Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

The Quilcom 7SAW synthesiser

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: The Quilcom 7SAW synthesiser

Postby Spogg » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:02 am

martinvicanek wrote:The rand() function is mentioned on page 242 of the User Guide. Apparently it may be used to initialize an array with random values.

Damn! :oops:

I was looking under the Expressions heading for the function but it's dedicated to filling arrays.

As always, thank you so much Martin :ugeek:

Spogg
Spogg

Postby TrendSetter » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:27 am

Amazing thread! Great work, Spogg!

Fascinating. I just read Adam's thesis, and replicated a lot of it, before noticing this thread.

The Quilcom 7SAW can definitely handle the supersaw sound better than many others.
One thing to note is that often super saws are used in conjunction with multiband overcompression for a clicky transient and mid-scoop. You can get most of the way there in SM with a compressor and a hi/lo shelf. If only it could be as cpu efficient as ReaXComp.

The JP6K has been widely used and respected (in my experience). It's also very convenient when it comes to layering lower harmonics, and runs very smoothly. Interestingly, it sounds distinctly like there's a noise oscillator running in it.
Compared to the stock SM filters, Adam did a great job of making an extremely useable self-oscillating resonance, while I do agree that the filter is distinctly SynthMakeresque-sounding.
In the intriguing comparison that Sadowick did between the JP6K and the JP8080, he demonstrates that there is an important transient in the JP8080 (which he suggests is due to aliasing) that is missing in the JP6K. Do you know how that could be integrated?

Would somebody please explain how to set up the 11th order function for gradual detuning? I've just been using basic squares and cubes :D

Where is the aliasing saw module from? The oscillators in SynthMaker seem to be uneditable. It's odd to see the saws being brickwalled at lower octaves.

I love what you did, Spogg with all the knobs which are also switches. I do that, myself.
I set the glide to also make the synth monophonic because with the Midi to Poly configurations I've tried, the only way to have a functional portamento is if one voice is playing.

I enjoy the ways of sending arrays into the midi to get the flanging unison of several midi notes played at once through one oscillator. You can even detune them and stereo spread them - but the same glide problem remains.

What's funny is, you can press a note and turn the glide knob (also switching the voices) and then it activates the portamento polyphonically until you release all notes!
I tried all kinds of hacks to send pulses into the switch and the result is as you'd expect - a glitchy experience that occasionally has the desired effect. 8-)
TrendSetter

Postby Spogg » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:11 pm

Hey thanks for all that feedback :D

It would be nice if Adam could help answer but here's a few comments from me:

Compression: I see that as being an external processor but of course you'd need to disable all my simple onboard effects and use others as needed.

Noise component: this is present and a result of higher frequency enharmics generated due to aliasing (as per Adam).

Transient in original: I don't have the hardware or even any samples. I heard a few demos that's all. If I could hear or understand what's happening in the original it should be possible to reproduce.

11th order function: This needs Adam to answer for sure. I simply did something that gave similar results but dead easy to implement.

The aliasing saw module: Not mine! Any "naive" saw will produce aliasing. This one has a phase control which is why I chose it. I found it somewhere.

Brickwalling: This is the genious stroke from Roland/Adam. With a steep slope HPF (tracking the fundamental) the lower frequencies produced by aliasing are considerably reduced. Those are the nasty ones!

Portamanto: If you set the voice numbers to 2, then play 2-note chords legato, (using sustain) both will glide.

I do hope Adam can join in this; he's the expert here. I just made the 7SAW to explore the technique,as I do with all my synths. None of them are designed to "do everything".

Thanks again :D

Spogg
Spogg

Previous

Return to User Examples