Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Accuracy of Ticks and Timers

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Accuracy of Ticks and Timers

Postby user_fm » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:05 pm

Hello,
Just decided to check whether it makes sense to replace Timer component (the green one used for trigger delays) by Ruby delay.
So the first question - does both ways has the same accuracy?

Checking this in schematic I've detected that 1 ms delay leads to much higher delay (depending on set latency/buffer size of ASIO).
(schematic attached)

Concerning accuracy of Ruby timing: If it is really accurate, then with a period of 1 second the time of incoming trigger in the schematics hould be changed with each new trigger only in "integer area", but actually there is variance also in ms (up to 20ms).
So is it true, that Ruby timer with 0.001 step will provide ticking with 1ms period? or there will be something like this:.....!....!..!......!..!...!.... ?
Attachments
wtf.fsm
(6.89 KiB) Downloaded 1331 times
user_fm

Re: Accuracy of Ticks and Timers

Postby chackl » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:29 pm

Well i also posted a question about that and the reply i got was verry simple:

If you do something with grenn Triggers it is not accurate. It will be only accurate if you do it within ruby modules.
100% accuracy is the guarantee to your success. The value alters if you combine it with musical creativity.
chackl

Postby user_fm » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:17 pm

Thanks, chackl

That's terrible.
user_fm

Postby support » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:16 pm

Indeed, it is that simple: Ruby values and MIDI use the new event system to pass values, everything else uses the trigger system as before.

So you need to keep time critical elements within MIDI or Ruby Value sections of schematic to preserve timing accuracy. Not everything needs this kind of accuracy so those sections will probably be quite small though there's nothing to stop you doing everything in Ruby using the events system if you want to.

I've attached an adjusted version of your schematic that keeps everything in the events system. As you can see, the timing difference is preserved extremely well.
Attachments
wtf explained.fsm
(7.28 KiB) Downloaded 1393 times
support

Postby trogluddite » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:01 pm

Thanks, support, that's just the kind of example I've been looking for to get this clear in my head.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby Tronic » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:20 pm

Clock Accuracy
If you have any of the DirectSound or ASIO primitives in your schematic and these are switched on
then the clock will automatically switch to run in sync with the audio processing. You can then schedule
events to occur with sample precise timing within any audio frame.

but this is also valid for the vst?
Tronic

Postby support » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:55 pm

Yes Tronic, it uses the callback from the audio host in that case.
support

Postby Tronic » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:12 pm

thx support.
Tronic

Return to User Examples