Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Dynamic Waveshapers

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

Dynamic Waveshapers

Postby Rocko » Tue May 15, 2018 1:34 pm

Just revealed the world of Waveshapers... Awesome ;-) Gee I have som much to learn ;-)

I'm thinking of designing a waveshaper that has some sort of dynamic response, like a compressor. In this case I could have controls over Attack/release.

Example:
Say I want to 'heavily waveshape/distort' a guitar 'strum' but not process its 'peak' just at the beggining of the strum. How can I achieve that?
With a compressor I could 'not process the peak' by dialing in a longer attack. But How can I build this chain with a waveshaper which has a constant function (example: tanh(x) )

What should be the signal flow (block diagram / components) to acheive that ?
Rocko

Re: Dynamic Waveshapers

Postby KG_is_back » Tue May 15, 2018 3:26 pm

You can have waveshaper where you multiply the input by some gain and divide the output with the same gain. The output is constant volume, but the change changes how hard you drive the waveshaper. You can then hookup that gain to some sort of waveshaper. Here's a crude quick example - it kind of does what you want, just needs a lot of tweaking.
Attachments
dynamic waveshaper.fsm
(172.62 KiB) Downloaded 1164 times
KG_is_back

Return to DSP