Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

The Quilcom SIM-CARNYX: Intimidate your enemies!

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

The Quilcom SIM-CARNYX: Intimidate your enemies!

Postby Spogg » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:24 am

Someone suggested I have a go at making a Carnyx simulator, so after finding out what one actually is, and its history etc, that’s what I did.

It’s an ancient Iron Age Celtic war horn used to intimidate the enemy in pitched battles, and it’s not very “musical”. It is, however, fascinating… to me anyway. There’s lots of info in the Background info folder and User Guide if you would like to know more.

The download includes all the usual stuff:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1o8ypues0c3f ... 2.zip?dl=0

My YouTube video is here:

https://youtu.be/PzeHHxoDqAE

Now play it loud with the windows open and really piss your neighbours off!
Spogg

Re: The Quilcom SIM-CARNYX: Intimidate your enemies!

Postby DigiTonix » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:53 pm

Thanx so much Rex!!! Amazing strange sound!
That sounds like Didgeridoo with metallic colors... I have not heard of such a musical instrument before! :mrgreen:
Creative Technology for Bold Player's!
DigiTonix

Postby BobF » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:01 pm

Hi Rex,
And you said I made weird things, ha, ha. No its really very cool sounding , a really great job. Take care, BobF.....
BobF

Postby tulamide » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:40 pm

I wouldn't know how to make use of it. But I knew the Carnyx (also known as "war trumpet") from my obsession with the roman empire. Most of them ended in the shape of a wild boar head. After the romans took over gaul, they also had other shapes like snake heads and even fantasy animals.
They didn't use it to make music, that's for sure. A very good description is from greek historian Diodorus Siculus, a contemporary witness:
"Ihre Trompeten waren wieder von einer eigentümlich barbarischen Art, sie blasen hinein und lassen einen rauen Laut ertönen, der an die Wirren des Krieges erinnert"
"Their trumpets were again of a peculiarly barbaric kind, they blow in and let out a harsh sound that is reminiscent of the turmoil of war"

Obviously it was more about irritating metallic noises, than actual trumpet tones. And this acoustic warfare worked! Their opponents were indeed frightened.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:53 pm

Thanks guys! :D

Someone suggested it could be used as a sound effect in certain types of video games. It certainly won’t play nice melodies :lol:
Spogg

Postby DigiTonix » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:40 pm

Thanks for the explanations, guys ... It's strange, but the sound on the contrary causes pleasant goosebumps for me, as when listening to heavy music with an overloaded guitar .... I don’t know why. :D

I wonder if this sound is supposed to sow panic and terrify
then I think there were such instruments that had healing properties, I read about this when I was engaged in figuring out what frequencies and how they affect consciousness and perception.

Perhaps this topic is no longer relevant, since modern people live differently than their ancestors, but for example, the theme with a frequency of 432 hertz remains relevant now, many musicians tune their DAW to 432 in order to get a warmer and more calm sound, it really works sometimes ... :ugeek:
DigiTonix

Postby Spogg » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:41 am

DigiTonix wrote:... It's strange, but the sound on the contrary causes pleasant goosebumps for me ...

This is an interesting comment, and certainly one I didn’t expect! :o

However, I’ve watched all of John Kenny’s videos and on one he seems convinced the instrument would have been used in ceremonies and celebrations, and maybe religious contexts, as well as warfare. Your personal reaction adds weight to the idea. Sadly we’ll never know for sure.

Another consideration is the use of bagpipes. We know these have been used in a similar way, to intimidate the enemy in battles, but to this day they are also heard in ceremonies and celebrations.
Spogg

Postby DigiTonix » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:33 am

Spogg wrote:
Sadly we’ll never know for sure.
Another consideration is the use of bagpipes. We know these have been used in a similar way, to intimidate the enemy in battles, but to this day they are also heard in ceremonies and celebrations.

I also think it really can be so!
At least it's very plausible ...
Some people are afraid of heights, while others jump with a parachute to enjoy the fear (Perhaps on a physical level - these emotions are the same)
For other personal reasons - Fear and panic is just a strong release of hormones, if the release of hormones occurs when you are in a hostile mood, then you will remember this bad event,
If the release of fear hormones passes when you are in a positive mood, this allows you to remember the moment of your pleasure, on an instinctive level.
Seeing these tools including bagpipes, maybe it works that way too!

Of course, everything I said earlier - I meant only strong emotions, with a strong rush of adrenaline and dopamine ..
Because hormones like melatonine and so on are responsible for other functions.

These are just guesses, based on personal experience, nothing more :D ...
DigiTonix

Postby Spogg » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:35 am

Interesting thoughts.

I guess if you hear Carnyces and survive the battle, you’re not going to like hearing them again!

Very Pavlovian!

When I made the outro sounds for the video it occurred to me that if you took away the clash of swords you basically have something like the sound of a modern football match. You know, Vuvuzelas and all that.
Spogg

Postby DigiTonix » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:49 am

Spogg wrote:Interesting thoughts.
When I made the outro sounds for the video it occurred to me that if you took away the clash of swords you basically have something like the sound of a modern football match. You know, Vuvuzelas and all that.

Yes, it looks like these football things!
I didn't think about it, maybe they are there to evoke the spirit of rivalry) :lol:
DigiTonix

Next

Return to User Examples