Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Vostok - An analogue polyphonic synthesizer

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Vostok - An analogue polyphonic synthesizer

Postby Spogg » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:38 am

I think more presets and with names, even meaningless names, would be a great step forward. And, as you say, a few slots with INIT presets would be useful.
I usually find sound design a bit of a chore, but I know that many users will judge a synth by the number of presets, even if many of the sounds are pretty similar. My own approach is to think of presets as starting points where a user has a head start towards tweaking to get what they want. It would be interesting to hear from others on that point.

I’m not sure if you realise it, so I’ll say the Lock feature is for the whole preset manager and applies to all presets, not individual ones.

When you’ve decided it’s finished I’d like to put it on the Flowstoners website, if you agree. If not that’s fine.

Have fun!
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:19 am

Spogg wrote:It would be interesting to hear from others on that point.

There are two groups of synth users.
1) The sound designers. They love tweaking. Present them with an oscillator and two knobs, and they'll create amazing sounds!
2) The producers. They can make a beat in a minute that's professional and high level. But they see it as a waste of time to create a sound. They scroll through a library of presets (the more the better), and whatever comes close is taken. A few refinements here and there, especially filters and eq, and that's it.

Of course, there are also people in between, but the main groups are those two. I myself turned into number 1, but definitely started as number 2. In the old days, I used to select a preset on my Alpha Juno II and then build a song around the sound (!!!), and similar later with my multi-timbral Roland JV-90. In fact, when you listen to synth-based songs of the 80s and 90s, you'll find the very same presets of very specific synths over and over again. The Korg M1 piano is such an example (everybody knows what I mean, although the M1 had half a dozen of piano presets), and don't let me start on the DX7 or D-50.

I never was comfortable with a two line, 32-digit LCD. My buddy could actually program that way, but I was always afraid I'd destroy the hardware :lol:

But nowadays, with sound design made as user-friendly as in Vital, I love to explore new sounds.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:12 am

Very interesting tulamide.

My main target would therefore be group 1; the sound designers.
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:01 pm

Spogg wrote:Very interesting tulamide.

My main target would therefore be group 1; the sound designers.

Yes. But that is something I generally don't like from instument developers: excluding a large portion of musicians. Simple example: I said I love sound design nowadays. That's true, but as a session in itself. When I'm making music I need to nail my musical idea. I don't have time then to first create a sound. At the time I'm ready, I lost all of the idea, the groove, the mood. A synth that doesn't at least provide bread and butter sounds, is of no use for me.

I think, instead of creating a plugin and hoping that a small elite group of sound designers will find it useful, it would be much better to find one of those sound designers and make him/her work for you. You can then offer plugins that please both groups.

Imagine you'd buy a vacuum cleaner, but every time you want to vacuum, you first have to install the power supply and add a new dust bag. That's what you do to musicians, when offering plugins without some useful presets.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Halon » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:47 pm

Spogg wrote:I think more presets and with names, even meaningless names, would be a great step forward. And, as you say, a few slots with INIT presets would be useful.
I usually find sound design a bit of a chore, but I know that many users will judge a synth by the number of presets, even if many of the sounds are pretty similar. My own approach is to think of presets as starting points where a user has a head start towards tweaking to get what they want. It would be interesting to hear from others on that point.

I’m not sure if you realise it, so I’ll say the Lock feature is for the whole preset manager and applies to all presets, not individual ones.

When you’ve decided it’s finished I’d like to put it on the Flowstoners website, if you agree. If not that’s fine.

Have fun!

Yes, absolutely. I don't know why i neglected the presets in the first place. I was rushing to finish it i suppose, but then i had several new ideas in mind that i wanted to add. I will let you know when its finished.

Cheers. :)
Halon

Postby Halon » Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:03 am

Alright. I've spent some time and did a few changes/added a couple of new features. One is being able to change the background color if you so wish. I've also made a few more presets, this time with names :oops: This will be the final version. @spogg you can add it to Flowstoners if you like.

A big thanks to spogg for his help. I really appreciate it! ;)

Cheers.
Halon

Postby Duckett » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:43 am

I've been messing around with the earlier versions, but did have the feeling it wasn't done done, so haven't gone too far the "Demo track" road yet; now the green light's lit, I'll have to see if I can do a nice "one-synth-challenge" demo :)

PS I've been working on a frequency-shifter effect- I've been having some issues with a clean working reinstall of 3.06 (and have therefore been using the alpha)... I'm going to respect the "3.06 only" rule for posting schematics, but if you or others want to play tester and tell me the good and the bad (I know it'll be ugly), let me know ;)
We have to train ourselves so that we can improvise on anything... a bird, a sock, a fuming beaker! This, too, can be music. Anything can be music. -Biff Debris
Duckett

Postby Halon » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:59 pm

Duckett wrote:I've been messing around with the earlier versions, but did have the feeling it wasn't done done, so haven't gone too far the "Demo track" road yet; now the green light's lit, I'll have to see if I can do a nice "one-synth-challenge" demo :)

PS I've been working on a frequency-shifter effect- I've been having some issues with a clean working reinstall of 3.06 (and have therefore been using the alpha)... I'm going to respect the "3.06 only" rule for posting schematics, but if you or others want to play tester and tell me the good and the bad (I know it'll be ugly), let me know ;)

I would love to hear the result of that 'one-synth-challange' :) I would love to test you frequency shifter :mrgreen:

Cheers.
Halon

Postby Duckett » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:03 am

Check your PM :D However, the "Vostok challenge" will take a bit longer ;)
We have to train ourselves so that we can improvise on anything... a bird, a sock, a fuming beaker! This, too, can be music. Anything can be music. -Biff Debris
Duckett

Postby Halon » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:57 pm

Halon

Previous

Return to User Examples