Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Quilcom Transformer: an additive synth, easier to program

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Quilcom Transformer: an additive synth, easier to program

Postby Spogg » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:39 am

Hi all

This additive synth is easier to program sounds since it uses 6 generator modules each with a slider system to adjust relative partial amplitudes and also a graphic envelope module.

Often, with the Quilcom Adder, a preset was happy to have the same envelope for several partials. The Quilcom Transformer can achieve this quickly with a small trade-off of individual control of up to 16 partials at any ratios.
The Quilcom Transformer can do this of course with up to 6 individual partials at any ratio.

In addition each generator has a pitch envelope as does one FM and one Synth strip.

The architecture is similar to the Quilcom Adder but note that the 2 static filters are wired in parallel and there is a distortion module wired before the effects chain.

A futher benefit of the method used here is considerably lower CPU usage than the Quilcom Adder; again a trade-off in terms of tailoring sounds but well worth it I think.

I've created about 30 presets just to demonstrate possibilties and to offer as starting points.

For those not familiar with the stock modules underlying this project: If you double-right-click the draw-bar graph the graph is cleared and if you right-click the graphic envelope you get a load of options.

I do this for fun, as an intellectual challenge only, so feel free to use and abuse it as you wish.

I would very much welcome any type of feedback and any presets you may make.

Cheers

Spogg
Attachments
Quilcom Transformer 1.08.fsm
An additive synth that is easier to program
(1.41 MiB) Downloaded 1401 times
Last edited by Spogg on Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spogg

Re: Quilcom Transformer: an additive synth, easier to progra

Postby Nubeat7 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:10 pm

great spogg, thanks for sharing this, it sounds really good and i'm happy to get some insight in this well done synthesizer design!

just a little tip for you, if you select a module you can find a minimize toggle, with this you don't need to show all the gui and it can save you a lot of space which makes it much easier to follow the signals, its impossible for me to have a kind of overview how this thing is connected...
Attachments
minimize.png
minimize.png (11.2 KiB) Viewed 26346 times
Nubeat7

Postby Spogg » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:09 pm

Thanks Nubeat and for the tip. I'm a naturally untidy person so my schematics are vile to look at. I didn't explore this option about minimizing so I will look at that in my other projects currently under way. I use a dual 24 inch monitor setup so I have acres of screen space too, which doesn't encourage compactness!

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Nubeat7 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:52 pm

you are welcome spogg
Spogg wrote: I use a dual 24 inch monitor setup so I have acres of screen space too, which doesn't encourage compactness!

yes, i thought about something like this, i use a 15" laptop :D
so my schematics normally look like that
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2197
Nubeat7

Postby Spogg » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:07 pm

Jeez Nubeat7 that's just SO neat and stylish! I tend to just focus on function and sound and as long as the end result is mostly orange it'll do for me!
Cheers
Spogg
Spogg

Postby Nubeat7 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:32 pm

Spogg wrote: I tend to just focus on function and sound and as long as the end result is mostly orange it'll do for me!

FS is perfect for this, a little tidiness makes it just easier when it comes to searching bugs, which can get really painful in complex schematics and its also useful when you see the cpu at 100% and you need start optimizing

oh, yes i saw you like it orange ;)
Nubeat7

Postby Jay » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:28 am

Looking good Spogg :)

this latest version is just hitting about 5% cpu on my machine and around 240mb of ram running inside Flowstone, that's a huge difference from the first one you posted :D

keep on doing!
Jay

Postby newdsp » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:47 am

This is pretty kick ass and I like the graphical envelopes (I'm trying to make something similar or a better version of Sytrus because they ruined it) I just don't understand which one is the modulator and which one is the carrier. Which one modulates which one ? Or how do you set the target for any modulator ?
newdsp

Postby Spogg » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:11 am

Jeez this is an old one and I don’t remember much about it now, sorry. :oops:
Spogg

Postby newdsp » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:02 am

It's OK. It happens. At least the fsm file opens fine in the 309b2 so I should be able to figure some stuff out from the schematic. Theoretically.
newdsp

Return to User Examples