Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

minDy S: Inspired by the Mini Moog

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

minDy S: Inspired by the Mini Moog

Postby Spogg » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:17 am

Hello Flowmates!

I made a new topic for this because it was lost in the old one:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5258&hilit=minDy&start=450#p41253

Kevin Brown made a lovely synth inspired by the classic Mini Moog and I changed some stuff inside by adding some analogue modelling I’d made for my A.S.S.

Recently a guy called Manfred Plümer got in touch with Kevin and me, and was keen to make presets for this synth and went on to make many banks of them.

So there is a new download for the synth, which includes a few GUI changes and all of Manfred’s banks:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a91vpdp76ouvy ... 5.zip?dl=0

There are 2 versions of fsm (made in 3.06). One is with an audio input and one without, which is intended for users of FL Studio, so it can easily be added as an “instrument”.
Each version has 32 and 64 bit plugins made in FS4 alpha. The original presets are present as is the original Mini Moog manual for reference.
I thought this release was worthy of making a video for YouTube:

https://youtu.be/zvkUwghcTmw

Many thanks to Manfred and Kevin. I still think the Mini Moog is an amazing and classic instrument in its own right.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Re: minDy S: Inspired by the Mini Moog

Postby k brown » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:48 pm

'Greeny's being modest - everything that contributes to the synth's sound is his work: oscillators, filter, envelopes, improved gain-staging, analogue-y slew and bandwidth simulations and a bit of noise and 50 cycle hum on the output. That's why it proudly bears the "Powered by Quilcom" label!

Hats off to Spogg and Manfred for making this something I never could have. 8-) :D And a lovely video as usual (actually a bit more than usual - that's a great intro!) I just wish we could get you Brits to pronounce Robert's last name correctly - it rhymes with vogue! :cry: :D

Thanks again to Manfred Plumer for the Preset Banks and the impressive tracks for the video. And to Spogg for the A.S.S.-based analog-y signal 'voice'. :P

P.S. - Just curious, Spogg: what video editor do you use?
Last edited by k brown on Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby Spogg » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:51 pm

Thank you Kevin. :D

Without you Kevin, there would be no minDy S don’t forget. I was really blown away when I first found it.

I’ve tried a few Video editors, but I’ve settled on NCH Videopad. I pay for the new versions but I’m going to take out a subscription when this license expires. It’s not expensive and pretty intuitive to use. I also stick to NCH Wavepad these days, for which I have a subscription. I just find it very versatile and dead easy to use.
Both the apps are regularly updated and enhanced in a thoughtful and useful way.

For screen capture I use OBS studio which is completely free, and seems the best to me.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:57 pm

Thanks for that - I haven't heard of NCH; the only video editing I've done is on a Mac with iMovie. My PC is too old and slow for video editing - I'm surprised it can even run Flowstone!
k brown

Postby Spogg » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:00 pm

https://www.nchsoftware.com/

Australian outfit.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Halon » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:38 am

k brown wrote:'Greeny's being modest - everything that contributes to the synth's sound is his work: oscillators, filter, envelopes, improved gain-staging, analogue-y slew and bandwidth simulations and a bit of noise and 50 cycle hum on the output. That's why it proudly bears the "Powered by Quilcom" label!

Hats off to Spogg and Manfred for making this something I never could have. 8-) :D And a lovely video as usual (actually a bit more than usual - that's a great intro!) I just wish we could get you Brits to pronounce Robert's last name correctly - it rhymes with vogue! :cry: :D

Thanks again to Manfred Plumer for the Preset Banks and the impressive tracks for the video. And to Spogg for the A.S.S.-based analog-y signal 'voice'. :P

I pronounce it as the brits do aswell. It just sound more right. If it really rhymes with Vogue it should have been written like Mogue. But thats just me
Halon

Postby tulamide » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:34 am

Halon wrote:
k brown wrote:'Greeny's being modest - everything that contributes to the synth's sound is his work: oscillators, filter, envelopes, improved gain-staging, analogue-y slew and bandwidth simulations and a bit of noise and 50 cycle hum on the output. That's why it proudly bears the "Powered by Quilcom" label!

I pronounce it as the brits do aswell. It just sound more right. If it really rhymes with Vogue it should have been written like Mogue. But thats just me

Regarding names, I always thought it's arrogant to ignore the bearer of the name and just come up with something that I prefer.

Robert Moog was always proud of his German ancestors and therefore insisted on the Anglo-German Moog (which rhymes with rogue, mogue, etc.).
However, the company has long given up on that, which had become obvious latest, when they released "MoogerFooger" (pronounced as in a cow's moo)
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:07 am

Here he talks about how his name is pronounced…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDN-y0QQ7cs

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:21 am

Great clip - I'd not seen that before. So interesting that some of his extended family pronounce it the other way.

I've never understood that whole MoogerFooger bit; what word play is it supposed to be? It's never made any sense to me no matter which way it's pronounced - especially if pronounced the way Robert preferred. MoguerFoguer? what's that supposed to reference or be a spin on? What am I missing? Is it a riff on the name of some other pedal or effect?
k brown

Postby tulamide » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:27 am

k brown wrote:I've never understood that whole MoogerFooger bit; what word play is it supposed to be?

Aww, you're so innocent :mrgreen:

EDIT: I also found an innocent (although yukky) relation in the urban dictionary.
Mooger Fooger
(food) a chocolate filled potato.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Next

Return to User Examples