Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

ARP Odyssey vs Octave CAT

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

ARP Odyssey vs Octave CAT

Postby k brown » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:32 pm

Why choose? - here's both in one plugin.

A Match Made In Heaven:

odyKAT copy.png
odyKAT copy.png (132.16 KiB) Viewed 8206 times

odyKAT.fsm
(3.96 MiB) Downloaded 875 times

The CAT was clearly based on the Odyssey concept (there was even legal action), but it had three big things the Ody didn't - mixable waveforms in both VCOs and Sub Oscs in both, plus each mod input could select from three sources rather than Ody's two; no small things, but otherwise lacked a lot of what the Ody had: dedicated source mixer for S/H input and Lag control of S/H output, White and Pink Noise, Ring Mod, simple High Pass filter, LFO-trig of both EGs and in the later models, performance control of vibrato, and much more usable Pitch Bend. The CAT did also appeal due to it's lower price.

Many of the CAT's shortcomings were addressed by the "Factory Modifications" available as kits from Octave. These were mainly footpedal control of each VCO, both VCOs, filter cutoff, VCO Sine level (vibrato) and Volume. Another clever mod was a set of switches that allowed any combination of VCO 2's and the VCF's mods to follow the amount controls in VCO 1.

I've implemented the pedal inputs/controls as MIDI CC selectors, so one can use any combination of Mod Whl, Footpedal or whatever.

I did a mashup of these two before, but went way overboard with it and added a kitchen sink's worth of stuff that just made it a bit cluttered and intimidating; here I stuck almost entirely to things found only on the CAT SRM (with Factory Mods) and the Odyssey.

UPDATE 5/17 - Additional presets by JF Dugast - thanks!
Last edited by k brown on Sun May 17, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Re: ARP Odyssey vs Octave CAT

Postby tektoog » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:38 am

Hey,
thanks for the info... And your hard work... ;)
I've posted a new thread where you can get some fine inspiration for the future, but you probably know the guy already... but probably not the place, as I was myself not aware of it until a few weeks ago :o :shock:
Take care,
TekTooG
"Essential random order for chaotic repetitive sequences"
tektoog

Re: ARP Odyssey vs Octave CAT

Postby k brown » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:20 pm

No, I hadn't heard of that. Words fail.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Return to User Examples