Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Waveshapers

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

Waveshapers

Postby Rocko » Wed May 09, 2018 2:04 pm

Playing around with Waveshapers and it raised a question.
Say I have an analogue 'black box' and I would like to design it's digital equivalent.
While I can easily measure its frequency response and static dynamic range response, is there a way to measure its 'waveshaping' ability?

Let's assume the black box is this (just a stupid example):
Yout = Xin * sin(Xin) , for Xin > 0.5
Yout = Xin , for Xin < 0.5

Is there a way I cam measure this and 'backwards' engineer a similar function?
Maybe if I choose as an input a full range (between -1.0 and 1.0) sawtooth so that I can see all possible sample values - and view it on a scope? Step response? Impulse? Other method?

It's a theoretical question, so let's assume I have all existing measurement gear...
Rocko

Re: Waveshapers

Postby Wassaka » Wed May 09, 2018 6:04 pm

Hi Rocko, I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I made an analog to digital waveform, check it out!
The reverse engeenering generates a waveform based on the analog input, all you have to do is use the wave generated and put it into a Waveshaper.

- Wassaka
Attachments
analog2digital_waveform.fsm
V1.0 by Wassaka
(126.9 KiB) Downloaded 1286 times
Wassaka

Postby Rocko » Wed May 09, 2018 7:52 pm

Hi,

Can you explain how to use it and what is it supposed to do?
Sorry, but I did not get you on this one
Rocko

Postby Wassaka » Wed May 09, 2018 9:40 pm

Rocko wrote:Hi,

Sorry, but I did not get you on this one

Basically what you do is give samples linearly (sawtooth) from -1 to 1. These samples enter your analog processor (for example a valve distorter) and the schematic receives the output values of the analog processor and analyzes them. The result is a waveform of -1 to 1 that is able to emulate your analog distorter by means of a waveshaper.
In short: it is a tool that allows analyzing an analog processor and emulate it digitally by means of waveshaping.
I don't know if it's exactly what you were looking for ...
Wassaka

Postby Wassaka » Wed May 09, 2018 9:46 pm

Rocko wrote:Hi,

Using it is very easy, you simply modify the parameters in the "CONTROL ZONE" and connect the output of the schematic to your analog processor. Then you connect the output of the analog processor to the input of the schematic again, and press the "START" button. You will see how the output waveform of your analog processor is analyzed. Finally, the waveform generated by the schematic can be used in a waveshaper to emulate your analog processor. In the schematic there is an example function "Tanh (x)" you will have to eliminate it, since it is only an example.
Wassaka

Postby Rocko » Wed May 09, 2018 11:38 pm

OK

Thanks for the explanation. Ill give it a few runs and get back with some inputs.

:-)
Rocko

Postby Rocko » Tue May 15, 2018 1:27 pm

Well, I test run this module on quite a few cases. Its interesting.
For measuring the signal of a simple analog circuit. like a single amplification stage, it is a great solution ! Many thanks !
:D :D :D

Things get more complicated when it is a more complex analog box, like, if it includes a DC block (High pass filter at say 10Hz) - then the measurements includes the response of the DC block filter.

Can you think of a way to measure a (say) band limited device? Assume a band is limited between 20 and 400 Hz (bass exciter) ?
Rocko

Postby Wassaka » Tue May 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Rocko wrote:Well, I test run this module on quite a few cases. Its interesting.
For measuring the signal of a simple analog circuit. like a single amplification stage, it is a great solution ! Many thanks !
:D :D :D

Things get more complicated when it is a more complex analog box, like, if it includes a DC block (High pass filter at say 10Hz) - then the measurements includes the response of the DC block filter.

Can you think of a way to measure a (say) band limited device? Assume a band is limited between 20 and 400 Hz (bass exciter) ?

To avoid that DC Blocker you must increase the frequency of the burst to 20 Hz (higher than 10Hz).
If we are talking about analogue equalization, this schematic is totally useless ... In that case, try an impulse response to see the spectrum generated by the analog processor.
The schematic that I build only works on analog saturators or something similar, it DON'T works in EQs, Compressors, Reverbs, Echoes etc...
Wassaka

Return to DSP