Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Synthmaker bundle

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Synthmaker bundle

Postby Spogg » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:42 am

TrendSetter wrote:Sometimes, even when I make unique names for parameters it doesn't seem to register. Maybe this is this a bug.

Fascinating! The preset manager can be a bit buggy, like the Lock checkbox needs to be changed, saved and then changed back to what you want and the project saved again. But not always :lol:
If you don't do this the Lock function can sometimes be the opposite of what's selected.

Could you give more details of the issue you had?

More info:
When you change a preset parameter name you then have to re-save the preset(s), reload it, save it (in the preset manager's property view) and then save the project.Then it should "take" correctly. Not ideal for sure but that's the only process that is guaranteed to work every time (so far for me!).

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:43 pm

By the way - what exactly does the Lock function do? in every SM project by others that I've looked at (that are filled with presets), that box has been unchecked.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby Spogg » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:07 am

Have a look at my tutorial which I just updated:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5985#p28501

If there are questions afterwards just ask...

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby TrendSetter » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:57 am

It's so inspiring to talk to you all.

Similarly - when I'm not busy making thousands of soft synth presets and hundreds of compositions and project files, I take a break to paint landscapes and portraits.

Excellent tutorial, Spogg. Thanks.
So Lock-off is like an auto-save that only applies to that VSTi instance.
You can put a switch right on it.
It's better to save .txt than .fxb, for SM compatibility.

k brown, with any kind of presets you've made, you can easily save the Preset Manager .txt and load it into SM to write to a .dll.

I completely agree with Spogg's suggestions about setting up factory preset banks.
When I finish the one I'm making now, I'll post my version of that.
k brown wrote: "In all cases, the Velocity output of the MIDI to Poly module is connected to the target parameter through an adjustable vca.

Not sure what you mean by 'velocity locking' and 'feedback'."
Thanks, you helped me realize that it's as simple as this:
SynthMaker / FlowStone Velocity Sensitivity With Knob

I'm simply connecting velocity to oscillator amplitude to make the key presses more piano/organ-like.
I haven't tackled matrix routing, yet.
I'm glad that my method retains the original note velocity when another note is pressed, unlike some of the korg volcas.

Velocity lock is an easily accessible option on midi keyboards (like my m-audio axiom), which allow it to send a consistent midi value, rather than based up on a selected velocity sensitivity curve, which sends a different value depending upon how aggressively you press the keys.

I was getting feedback by trying to switch between the original signal and the velocity midi data because, within the safe haven of SM, I'm prancing around blindfolded, flailing hot wires all over the place.
k brown wrote:"adding aftertouch to a lot of them because I like to play them with my ancient Casio Horn 'wind controller' which sends AT data."
That's amazing. It sounds like tons of fun. Reminds me of a recent amusing thread about VSTi saxes at KVR.
Spogg wrote:
TrendSetter wrote:Sometimes, even when I make unique names for parameters it doesn't seem to register.
"Fascinating! ...
Could you give more details of the issue you had?"
This was an issue with things like detuners, which was especially bad when loading up a blank preset because it would make all kinds of bizarre sounds unless I selected the detuner values from the menu.
The detuners have seemed fine since I replaced the menu selectors with duplicated and customized "fine" knobs.
TrendSetter

Postby TrendSetter » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:58 am

Concerning a consistent pitch envelope, does anybody have any resources showing a correct conversion from an ADSR?

For example, applying a max value of 140 to the Amount knob (when the ADSR is routed into an OSC frequency) can result in C bending 12 semitones, but it's atonal on the other keys.

Spogg's tutorial also helped me find the FS User Manual and that has tons of goodies in it, which will probably help.
TrendSetter

Postby Spogg » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi trendsetter

I’m glad you found my little preset tutorial thing of some use :D

Regarding pitch envelopes you need to consider that the musical scale is non-linear. So you double the frequency for every increase of 1 octave for example.

This means that you need a stream multiplier in line with the 0-1 frequency control of an oscillator and control its gain (amplification) from an envelope suitably attenuated or amplified. In addition you need a float value of 1 into the multiplier’s level input. The reason is that with the envelope amount set to zero you want the 0-1 control range to be unaffected. So you add to, or subtract from a gain of 1 with the envelope.

Let’s say the envelope is going between 0 and 1 so the gain control is then going between 1 (unity) and 2. This means that at the envelope peak leads to a multiplication by 2, which is one octave irrespective of the incoming frequency control level. This will then be in tune over the whole keyboard range because every note will go up one octave maximum.

If you want 1 semitone bend then attenuate the envelope by a factor of 1/12 and so forth.

You can of course invert the polarity of the envelope. In this case you want a transition of 0 to -0.5 maximum so you subtract 0.5 from 1 to give a gain of 0.5 which is one octave lower.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby TrendSetter » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:25 am

Thanks!
Your explanations are so clear and well written, Spogg.

My pitch envelope functions exactly as I want, with a Stream Multiplier and a Float point value of 1.
Now the max value of the ADSR Amount knob corresponds to the number of Octaves.

Switches to activate the pitch envelope for each oscillator can be made, easily

It seems like another Stream Multiplier needs to be set up for each oscillator.
Last edited by TrendSetter on Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
TrendSetter

Postby TrendSetter » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:39 am

Funny story.
I added some things to the Toolbox.
When I tried to relaunch SM, the window would disappear at the Initializing stage. SM wouldn't open.

So, I tried to reinstall. I watched the folder stupidly, while the uninstallation erased all my synths, which were in the default SM directory.

Reinstalling had no effect. It still closes at "Initializing..."

I don't use that computer for SM anymore.
(Windows 10 x64)
I also don't save anything to the Toolbox anymore.
At least for now, until I figure this out.

ah hah ahh...
:lol:
TrendSetter

Postby Spogg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:28 am

Could I kindly suggest that topics like this and general questions should ideally be started under a new topic heading. I know this doesn't always apply if there's some tangential issue arising, but if you do this you may get more responses.

I'm not scolding you! Just saying what would be a better way for the forum.

Now to the issue: I personally had problems running Flowstone under Windows 10 32 bit experimentally. Either producing an error on load or simply not saving the schematic. Interestingly I tried the 3.09 alpha that was current at the time and it was fine.

The other thing to look for is to check if the Recovery folder is empty and if not then delete the file that's inside.
The folder (Windows 7) is

C:\Users\<username>\Appdata\Roaming\Flowstone\Recovery

Also it's a good idea to make backups of the whole Appdata Flowstone folder from time to time.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:01 pm

Update:

Matrix-Six1p has had it's oscillators updated to more closely function like their inspiration, u-he's Podolski. Also a few refinements and fixes to both it and Matrix-Six1.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples