Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

The Quilcom SIM-F: On the fiddle

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

The Quilcom SIM-F: On the fiddle

Postby Spogg » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:29 am

Hello fellow FlowStone addicts!

This one is intended to simulate a fiddle/violin (same thing). Like all my SIM projects my aim was to use synthesis techniques and no samples.

I made the basic waveforms and wave tables using my Quilcom Wavemaker 4 but the tricky part was processing them to get something like a decent sound for what is a sonically very complex instrument.

Here’s my YouTube video:

https://youtu.be/9U1r9Ca-0e4

The download includes the FS 3.06 schematic, User Guide, plugins and background infos:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9tblz164n0msf ... 4.zip?dl=0

Why not fiddle about with it…
Spogg

Re: The Quilcom SIM-F: On the fiddle

Postby newdsp » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:16 pm

Very nice. Thank you. Turns out that the original SIM-F v1.004 crashes when I try to open it with FS 309b2. So, here is a version saved with v3.0.9b2-3319-gd51130b that should open without problems. Also, I have to modify the widener because it's not doing any stereo widening. I will probably post a version with modified effects soon.
Attachments
Quilcom SIM-F v1.005 .fsm
(2.13 MiB) Downloaded 789 times
newdsp

Postby newdsp » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:33 pm

Here is another version that has the effects replaced but it's causing lots of clicks and pops. I don't know why. Works with FS 309b2-3319. I only removed and replaced the effects. Theoretically it should not cause any clicks and pops but it does. The panning on the first delay doesn't initialize properly if it's exported with the first delay enabled. You have to click enable/disable/enable on the delay for the auto-pan to activate properly. The auto pan also fails on tempo changes so the first delay module needs to be turned off and on again to reactivate it.
Attachments
Bpm Echo 11.fsm
(311.46 KiB) Downloaded 796 times
Quilcom SIM-F v1.006 .fsm
(2.3 MiB) Downloaded 794 times
Last edited by newdsp on Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newdsp

Postby martinvicanek » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:00 pm

Woderful video, Spogg! Beautiful pictures, inspiring explanations, and lovely music!

@newdsp: You are probably the only one using the (incompatible) 3.0.9 beta. You keep ignoring good advice to switch to a stable relese. Don't expect much help then.
martinvicanek

Postby tulamide » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:31 pm

martinvicanek wrote:@newdsp: You are probably the only one using the (incompatible) 3.0.9 beta. You keep ignoring good advice to switch to a stable relese. Don't expect much help then.

I think (hope) he's referring to the alpha version of FS 4 (which is sadly labelled "v3.0.9b2-*some alpha versioning*"), but that doesn't change the result. The community long had an agreement to keep this forum for 3.0.6 and only use the slack group for anything related to the alpha.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby HughBanton » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:40 pm

Another good'n, Spogg. What on earth will you do when you run out of instruments? :lol:

Speaking of .. back in December, when yay girded yay sporren and gave us yay splendid Bagpipes, I said that "no other instrument shares bagpipes' unique feature of either 'Loud, or Off' ", meaning that once you start you can't stop - if the wind's going you just have to keep on playing until you've finished! Or fall over.

Well, that's not quite true - there's also the 'Hurdy Gurdy'. Which just happens to be the absolutely natural successor to your latest fiddlin' project, since a Hurdy Gurdy is essentially a mechanical polyphonic violin.

We can't wait! Hurdy gurdy, man.

H
HughBanton

Postby kortezzzz » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:03 pm

Great sounding violin machine :) Bowed string instruments are so hard to emulate and you nicely nailed every nuance + awesome controls. Bottom line, another hit to the hall of fame.

I have just one comment. When I've opened it with the alfa version, I noticed that a little trigger storm whirls around, even in idle. Dived in and found some extra "tick 100" and "tick25" primitives seeded in some of the modules, in addition to the one that sends a general wireless ticks at the top stage. After removing those extra tickers and using a wireless tick receivers instead, the trigger amount dramatically decreased by half... I dunno if it has been done by a mistake or it has a particular reason :?:

And talking about triggers, I've always wondered how FS translates these tickers after the export. Is every single seeded ticker really creates more and more extra triggers outside of FS, or perhaps FS just ignores the doubles and translates all those tickers as they've been one?
kortezzzz

Postby Spogg » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:02 am

Hey thanks guys! :D

@newdsp: I need to know if you have a problem with my projects in 3.06 but not in that buggy version you seem to love using. But thanks for your nice comment.

@Hugh: Actually a guy on Facebook suggested I made a Zanfona which is actually a type of Hurdy Gurdy (there are so many variations and no standard configuration, unlike a violin).
So I’m already stuck firmly down that rabbit hole and will hopefully emerge with a new toy at some point. Great fun (for me)!

@kortezzzz: Thank you for your nice comments. For some reason I didn’t look at the triggers in the alpha and I should have. I tend to re-use many modules just for convenience so I need to update them to use the wireless trigger. It would seem that, from what you found, using a single wireless trigger is of benefit and I wasn’t sure it was helpful before (I just thought it might be).

Cheers!
Spogg

Return to User Examples