Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Synthmaker bundle

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Synthmaker bundle

Postby k brown » Thu May 03, 2018 4:30 pm

I've noticed a lot of your schematics use those 'junctions' which as I recall during my FS demo period were just a 'straight wire' inside a module. What's the purpose of those?

Also - why are these being done with stream monos instead of polys?
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby k brown » Thu May 03, 2018 5:12 pm

Since I'm the dope without FS, let's do this the other way 'round. Here's a schematic of my situation. With a 0.5 float - perfect square, with a PW control, a saw on acid. Maybe it's not the same saw you guys are using.
capture.png
capture.png (121.21 KiB) Viewed 19749 times
BLIT PWM mess.osm
(57.1 KiB) Downloaded 994 times
k brown

Postby martinvicanek » Thu May 03, 2018 11:09 pm

Spogg wrote:I appear to have spogged one of Martin's schematics!

You are very welcome! 8-)
Funny thoung, I was tempted to apply the very same tweak this morning but then decided not to. The thing is you nail the min/max values so it looks neat and all but in doing so you are adding DC! :!:
martinvicanek

Postby martinvicanek » Thu May 03, 2018 11:45 pm

k brown wrote:Thanks for that, but I can't open the schematic I only have SM.

Ouch!

In general, is there an advantage to doing PWM with a steam subtract rather than mixing the phase-shifted saw through an inverter?
It's the same thing.

About the images I posted - there must something I'm not understanding. When I try to post larger, higher-res images I get a warning that they must 600 pixels on the largest dimension.
Actually 650. When reducing the image use better interpolation methods than nearest neighbor.

I've noticed a lot of your schematics use those 'junctions' which as I recall during my FS demo period were just a 'straight wire' inside a module. What's the purpose of those?
Mostly to tidy up the wiring. You can also use those for integer conversion or trigger extraction bu choosing a particular output pin type.

Also - why are these being done with stream monos instead of polys?
Just a demo - works also n poly.

The problem in your schematic was a faulty phase implementation :oops: Fix attached.
Attachments
BLIT PWM less of a mess.osm
(56.98 KiB) Downloaded 985 times
martinvicanek

Postby k brown » Fri May 04, 2018 12:03 am

So!- the code I had was different; I thought I'd lost my marbles. Thanks so much for fixing that.

'Cause I'm not shy about begging - did you ever do one of these as a Triangle?

The DC problem you mentioned - is that also true of the 'fancier' PWM shown the schematic at the top of my post? That one also maintains a centered waveform at all pulse widths.
k brown

Postby k brown » Fri May 04, 2018 12:40 am

So, I tried your saw with the 'fancy' pwm (stays-centered) method and it didn't work! I noticed your oscillators have a different phase relationship to the stock oscillators. Here's how I modified the PWM to work with your oscs.

Centered PWM wVicnak BLIT Saw copy.png
Centered PWM wVicnak BLIT Saw copy.png (109.7 KiB) Viewed 19733 times

Does this have DC on the output?
k brown

Postby martinvicanek » Fri May 04, 2018 2:21 am

You can easily measure DC by placing a lowpass with sufficiently low cutoff. ;)
martinvicanek

Postby Spogg » Fri May 04, 2018 6:52 am

martinvicanek wrote:The thing is you nail the min/max values so it looks neat and all but in doing so you are adding DC! :!:

Yes indeed! It's the problem of assymetrical waveforms having a dc component.
I guess it depends on what application for the PWM signal you have in mind.
Also, if you have a scope display on your synth, users might not like to see that apparent "offset" shifting as you change the pulse width. So as you say, mine looks better :lol:

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Sun May 06, 2018 5:43 pm

I put a couple of u-he synths on a scope and they don't keep the pulse waves centered with varying width, so probably safe to say it's a non-issue in the real world. On some, the scope in the plugin itself shows the waveform staying centered, so it must be receiving a 'corrected' wave so it 'looks nice' on the scope. I do use the centered, unipolar version in LFOs though, so the pitch stays 'tuned'. It's interesting that there seems to be no consensus regarding unipolar vs bipolar on LFO waveforms in the synth world hardware or software. Dave Smith's LFO waves are all uni except Sine and Tri, none of u-he's (of the ones I checked) are uni, the ARP 2600 hardware - same as Smith's. Same with 'voltage' ranges of LFO waves; Smith's are +/- 5v on the bi-polars, 0-5v on the uni's while others' are 0-10 on unis, ARP Odyssey's are all over the place, etc.

Anywho, thanks again Martin for these and the correction - they sound great and do keep the CPU load at bay.

Great work, and I've given you credit on my website.
k brown

Postby Logado » Sun May 13, 2018 4:47 pm

Wow so many cool sounds and good emotions. Thanks for this post
Logado

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples