Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

MIDI Sustain bug workaround

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

MIDI Sustain bug workaround

Postby Eusonik » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:11 pm

This is my 3rd post. The 2 others have been deleted for no reason. Way to welcome a new member.
If this one is to be deleted, please send me a PM and tell me why you delete my posts.

So... I wished to share my schematic of the workaround I've made to counter the midi sustain bug in 3.0.8.1
(For users who wish not to use the betas.)

EDIT: Version 2 without useless module
MIDI Sustain 3.0.8.1 bug workaround v2.fsm
(2.06 KiB) Downloaded 657 times
Last edited by Eusonik on Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eusonik

Re: MIDI Sustain bug workaround

Postby Spogg » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:20 pm

Eusonik wrote:This is my 3rd post. The 2 others have been deleted for no reason. Way to welcome a new member.
If this one is to be deleted, please send me a PM and tell me why you delete my posts.

Hi Eusonik

I just checked the moderator logs and your first post was in Off Topic. This is a heavily spammed forum section so we agreed ages ago to keep it clear. Every day I delete many posts, none of which I read; today 14 whole pages of spam. But you weren’t to know this of course, so I apologise.

I also seem to have deleted your second post which was in General and I don’t know why I did that. :oops:
Probably because I’m getting old and stupid.

So this is the second apology from me to you. Not a good welcome as you say!

Now to your post…

What is the sustain bug you refer to? Flowstone’s midi handling prims cover Running Status (note on = zero means note off) but for some on-screen keyboards and self-made midi processing we need to deal with it for e.g. M-Audio keyboards. Your first module is designed to handle that but I’m not clear why the other two are needed.

Cheers (and welcome!)

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Eusonik » Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:41 pm

My 1st post was in General. I had posted this workaround thinking General was better suited than User Examples because it's more related to the recommandation to not use the betas, and is not really an example of a useful function (GUI, DSP) or completed product. My 2nd post was in off topic, but it doesn't matter. Thank you for the explanation.

The 3rd module in my schematic is meant to workaround the following bug: Flowstone's MIDI to Voices module has an option "Only play one instance of a note at any one time during MIDI Sustain". But 3.0.8.1 does not respect that option by itself.

Oups, the 2nd module is useless :lol: I've removed it (v2).
I don't remember why I made it initially. Has FlowStone/Synthmaker always handled MIDI sustain, or was it ever necessary to code it manually ?
Eusonik

Postby Spogg » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:17 pm

Yes your first post was in General, as you say. I got the order from the moderator logs the wrong way round. :oops: :oops:

I just tested the “one instance of a note during midi sustain” on 3.06 and it appears to work fine. Generally we recommend using 3.06 which I’ve been doing for some years now. There were some issues with later releases so unless you need to make use of the extended ASM features I suggest you take 3.06 up. Anything you’ve made in 3.08.1 should load and work ok.

I’ve never had a problem with MIDI sustain using my old M-Audio Keystation and my newer Novation Impulse 61. FS holds the notes and ignores Note-OFFs until the sustain CC64 goes to release. I can’t speak for older versions and SynthMaker, but I’d be surprised if sustain wasn’t properly supported at any time.
Spogg

Return to User Examples