Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Morph 3 waveforms

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Morph 3 waveforms

Postby BobF » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:08 pm

MorphSine2Saw2Sqr.fsm
(9.85 MiB) Downloaded 1020 times

Hello gang,
How about a little challenge while we are all sitting at home do to the Coronavirus. I have made this little module that will morph from a SINE to a SAW to a Square wave. Let’s see how many variations on this theme can be made. You can use any wave forms you like, Sine, Triangle, Saw, Ramp, Square, Pulse, and so on. The only rule is you need to morph from 1 to at least 3 other wave forms or more, the more the better. I have been attempting 4, but have NOT seceded as yet. Hope you will all join in and just have some fun with it.

P.S., I noted a bleep (glitch) in mine if anyone can correct it, that would be great! Thanks.....

Later then, BobF…..
BobF

Re: Morph 3 waveforms

Postby Halon » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:15 pm

Great stuff Bob!
Halon

Postby Spogg » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:33 am

Interesting idea Bob! :shock:

This is not cross-fading I see, so is quite a challenge. I’m really busy with my own stuff at the moment but I’ll keep this is mind.
In the meantime I would welcome an explanation of your approach (I’m being too lazy to work it out from the schematic :lol: ).

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:19 am

Yes, Bob's wave-y things are a constant mystery to me - glad to hear I'm not the only one. :? :lol:
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby BobF » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:14 pm

Hello gang,

Ok, so how does it work? The input sine wave is gain controlled by a VCA along with the knob (range .1 to 6). The sine wave next travels through three wave shapers. First a distortion module (author unknown, maybe MV?), then my “square to 2x saw” module, then my “variable clipper”. It next passes through my "automatic gain control" module, then a dc blocker and out. As it happens, knob values of 0.40 or below the sine wave passes through the three wave shapers with no effect and the AGC keeps it at a usable volume. As the knob goes beyond 0.40 and the sine waves gain increases through the distortion module the shape changes slowly to a square wave. The square wave then passes through the “square to 2x saw” module and is converted to a ruff saw wave and again the AGC keeps it at a usable volume. The knob has a dual function! As the saw passes through the variable clipper and the knob reaches a value of 4.00 and beyond the saw wave starts to clip both positive and negative peaks till it’s a square wave. That’s it, through the AGC and out.

P.S., sorry I missed this in the first post, my “square to 2x saw” module multiplies all waveforms by two, I am working on fixing this if possible.

Stay safe all, BobF.....
BobF

Postby adamszabo » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:37 am

Whats the advantage of this over using standard crossfade between generated waveforms?
adamszabo

Postby k brown » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:59 am

The best example of the difference between true morph and crossfade is Saw to Tri; there have been a couple of true morphs done (Spogg did one) - when one of these is put halfway between Saw and Tri, a beautiful, rich timbre results that is impossible to achieve by crossfading Saw and Tri.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby martinvicanek » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:00 am

adamszabo wrote:Whats the advantage of this over using standard crossfade between generated waveforms?
Morphing between classical waveforms has a flavor of PWM.
martinvicanek

Postby tulamide » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:01 am

crossfade_vs_morph.png
crossfade_vs_morph.png (2.67 KiB) Viewed 16851 times
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby BobF » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:30 pm

Morph versus Crossfade.fsm
(8.35 MiB) Downloaded 992 times

Hello Gang,

Here is an example of Morph versus Crossfade. Now my Saw wave is not perfect and you do not get all the particles, but if you play with the knobs you will see the differences.

Ok gang, I hope I am not the only one here to post one, lets see some more Morphs!

Later then, BobF.....
BobF

Next

Return to User Examples