Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Midi Channel Monitor

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Midi Channel Monitor

Postby PatieThePC » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:27 pm

This is my first post here.

I'am new to flowstone and ruby.
I want to make a Midi-Monitor and later a controller of it.
This is wat i made till now.

Maybe some of jou have some tips?
Attachments
Midi Channel Monitor v2.31.fsm
(86.8 KiB) Downloaded 1042 times
screen.jpg
Midi Channel Monitor v2.3 screenshot
screen.jpg (86.44 KiB) Viewed 28254 times
Last edited by PatieThePC on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 9 times in total.
PatieThePC

Re: Midi Channel Monitor

Postby Spogg » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:48 am

Hi PatieThePC and welcome to the forum :D

This is really good, it works fine with my M-Audio Keystation 61es and I put it straight into my toolbox so thank you very much for sharing.

I renamed the keys in the Ruby module from D#, G#, A# to Eb, Ab, Bb because I'm used to that naming system.

I don't know what you had in mind originally but it might be nice to have a bar graph display for CC values; maybe a dedicated one for pitchbend and modwheel and one where you can select the CC for less common ones like aftertouch etc. Just a thought and I like it as it is!

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:03 am

Spogg wrote:I renamed the keys in the Ruby module from D#, G#, A# to Eb, Ab, Bb because I'm used to that naming system.

Caution, Mr Wisenheimer speaks: Both of you would be wrong. You see, there is a difference between D sharp and E flat. You might not notice it, since we are used to play on equal tempered piano replicas. But, for example, on a violin it may be a noticable difference.
When to use sharp, and when to use flat? Whenever you're ascending it's a sharp, when descending a flat.
Ascending or descending from what? From the key you're in and the chord you're in (chord progression). Basically, from the root.
But for midi there is no key, it is just naming the pre-defined midi note-numbers. Yes, and no. There is a root. Midi defines (and only defines) middle C as midi note number 60. Regarding that, it would be sharps all the way up from 61 to 127, and flats all the way down from 59 to 0.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:05 pm

Fascinating! I never knew that tulamide.

It makes sense too since if you are sliding a note on a violin the next one along will be the current note either flattened or sharpened, depending on direction.

In my case if you pointed to MIDI note 63 and asked me its name I would automatically say Eb not D#. But in fact it's both of course.

I can't imagine how a Ruby program could deal with that :lol:

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby PatieThePC » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:48 pm

Spogg wrote:Fascinating! I never knew that tulamide.

It makes sense too since if you are sliding a note on a violin the next one along will be the current note either flattened or sharpened, depending on direction.

In my case if you pointed to MIDI note 63 and asked me its name I would automatically say Eb not D#. But in fact it's both of course.

I can't imagine how a Ruby program could deal with that :lol:

Cheers

Spogg

Tnx for the info Spogg and Tulamide,
I was thinking about that ptoblem. One sulution maybe is "Let ruby remember last note and than calculate if the note go's up or down" But i'am beginner in ruby, so it wil take a while for me to figure that out.
PatieThePC

Postby PatieThePC » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:54 pm

First my excusses for my not very good english, i'am from the Netherlands so enlish is not my native language ;)

A made a little progress on the Monitor. Now all 16 Channels are readout, and i put the ruby-code for each channel in to one ruby_module.

Now i want to try put the greens for the level_meters togeter in one mudule, maybe in ruby also.

More functions comming soon.
My goal is to make a complete Midi-Monitor/Controller of it.

New version in first-post
PatieThePC

Postby Spogg » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:09 pm

I was thinking about that ptoblem. One sulution maybe is "Let ruby remember last note and than calculate if the note go's up or down" But i'am beginner in ruby, so it wil take a while for me to figure that out.

Damn fine work for a "beginner" I'd say!

One problem I can see is what do you display if it's the 1st note played and it's a Bb (A#)?
Another is what if the key changes?

Also I might be confused if the naming changed as I played.

One possible addition would be a switch to select note name or MIDI note number...

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:45 pm

I'm afraid I added more confusion than I helped. The notation does not change during play!

If you're just interested in displaying the note name equivalent to the midi number than it is sharps above midi key 60 and flats below midi key 60.

58 = Bb
59 = B
60 = C
61 = C#

This wouldn't change ever.

If you want to show the note names depending on the key of the song (don't confuse this with the midi key), you can only force the user to set one up.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby PatieThePC » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:44 pm

Hello,
I'am back again.

I've made some changes to my midi Monitor/Controller

The level sliders are working now.
I have changed the playing notes to be displayd in a piano. You can chance the display channel by
clicking on the channel-number.

Most work was at the inside. But more functions are comming sone.

Hope jou like ik. Tips are welcome ;-)
PatieThePC

Return to User Examples