Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

The Quilcom SIM-RHYTHMICON: It's not a drum machine.

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

The Quilcom SIM-RHYTHMICON: It's not a drum machine.

Postby Spogg » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:22 am

Hello!

I indulged my fascination for this relic of electronic music history and wanted to have a go on one. So naturally I had to make my own virtual one.
Unfortunately only 3 were ever made. The first one was scrapped and the second one resides in the Smithsonian and doesn’t’ work. The first 2 were finished instruments in a nice cabinet .The third one was a lash-up that Theremin made for his own entertainment and can be seen working in a few YouTube videos.

The Rhythmicon is often referred to as the very first drum machine, but in my view that’s misleading. It created polyrhythms with each measure division having its own harmonically related pitched pulse (like a grain in modern terms I guess). Its sound was nothing like a drum kit!

I’ve seen many links to an online version you could actually play, but it’s been taken down due its reliance on Java for the web browser. So this seems to be the only way you can get to play one. Lucky you eh? :lol:

If you have any interest in this I’ve added my own research notes to the User Guide. I would say this is more of an interesting toy than a useful producer’s tool!

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t0t5t5ryi4756 ... 0.zip?dl=0

Video:
https://youtu.be/UA6Pe2Xl99A
Spogg

Re: The Quilcom SIM-RHYTHMICON: It's not a drum machine.

Postby R&R » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:07 pm

That is one strange choice of plugin to make. But nice one 8-)

Ordered chaos. Electro-mechnical systems are cool and art in themselves... like steampunk.

Not really my niche in plugs :lol: But curious as always, did you put in deviation of tolerances in the mechanical part? Like holes being slightly different or uneven spin of the wheel for example?
But differences might not even be perceived in the originals output? Like a perfect clockwork...

It's not a drum machine.

But I could hear the marching band snare when you turned to noise! :P :lol:

- You know I could make furious technomusic using this too, right? ;)
R&R

Postby Spogg » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:18 pm

Thanks! :D

I know it’s a weird one but I enjoyed doing it and had some fun playing it, which is what motivates me. If only one other person has some fun too, that’s a bonus!

I listened carefully to the rhythm wheel on YouTube demos and I picked up some slight inconsistencies in some of the rhythms that got played. Also I zoomed in on the wheel photographs and you can see that Theremin probably used a hand-held Black and Decker to drill the holes! ;)
Since the errors were tiny I thought I’d keep it strictly in time. Another thing is that the one you can hear on the demos was Theremin’s lash-up he made in 1960 for his own entertainment. He used smaller wheels than on the “proper” instruments and the rhythm wheel was driven by an electric gramophone motor. So we don’t actually know how well made the originals were or exactly how they sounded.

I must mention that I already came across the term “Steampunk” on my travels down this particular rabbit hole. :lol:
Spogg

Postby deraudrl » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:24 pm

The start of your video reminded me a bit of the HGS Phase Shifter plugin:
https://hgsounds.com/product/phase-shifter-vsti-2/
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Return to User Examples