Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

D.C. corrected Oscillator pack

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

D.C. corrected Oscillator pack

Postby rocknrollkat » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:32 pm

Hi Gang,
I was going to release this tomorrow, but I had a few minutes this Christmas morning to offer you this little gift.
It's Martin's excellent oscillator pack with a second output, which is my 'Mystery Bias pack' output.
All of the wave types are now biased to D.C. instead of -1 to +1.
The reason will become obvious when you watch the scope and the meters in the demonstration hookup.
As you can see, at V.L.F.s, the meters display a bizarre output in the normal mode, sawtooth and ramp waves turn into triangle waves, the square wave becomes a solid +1 output, and so forth.
The outputs are useless if you're trying to voltage control an amp, filter, etc.
Most VCA, VCFs, etc. are looking for a D.C to +1 'volt' control signal, and my D.C. bias pack provides just that.
Now your VCAs will work correctly, etc.
If you're feeling ambitious, set up a VCA and control it with both outputs and see the difference !
I did not remove 'ROXY Square', which is pre-biased internally, it now cycles from +.5 to +1 instead of 0 to +1.
That will give you a hard tremolo effect instead of "on off".

Merry Christmas to all !

ROXY :D
Attachments
ROXY's D.C. to 1 corrected L.F.O..fsm
Martin's excellent Oscillator pack now has a D.C. baseline option !
(772.75 KiB) Downloaded 977 times
rocknrollkat

Re: D.C. corrected Oscillator pack

Postby adamszabo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:11 pm

Its a little more optimized like that. you need less variables. :geek:
Attachments
bias.jpg
bias.jpg (15.91 KiB) Viewed 21197 times
adamszabo

Postby rocknrollkat » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:44 pm

adamszabo wrote:Its a little more optimized like that. you need less variables. :geek:

Why do I need Fewer variables ?
rocknrollkat

Postby adamszabo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:10 pm

Because it reduces file size, and it reduces ram. Also if you want to write that in assembly it saves CPU, which means it uses less electricity so we can save more trees :D
adamszabo

Postby rocknrollkat » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:48 pm

adamszabo wrote:Because it reduces file size, and it reduces ram. Also if you want to write that in assembly it saves CPU, which means it uses less electricity so we can save more trees :D

Yeah, and it also reduces your OPTIONS.
By locking up your C.V.s to fixed values, you defeat the whole purpose of Synthesis.
If you're building a black box generator, fine, but otherwise, see my next schematic, ROXY's Corrected L.F.O.-2.

Also, bear in mind that depending on C.P.U. architecture, having separate values in separate registers may actually speed up performance by allowing two accumulators to access two different memory locations simultaneously.
Always supply file size, C.P.U. performance data and RAM allocation with your claims, otherwise it's just speculation.

ROXY
rocknrollkat

Postby adamszabo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:49 pm

But arent we programming here? We are not building electronic circuits with voltages this is all digital: 1 and 0. So this is programming, and in programming you usually find a solution to a problem then you optimize it as much as possible. Your goal was to make a bipolar signal into unipolar. That was the goal, and I just helped to optimize it. In assembly the code would look like this:

Code: Select all
float F1 = 1.0;
float F0P5 = 0.5;

movaps xmm0, in;
movaps xmm1, F1; //we move the value 1 into the xmm1 register
movaps xmm2, F0P5; //we move the value 0.5 into the xmm2 register
addps xmm0, xmm1; //we add 1 to the input
mulps xmm0, xmm2; //we multiply it by 0.5
movaps out, xmm0;

But if we remove the '1' variable and we achieve the same thing with jut 0.5 you get less lines of code and you can save the xmm2 memory address from being occupied

Code: Select all
float F0P5 = 0.5;

movaps xmm0, in;
movaps xmm1,F0P5; //we move the value 0.5 into the xmm1 register
mulps xmm0, xmm1; //we multiply it by 0.5
addps xmm0, xmm1; //we add 0.5 to it
movaps out, xmm0;

This is a very crucial way to optimize and save cpu.
adamszabo

Postby rocknrollkat » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:41 pm

[quote="adamszabo"]But arent we programming here?
No, YOU are programming here, or so you say.
I'm creating working modules that can be lashed together into working synthesizers.
I searched your posts, lots of talk, no schematics.
I've already pointed out that minimizing variables can create more problems than it solves.
I posted a schematic demonstrating WHY I leave variables accessible.
And if saving a line of code makes that much difference, either your project is too big or your computer is too slow.
I'll sacrifice one line of code to have more musical flexibility.
That's what the code is there for, to create projects that work, NOT how compact we can make a block of code.

ROXY
rocknrollkat

Postby adamszabo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:04 pm

Man, you are just being childish now. I cant believe I actually took time to find my old posts because you dont know how to use the search function. Here are some of my posts where I helped others:

viewtopic.php?t=3899&p=21651#p21651
viewtopic.php?t=8656&p=34521#p34521
viewtopic.php?t=3842&p=21155#p21155
viewtopic.php?t=4380&p=24764#p24764
viewtopic.php?t=2563&p=12694#p12694
viewtopic.php?t=6471&p=29530#p29530

and there is a lot more but I wont bother to post them. Then I also told you to search for JP6K and Phazor but you didnt, here let me help you:

http://www.adamszabo.com/jp6k/
http://www.adamszabo.com/phazor/

JP6K was created from my thesis which I wrote, you can read it if you want:

https://www.nada.kth.se/utbildning/gruk ... _10131.pdf

I am very sorry that you are stuck in your 60s, and you actually think that when you connect lines and do multiplications in FlowStone you think you are changing voltages and somehow transistors and resistors magically appear inside your computer. Spoiler: NO! You know that you are programming too right? Because anything you do in FlowStone will get converted to assembly because thats what the CPU reads.

I was legitimately trying to help and give advice but my other post hurt your feelings so much that it doesnt matter what I write you are trying to attack me now. I already apologized for the tone of my previous post, but you just cant let it go. You asked me to provide some evidence and proof of what I am saying otherwise its just 'speculation'. So I showed you the example in assembly. Its there in black and white, and you are still trying to get personal and say that I am 'programming or so I say'.

Its now clear to me that I am way better than this, and I wont let this get personal, so you are right, I should have known better. Ignore mode ON! Bye
adamszabo

Postby rocknrollkat » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:24 pm

adamszabo wrote:Man, you are just being childish now. I cant believe I actually took time to find my old posts because you dont know how to use the search function. Here are some of my posts where I helped others:

viewtopic.php?t=3899&p=21651#p21651
viewtopic.php?t=8656&p=34521#p34521
viewtopic.php?t=3842&p=21155#p21155
viewtopic.php?t=4380&p=24764#p24764
viewtopic.php?t=2563&p=12694#p12694
viewtopic.php?t=6471&p=29530#p29530

and there is a lot more but I wont bother to post them. Then I also told you to search for JP6K and Phazor but you didnt, here let me help you:

http://www.adamszabo.com/jp6k/
http://www.adamszabo.com/phazor/

JP6K was created from my thesis which I wrote, you can read it if you want:

https://www.nada.kth.se/utbildning/gruk ... _10131.pdf

I am very sorry that you are stuck in your 60s, and you actually think that when you connect lines and do multiplications in FlowStone you think you are changing voltages and somehow transistors and resistors magically appear inside your computer. Spoiler: NO! You know that you are programming too right? Because anything you do in FlowStone will get converted to assembly because thats what the CPU reads.

I was legitimately trying to help and give advice but my other post hurt your feelings so much that it doesnt matter what I write you are trying to attack me now. I already apologized for the tone my previous post, but you just cant let it go. You asked me to provide some evidence and proof of what I am saying otherwise its just 'speculation'. So I showed you the example in assembly. Its there in black and white, and you are still trying to get personal and say that I am 'programming or so I say'.

Its now clear to me that I am way better than this, and I wont let this get personal, so you are right, I should have known better. Ignore mode ON! Bye

You are just one bitter little man.
Passive aggressive behavior, 'legitimately trying to help', please.
I'm stuck in the 60s ?
Your abusive talk is totally uncalled for.
I read your 'thesis', or what passes for one.
Remember, you're the guy that can't get wave basics down pat.
And you went to college for this ?
Wow, 2 plugins !
A phaser and a super saw emulator, golly !

Feel free to ignore me, you're doing the world a favor.
The less I hear from you the better.

ROXY
rocknrollkat

Postby Spogg » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:21 am

Roxy, as a forum moderator I have to say right out that I think your reaction and comments are inappropriate.

Adam has been, and still is, a highly respected member of this community and has personally helped me out on several occasions. And I found his thesis very well done and useful for my own Quilcom version of the Roland Supersaw techniques and their method for dealing with aliasing.

I know you feel hurt by his comments but I believe we should rise above these emotions and show respect for those who may take a different view, especially where the subject of debate is contentious.

Nobody likes or approves of personal attacks, so please kindly take note.

Adam, I see that you tried to apologise for your “tone” in a different post and I think that was sufficient.
I believe that Roxy’s intentions are to offer help to complete newbies and he’s sharing his stuff with this in mind, and I’m sure there are some who will find this useful as a way into this complex software. When I came to SynthMaker, and then Flowstone, I arrived with a wealth of knowledge in electronics but none in visual programming, so Roxy’s analogies may well have helped me get going 3 years ago. A useful “bridge” maybe.

Let’s try to keep things sweet guys!

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Next

Return to User Examples