Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Highest note priority by Hugh Banton

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Highest note priority by Hugh Banton

Postby MrFuls » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:12 pm

Don't know what I expected to find inside that green-in-green-out divider module :lol:

The (adorably) primitive solid state stuff that started to creep in those mid-60's tonewheel organs made them distinct from the likes of the 3-series. A decade later and you got particle board, and cha-cha rhythms :P

Those pedal dividers seemed to get glitchy every now and then; they'd get somewhat raspy and hoarse, sometimes just quit entirely. Never really figured out why..
MrFuls

Postby HughBanton » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:15 pm

MrFuls wrote:The (adorably) primitive solid state stuff that started to creep in those mid-60's tonewheel organs made them distinct from the likes of the 3-series. A decade later and you got particle board, and cha-cha rhythms :P

Those pedal dividers seemed to get glitchy every now and then; they'd get somewhat raspy and hoarse, sometimes just quit entirely. Never really figured out why..

Putting my 'electronic engineer hat' back on one more time, and I think I've got a handle on the Hammond pedal circuit now. So just once more, then we can all return to our proper 21c subject matter ... (Spogg & I lurv this old stuff ;-) )

Hammond tone-wheels feature EM coils, so have a really low output impedance - maybe 10 ohms or so? Therefore, when switched by the pedal contacts into the resistor chain they a) insert an 'un-squashable' 8' tone to the output, but b) they also effectively short-circuit whatever is coming down the chain (from higher notes), which has a much higher impedance by virtue of the string of series resistors - in the order of several hundered ohms. Pretty neat Mr Hammond.

Therefore - and this is probably unique to the Hammond system, what you will get at the bottom of the chain is 99% the lowest note and not much else, which is what MrFuls said in the first place - sorry!

If you've looked at the Hammond schematic I linked you'll notice the resistance across the drawbar pots is only 0.5ohms. Ouch!! These organs really were (are) electronically unique. I happen to know that their ground busses had to be welded, not soldered. No surprise.

I still have a yearning to build a hi-fi tube :idea: amplifier for my record turntable. And a crystal set. Sigh ....

H
HughBanton

Postby pwesynthmaker » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:36 pm

I have just started getting into MIDI for my Guitars ... I wanna check out some coding on the note priority to see if I can tighten it up a bit so I don't get so much twiddledee and dum on the pitch bend and fret slides. about a year and now have some fairly decent stuff ... Ketron SD2 and a couple other sound engines all 'midi-thrued' so with my Fishman TriplePlay and i2M musicport I can not only get a hexaphonic/mono midi in... yet also through 3 synth sound engines at once. After that, my guitar (electric) also goes into my notebook pc to my FlowStone stuff, so alone I can sound like, a 'B3 on 440VAC. I broke down and bought a new Marshall Amp for my stuff too.
Anyway ... the i2M is mono and playing everything together I might be able to tighten up the velo's so I can psuedo-isolate the FIshman Hex from the Sonnus i2M Mono Midi pickupwize ...

I wanna build some tubies so much! ... Wayyy back when I took a fender bandmaster and twisted it into a bender fatmaster ... wired a blast switch through the tremmy/verb switches cable. Dropped the cathode voltz and fiddled the grids and plates so I could outblast even a 100w orange crate!

I got some generic schems' on my website. They're built with 'simulation run' Designsoft Electronics Lab Software and I tried to stay as close to the values as possible for tubes, resistors, caps and xformers. I built the ony one-of-a-kind-in-the-world (TIKO) tube SPICE mods that have all of the pins connected ... not just cathode, grid and anode, all of 'em ... heaters, cathode, grid, screen grid and plate. Of course, the fillies' are fake but the transformers puts out the 5v, 6.3v and 12.6v along with the HV sim's.

I've never taken the time to use the schems' to actually build an amp with one yet ... but the way they are drawn it makes it really simple to see what might be easiest to 'bend' to get a tweedy that sings!
Having the schem show all the wiring including the heaters makes it really clear. Even on the browser it's large and oriented for easy to understand.
I have built a number of stomp 'goodyboxes' (solid state germanium good 'ole JH stuff, etc.) and it is so much easier to have it right in front of you on a computer to experiment. Easy to just grab a jpg off the screen, pop it in paint and say ... change a 220 Ohm to 100 Ohm and then play with the actual hardware while building. You know, like strap another '220 on and so forth. Play with xformer voltz, whatever. Most of the stuff is EL34, 6L6 local DIY electro-shack get it by mail build it. Anywho, it sparks the dreamer and ... hope your 'vinyl is never final. Cheers to 33-1/3!

Link to my 'site is on the bottom of page (see below) and ya just have to go to the table of contents and check out the electric stuff page (DIYAUDiOEFX Listing). Tube amps near bottom of page.
Uh, yeah ... all these 3D models are also my own hand drawn and scripted VRML2's and fit on pc board with Euler placement tolerance of +- .1mil (1/10000th inch) accuracy ... and I Gerber check my pc boards with Viewmate Deluxe LIcensed Software so I am certain I can send the Gerby' files anywhere and get immediate 'fast small quantity mamufacture.' They are also designed so easy to get e-shack parts will fit without breaking pins or holes to small or out of reach for the part. No tube 3D's right now as, I don't really trust HV hi-amp stuff on pc boards. Me and boss man had one boomin' business back when they first started pc boarding tube amps and the boards just fried like burnt spaghetti! Nowadays the stuff is s'posed to be able to handle it, but ... HUMMM! Best 'rabbitear' your tube wires anyway.
No ads, no popups, not even meta-tags in the web pages (I write every stitch of every one of them 'by hand in html5).
No animations on any of the pages ... pop! and they load into the browser. Media players for my music and videos are a bit slower ... but as said ... I built 'em myself and they are simple safe microsoft windows media plugin type that won't jump at you.

P.S. The front webpage is just pretty much blank for visitor signin, then it just goes to the table of contents, no redirects. It's a quite expensive SSL Yahoo! Small Business Website I bought so my domain is not a freebee. Everything on the site is free right now ... there is one SynthEdit buy-if-you-want or just go to the download-anyway page. I went through the exhausitve PayPal Sandbox Authorization System ... so these links on the pro page are not just some PPal dropons. All of them are SSL linked and registered with my PayPal Business Account.

The FlowStone Webpage is no sigin required it is SSL so quite safe ... everything at this forum is downloadable from it.

Back to the topic ... since the FIshman hex pickup plays 6 notes and is flexible ... but the i2M is mono and really not made for pitch bend I would really like to be able to code into my FlowStone Synthrtron (new version almost ready) some rock solid note prioritizing.
EXAMPLE: Play an Em7 and 'pull'-bend' on the 7th (D4) with ring finger while still playing the Chord and have the i2M go up one semi-tone without interfering with the FIshman playing the Chord and the 7th as a pitch bend?
That, I believe would be in the ballpark of a MIDI Guitar Highest Note Priority Thingy sorta ... if you get my drift ... or 'bend' (pun definitely intended).
The pitch extractor input for the Synthatron was designed by some Einsteinium MadScience/MusicMaster (not I) and is an unbelievable amazing complex combination of mods and prims. I am getting some idea of how to tweak the midi response of it though.
https://www.invntefx.com/ssl/_invntefxf ... fstone.htm
Inventor eFX Technology FlowStone WebPage

https://www.invntefx.com/
Inventor eFX Technology
LOGIN
Username: viewer
Password: A#1viewer
pwesynthmaker

Postby deraudrl » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:11 am

HughBanton wrote:If you've looked at the Hammond schematic I linked you'll notice the resistance across the drawbar pots is only 0.5ohms. Ouch!! These organs really were (are) electronically unique. I happen to know that their ground busses had to be welded, not soldered. No surprise.

And then sold them to mere mortals to keep in their homes...

My folks got one in 1957 or so, kept it until (1) it was obvious I was never going to get any good at playing it and (2) the Air Force refused to pay to move it yet again. Your description makes me wonder how I survived my childhood. :shock:
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Postby HughBanton » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:46 pm

Here's an elaboration of the original that Spogg posted. Nothing I haven't shown before at various times, but this one presents several MIDI processes together, all using the same MIDI hash front end.

Auto Bass behaves differently to Lowest-Note, rather more usable imho. I'll explain further if it isn't clear!

H
Highest note priority & other stuff .fsm
(210.03 KiB) Downloaded 884 times
HughBanton

Postby RJHollins » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:09 pm

Very nice Hugh ! 8-)
RJHollins

Previous

Return to User Examples