Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

The 555 timer

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

The 555 timer

Postby BobF » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:54 pm

BobsX555.fsm
(167.48 KiB) Downloaded 1221 times

Hello gang,
It has been said some people shy away from Flowstone because it has no electronic components like resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors, and so on. Also a few even asked why no 555 timer. Well one solution I have always used and like is creating your own stuff. Thanks to Martin we have resistors and capacitors from his excellent “double-T-filter”, and now I have made a 555 timer. I call it the X555, because it is experimental. It works very close to the true hardware 555 timer, but not 100%. It does do timing functions (one shot). For instance set the “Mode Selector” to trigger, select a resistor value of 10, and a capacitor value of .1, and then press the trigger button till the led comes on and watch the scope. It will also oscillate. Set the mode selector to free running, select a resistor value of 10, and a capacitor value of .001, and view scope. Of course other values of resistors and capacitor values can be selected for other timings and oscillator frequencies. Now I only chose some common resistor and capacitor values to play with. The whole idea is for you to experiment with this yourself. Try other values till you find the upper and lower limits of it. There are also other configurations that can be had and many, many uses. If you do not know the 555 timer, search the internet. You will find a world of information and applications.

Ok then that’s it, enjoy. Please do experiment a lot and if you create any new configurations and make any great application, PLEASE post them. Also any other comments, bugs, suggestions, are always welcome.
P.S., Other electronic component stuff coming down the road, watch for them.

Later then, BobF…..
BobF

Re: The 555 timer

Postby Spogg » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:09 pm

Seems to work fine Bob.

Another weird FS project as usual Bob! Excellent.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby pshannon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:35 am

I just downloaded it, I am with Bob, I would like to see more electronic stuff. I was actually going to make the 555 timer myself, but if it is already done, I will check it and see how I can fit it into my logic gates and binary adder and subtractor. I am looking into replicating more IC chips too. The resistors and capacitors might be hard to do with flowstone, but I think it is possible to replicate the idea.
pshannon

Postby pshannon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:51 am

This one is designed for sound streams and not controlling logic gates and flip flops. You did good work, but not what I was looking for. The 555 Timer is used all the time with 8 bit home brew computers on breadboards. If I am wrong, please tell me because I looked at pretty quickly. Thanks
Last edited by pshannon on Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
pshannon

Postby BobF » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:57 am

Hi pshannon,

Thanks for looking at my 555 timer. Exactly what use do you have in mind for its use?

Also do a search for my digital logic tools, part 1 and 2.

Hope to see some of your creations soon!

Cheers, BobF.....
BobF

Postby pshannon » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:32 am

Hey Bob,

I meant to say I wanted to use it for Logic gates and low-level computer clocking. The main purpose of the timer is for controlling the toggle switch. I was trying to do this virtually. My link might make more sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCwJNnx36Rk
pshannon

Return to User Examples