Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Lissajou Art

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Lissajou Art

Postby martinvicanek » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:29 am

Spogg wrote:may I ask... is the x,y,z display module universally useable and if so, what is the data format for the inputs? For instance, if I wanted to make a cube would I have to edit and match the inside of the xyz module or just push stuff into it to get what I want displayed?

The 3D rotation module uses a simple rotation matrix, look here: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EulerAngles.html
Inputs: coordinates x,y,z and three rotation angles (Euler angles, sclaed to 0-1 for a full rotation)
Outputs: rotated coordinates u,v,w (of which you need only two)
Grab your red/cyan glasses and enjoy it in 3D! ;)
Attachments
Polyhedron3D.fsm
(66.07 KiB) Downloaded 1309 times
martinvicanek

Postby Spogg » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:43 pm

Even more stunning in 3D. I guess you could use dolby 5.1 to record 3 or more channels for the 3D to be enjoyed by all.
No, that's just daft!

Still trying to get my head around the maths so I can do more with it. In the tetrahedron module I've removed the stages and set the 'h' as an input variable. This gives a shape stretching effect. But that's just messing about. I need to actually understand what's happening in there...

:ugeek:
Spogg

Postby Spogg » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:32 pm

Here is the latest Quilcom DEVILISH with the new module "Hedron".

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o54wbsu8n82gm ... n.zip?dl=0

This module is based on the truly wonderful engine and idea created by Martin Vinacek (see his posts above). There's no way I could have figured this out on my own.
I've created a range of 2D and 3D shapes with a demo preset for each one. There's a User preset based on the Square to play around with which has extra comments added to hopefully help clarify how to make your own shapes.

Tip: Get a piece of paper and sketch out what you want. Number each vertix (junction, pointy bit, angle) then decide on the drawing sequence to cover the whole shape. Sometimes you'll have to go over the same line more than once. Then work out each vertix co-ordinate relative to the start one, normally start is 0,0,0 for x,y,z(or just 0,0 for x,y for 2-D. z is then zero for all steps). I found that making the final step equal to the base or start position of 0,0,0 helped.
Write down each step like 3-4 4-7 7-2 etc. Then write down the 2nd co-ordinate for each step, this being the destination co-ordinate. Then put this co-ordinate set into the arrays for the step in question.
Count the number of steps and set the 3 array sizes to this number and the t values to the same amount.
With experimentation all should become clear.
I found it easier to visualise a z co-ordinate as "into" the display as positive and "out" of the display as negative. With the pan/tilt/rotate controls the sign doesn't matter as long as it's consistent.

Changes to the DEVILISH console:
- Made the display curve option False: This was causing visual artefacts on some patterns.
- Added a Hue knob. If set to the zero position this reverts to the original automatic colouring mode. I've found the auto mode can be a bit distracting for some patterns. The setting of this control in not stored in the presets since it's a matter of taste but you can enable preset in the knob's properties and it already has a unique name.

Tip: If you want to create a preset for any of the modules it's best to start with an existing preset which uses that module. Then rename it and start your work. After saving it you can then reload it into any preset number and then restore the original. I've included all the individual presets to make this easier.

As ever any feedback helps and encourages.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby martinvicanek » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:24 pm

Beautiful! It must have taken a good deal of work to create all those presets.
martinvicanek

Postby Spogg » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:46 am

Lissajou Feedback

This display effect was created by BobF. Via offline collaboration I was able to help improve and package the process ready for your enjoyment and interest (we hope!).
The technique basically involves converting the module display into a bitmap and applying an adjustable translation of size (scale), rotation and x-y offset.The video thus produced is then fed back into the display and mixed with the live original. It is also possible to translate the colour and alpha of the fed-back image. The alpha (transparency) setting determines the level of feedback and can be set to zero to give no feedback trails. At high settings there is positive feedback and this can be quite stunning.
In my eyes this system can create beautiful and hypnotic visual effects and although the visual process doesn't modify the sound it does enhance the pleasure you can get from many Lissajou patterns. For this reason it will find its way into my DEVILISH console at some point.

You can see some of the effects with a few presets I made but there are so many possibilities with just minor tweaks to the settings. Have a play and let us know what you think :D

Cheers

Spogg
Attachments
Lissajou Feedback -proof of concept by bobF and Spogg 1.0.fsm
enjoy!
(1022.18 KiB) Downloaded 1597 times
Spogg

Postby Spogg » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:32 pm

It's DEVILISH time again!

The original DEVILISH console contained 8 generators and when I started to make another one inside it I realised it was getting rather bloated. This meant that the load and save time was excessive and I got more crashes due to the project size.
For this reason I decided to call it DEVILISH 1st and start on a second console called... wait for it... DEVILISH 2nd :lol: . The 2nd one is the same basic console as the 1st but will be used for any more generators I make.

To launch the new console I've created a generator called Cager. This makes good use of the very excellent projection engine created by Martin Vinacek. I also used this in the Hedron module, along with his shape generator system, for producing various geometric shapes.

The Cager uses regular oscillators to feed the projection module this time to provide 3 axes x,y, and z and is capable of a very wide range of ouput. These include what I would term cages which appear to be 3 dimensional containers.

I've made 6 presets which illustrate a small sample of what is possible and there are notes on the GUI for the generator presets.

Here is the link to the DEVILISH 1st final:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5o3dlsdjbua8 ... 1.zip?dl=0
Edit: This contains the updated Magic Writer. I've changed the wave creation and player modules to be not interpolated. This has eliminated flyback artefacts and allows you to create straight lines by just clicking anywhere on the drawing pad, so you can now easily make geometric shapes much easier.

The DEVILISH 2nd is below.

I would LOVE some feedback!

Cheers

Spogg
Attachments
DEVILISH 2nd -with Cager - module 0 .zip
Enjoy!
(848.14 KiB) Downloaded 1361 times
Spogg

Postby Spogg » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:28 pm

Hi y'all

Is anyone still interested in this topic? I still am :lol:

I've been working on this, the Framer, for some time. It's what I call a frame sequencer. They're not really frames nor is it a proper sequencer but I like the name, so there!

The idea is to rapidly (or otherwise) sequence through a series of up to 8 sample blocks each containing a lissajou waveform. The frames can be played straight, amplitude ramped up for zoom in, or ramped down for zoom out. Each sample can be read out as recorded or pitched from the MIDI keyboard or DAW. You can set the x/y position of each sample for the display and the volume (size) of each frame too.

The length of every frame is determined by the sample size of frame 1. I've included a calculator to show the number of samples needed based on BPM and note fraction, e.g. a quarter note would be a fraction of 4 and at 120 BPM the sample size is 5512 at 44100 sample rate.

I've provided a basic Lissajou synth too just to add interest and variety.

In the Flowstone editing environment the visual performance is poor but I was very pleased to find that as a VSTi the display worked very well and accurately. So I've also included the exported VSTi, which I will do for any subsequent releases.

Also, every frame must have a wav loaded and I have no idea why, but there you go.

The module is pre-loaded with a simple star shape, made in the Magic Writer of the DEVILISH 1st. Each sample block is recorded for the 8 pitches of a major C scale. I've also included the Wavs in the zip file. There are 4 demo presets all made using the pre-loaded Wavs.

I found the best editing app for recording and editing the samples is the wonderful and free Audacity. You can select a region, type in the sample length needed and export the selection as a Wav. Very easy. Audacity will record with Flowstone running the DEVILISH and 44100 sample rate works fine.

There are so many possibilities with the Framer; zooming effects, basic animation and visual overload! It does take some work to create what you have in mind but I've had a lot of fun messing with this thing, both the audio pattern sequencing and the visual side. See what you can do and let me know if it works for you etc.

Cheers

Spogg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vswxnn7o5szs ... s.zip?dl=0
Spogg

Postby Perfect Human Interface » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:57 am

Hey Spogg, sorry my attention has been far from this stuff lately but I am glad you're still working on this. It all sounds very cool.

Honestly, I can imagine a lot of end-user musician types would be very interested in this kind of software (in a polished state), not just the developer types around here. There are so few people who post here but I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who would be into this kind of thing.
Perfect Human Interface

Postby Spogg » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:53 pm

I've made another module for the DEVILISH 2nd. Jeez, I think I can hear the cheering already :lol:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyin55vcn8g9o ... r.zip?dl=0

This one's called Orator. It's a nice simple one to fool around with. You use the microphone input to sing, talk or make stupid noises while playing MIDI notes. The voice is converted to a Lissajou pattern which you can influence by real-time feedback from watching the display. There are several ways to influence the display and sound; I hope that trying the presets and playing around should make it all clear.

I had a lot of fun, sad git that I am, messing around with this so I hope you get a bit of fun from it too.

Whatever you do, NO feedback please :lol:

...unless you want to...

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby lalalandsynth » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:43 pm

@ spogg

I am using the Lissajous , having loads of fun !
I am not using the colour changing thing , rather i use a trigger to come up with a new colour.
Wondering if its possible to save the colour with the preset ?

I am using this in a synth and at this point the Lissajouse setting get saved with the synth preset which is what I wanted however the colour does not get saved. Optimally I would like to save the colour but I am also wondering if its possible to have two save windows , one for the synth including lissjous settings and one for just the lissajous ?

Also , would be cool to rotate the complete view , rather then rotate the lissjous pattern , in case i have a cool pattern but would like to rotate for example 90 degrees CW etc.

I would say that my biggest issues is finding a way to save the random values for the colours if its possible ?

PS. Would it be possible to have a transparent background ?
lalalandsynth

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples