Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Musical Ring Modulator

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Musical Ring Modulator

Postby rocknrollkat » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi Gang,
A few days ago I posted my Dead Simple Ring Modulator Demonstrator.
Okay, you get sum and difference frequencies with totally suppressed fundamentals, now what ?
In the old days we built ring modulators with diodes and C.T. transformers, and they sounded like fuzztones on steroids.
I never liked fuzztones, and I was disappointed in the results, due to the .7 volt turn-on threshold of silicon diodes creating that unwanted fuzz effect.
But now we don't have that problem, and a whole new world of possibilities presents itself.
Here's my demonstator that allows you to switch between a classic ring modulator (direct setting) and the add-multiply setting.
What's that, you ask ?
Let's say that before you ring modulate that two frequencies, you add them together, consider that the 'B' oscillator and now ring modulate 'A' and 'B' signals.
Okay, now switch to 'multiply' and you have a new 'B' signal to ring modulate with the 'A' signal.
And of course, the whole shebang is Dead Simple !
Enjoy these new crystal clear "musical" tones and build 'em into your next synth !

ROXY :D
Attachments
ROXY's Ring Modulator - Musical Demonstrator.fsm
Finally, a ring modulator that makes sense !
(293.74 KiB) Downloaded 1185 times
rocknrollkat

Return to User Examples