Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Granular?

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

Granular?

Postby AnteGhost » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:14 pm

Hi all my synth makers :lol:
So I was wondering if anybody knows how I could do some granular synthesis with SM or FS.
Also the ruby language, is there a tut or guide on how it works?
Also I know the common size of granular synthesis uses 2048 samples, but can I use more?
Will I have to build the sample loader and/or player?
Would I be able to store the sample in the vsti so that my daw opens it up with the sample or would it only be able to store the link to the file on my computer?
AnteGhost

Re: Granular?

Postby trogluddite » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:10 pm

Hello, welcome to the forum AnteGhost.

The SM forums are probably your best place to search for granular stuff at the moment - VST plugin features are pretty new to FlowStone, so there isn't so much of a library of nice goodies just yet. I'd try searching for pitch shifters and time stretchers too, as most of those over at SM use granular techniques.

Best place to start for Ruby is probably HERE - that' thread has all the links to free .pdf's etc. that we've collected, and most of them are aimed at beginners because most of us here are new to Ruby too.

You can do your samples either way - most kinds of data that you put inside a schematic get saved as the defaults inside VST exports - including waves, bitmaps etc. File linking is also possible, with the links stored inside VST presets too, if you like.
Again, the SM site is best at the moment for finding sample players etc. - there are some quite nice ones over there, and most will import and run inside FlowStone no problem.

Happy Synthmaking!
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Re: Granular?

Postby MegaHurtz » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:12 pm

You can learn a lot by reading about how pitch shifters work. They all work like a basic pitch shifter.
But it's kind of a dark art, mostly the people who are hevily involved say Autechre, Squarepusher, V Snares, Hellfish. Are'nt going to make it transparant how their systems are involved. Basicly because it dictates the way they sound. And that's worth kept close to the heart. Say it's a heremetic being clawed kind of deal. On the other hand, people like me never asked anyone how it it worked. We just started doing it, basicly because the ego is large enough to say we are going to do it like this. But it's rewarding in the end. (like not using steroids or something :D )
192k @ 8ms
MegaHurtz

Return to DSP