Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Synthmaker bundle

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Synthmaker bundle

Postby k brown » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:11 am

Uh-Oh, look out - already there's minDy 2:

Many features/functions patterned after the Roland/SE Electronics SE-02, but retaining minDy's vintage interface.

- Multiwave LFO, with S/H and Random.
- Three-function XMod section.
- Sync.
- Filt EG control of Osc 2.
- Inverse-able Filter EG amount.

minDy 2_600.jpg
minDy 2_600.jpg (103.48 KiB) Viewed 19541 times
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby Phil Thalasso » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:04 pm

Hi Kevin,

wonderful that you obviously started to work on projects again. And once again cheers for sharing it all.

@djbrynte

Kevin has already been featured in magazines, one of which (Beat, German version, Sonderheft #12/02-2017) referred to him as plug-in guru. That's precisely what he is.
At times I wondered whether he's one person or an entire team :-)

Regards
Phil
Phil Thalasso

Postby k brown » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:50 pm

Slight correction to minDy in the spirit of hardware emulation: the wheel switches have been removed from the bank at upper right because neither the original nor the re-release had output jacks for the wheel. To approximate the new 'D's 'Mod Source' rear panel jack, when the Velocity and/or Aftertouch switches on the 'Mod' line are activated, those CV sources replace 'Noise' in the Mod Mix, and the labels there change to 'Ext' to reflect this. Also added Vel and AT sensitivity controls.
Last edited by k brown on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
k brown

Postby djbrynte » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:40 pm

@djbrynte

Kevin has already been featured in magazines, one of which (Beat, German version, Sonderheft #12/02-2017) referred to him as plug-in guru. That's precisely what he is.
At times I wondered whether he's one person or an entire team

Cool man!
djbrynte

Postby k brown » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:25 am

A fairly significant upgrade to Yumaha CS75M:

- More flexible 'VCOs'. In place of the Saw and Pulse on/off switches are cross-fade sliders. The Saw slider x-fades Sine>Peak>Saw>HiPass-filtered Saw (Spike). The Pulse slider x-fades Sine>Tri>Square>Narrowing Pulses.
Click on the Saw/Pulse labels to turn one or both off.

- In place of the crap 'Chorus' section (I never could concoct a decent chorus with SM) is a Delay with very long Feedback and up to 10 sec. Delay Time.
One can almost do an approximation of 'Frippertronics'.

Yumaha CS75M_600.jpg
Yumaha CS75M_600.jpg (65.54 KiB) Viewed 19479 times
k brown

Postby Spogg » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi guys

I’ve been having fun with one of Kevin Brown’s synths; the minDy.

Kevin Brown created a wonderful synth, heavily inspired by the Minimoog. He did all the hard work but I was inspired to “enhance” the sound by adding my analogue modelling modules and techniques. I’ve had the cheek to name it minDy S too!

capture.png
capture.png (1009.31 KiB) Viewed 19448 times

I’ve made use of Martin Vicanek’s excellent and CPU-efficient oscillators, but the CPU is a little higher than the original, due to the modelling overhead. If that’s important for you then use his original one.

You can get it here:

EDIT: this now has its own topic with new versions and lots of nice banks to play with:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40801#p119718

This is a list of the changes made:

• Oscillators 1-3 now use analogue sounding enhancements. These include a low level noise component, free-running emulation, minor scaling “errors”, slew rate emulation and wave-shaping based on published waveform images.
• Replaced the filter with an emulation of a 24dB/Oct low pass ladder which can be “overdriven” and can self-oscillate.
• The envelope generators emulate the original Moog shape and behaviour. The attack section is about 0.6 of an inverse exponential curve and the decay and release are exponential. The famous "snap” is also modelled.
• Added a front-panel preset manager with several generic presets.
• Oscillator’s tuning corrected to +/- 7 semitones (was -12 to +7) and centre detent removed to allow for finer detune settings. The zero position can now be set using a double-click, as well as the original cntrl-click.
• Internally changed the frequency modulation to emulate 1V/Oct behaviour which allows for real FM and equal pitch deviation across the whole keyboard range.
• Corrected the Low Frequency settings for Oscillator 3 so no “negative” frequencies (phase inversion) are created below the centre fine tune position. Changed the rate range to 0.1 Hz – 20 Hz.
• Changed the “pressed” colour on the red rocker switches.
• Used Martin Vicanek’s LFO oscillators for the separate LFO and halved the output swing for better modulation control range from the mod wheel.
• Some changes made to internal levels to suit new modules.
• Added vintage analogue electronic noise and hum at a very low level.

Kevin, please feel free to add this to your ever-growing archive if you wish. Also I’d like to feature it on Flowstoners under Flowmates, but only if you think that’s acceptable.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:08 pm

Wow - amazing!

Some very nice presets.

A couple of requests, if you care to:

- Re-do the Preset Manager to the dark, skinny bar below the GUI (as on most of my other stuff), so as not to mar the walnut panel.

- Possibly remove the Wheel switches at the upper right (and add Vel and AT sensitivity controls), as I did on my update? :

"Slight correction to minDy in the spirit of hardware emulation: the wheel switches have removed from the bank at upper right because neither the original nor the re-release had output jacks for the wheel. To approximate the new 'D's 'Mod Source' rear panel jack, when the Velocity and/or Aftertouch switches on the 'Mod' line are activated, those CV sources replace 'Noise' in the Mod Mix, and the labels there change to 'Ext' to reflect this. Also added Vel and AT sensitivity controls".

Otherwise, yes do with it as you like.

This is great, thanks for doing this. OK if I put it on my website?
k brown

Postby Spogg » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:24 am

Hi Kevin

I was never really too happy with the preset manager placement actually, so I’ve done what you asked and re-worked it in the style of some of your other synths.

capture.png
capture.png (749.63 KiB) Viewed 19415 times

EDIT: this now has its own topic with new versions and lots of nice banks to play with:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40801#p119718

I looked inside the minDy 2 and it’s certainly great and more flexible, but I decided to stay with the version that inspired me to do the work in the first place. I actually like the simplicity and the creative challenges it brings. Since I called it the minDy S it’s differentiated from your first and later iteration too.

Bob Moog certainly knew what he was doing and achieved so much with so little, and I like that ethos. These days we have the luxury of creating mega synths that do so much (too much sometimes, in my view) but the Minimoog is a design classic that provides all the essentials, looks good and is easy to operate.

I hope I haven’t disappointed you, and if not, please consider this to be a gift in return for all you’ve shared with us. If you want to share it on your website please go ahead; I would be honoured.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby djbrynte » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:15 am

K brown ur realy amazing. doing this stuff. Ur realy pro! Your realy talent.

Wonder how u get ur skillz :D

Must admit on some points ur even better then me!
djbrynte

Postby k brown » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:04 am

Spogg wrote:I was never really too happy with the preset manager placement actually, so I’ve done what you asked and re-worked it in the style of some of your other synths.

Ahh, that's very nice thanks for doing that; I totally see your point about sticking to original minDy; would you consider adding the Velocity and Aftertouch sensitivity mini-knobs from the latest minDy update? - they are on the re-issued minimoog (back panel), so an 'official' enhancement.

Thanks again, and thanks to Martin for all his work you've been able to include.
k brown

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples