Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

MIDI controlled vibrato/tremolo effect

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

MIDI controlled vibrato/tremolo effect

Postby martinvicanek » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:14 am

Hi gang, this little device applies a vibrato or tremolo effect to an audio stream. Nothing sensational really. I use it for postprocessing vocals or solo instruments, controlling the amount of the effect with the mod wheel of my MIDI controller.
Attachments
Vibrato_MIDI.fsm
(62.71 KiB) Downloaded 903 times
martinvicanek

Re: MIDI controlled vibrato/tremolo effect

Postby adamszabo » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:50 am

Really simple and effective, thanks!
adamszabo

Postby Spogg » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:03 pm

Very nice Martin and thanks for sharing.

I like the fact that the vibrato depth is in semitones, presumably so the centre frequency remains stable for any depth setting.

One thing…
The module hung with a bang when I set the frequency to zero, so I just made the minimum 0.01 Hz. Some oscillators just stop at zero Hz so it gave me a shock (had the speakers at high volume :lol: ).

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby martinvicanek » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:42 pm

Oops - thanks for pointing that out, Spogg! The problem is that the lower the (vibrato) frequency, the longer the necessary delay line to achieve a given vibrato depth. For zero frequency the delay would be infinite, which is not feasible. So yes, the knob range should not go down to zero frequency.

Actually the vibrato range is not strictly symmetrical in terms of semitones (it is in terms of Hz), but the effect is not very strong for moderate vibrato ranges.
martinvicanek

Postby trogluddite » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:48 pm

Thanks, Martin! The quadrature osc for the LFO works really nicely - a little hint of Leslie Cab for so little CPU. I also rather enjoyed "reverse-engineering" the stereo optimisation in the delay ASM - the shuffled current/previous sample storage is a very neat technique that I must try to remember!
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Return to User Examples