Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Guitar Amp and Cabinet modelling

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

Guitar Amp and Cabinet modelling

Postby acg2010 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:16 am

Originally posted on SynthMaker forum, reposting here. I was hoping someone would try it out and comment back. So far 18 people downloaded it but provided no comments. Saved back as fsm format for this forum.

After my guitar amp project had a poor showing in the KVRAudio DC2013, I started reading more material on guitar amps and cabinets. I realized real amps produce a significant amount of high frequency harmonics and by themselves are not very pleasant to listen too. A guitar cabinet has a reduced frequency range and thus helps cut out those high frequencies.

So I started trying to simulate a guitar cabinet in SynthMaker. My simple approach was to use a combination of filters that would mimic the frequency response curve of the cabinet/speaker combinations. After finding very good reference material, it appeared others were using simple combinations of low and high pass filters. On one blog a person was experimenting with using a combination of low/high self and a notch filter so I thought I would start with that.

This is the result of that work. I included a frequency readout so you could adjust the response to your own taste. I also added a section that acts like the microphone adjustment that other cabinet sims have. However, my version only pans and adjusts the volume level using the X-Y pad created by oddson, Angular Momentum, and infusion, and a simple mic graphic. I have attached a revised version of my guitar amp as well.

When I tried it out with my revised guitar amp, it made a significant difference, at least on my Win XP, Sony Music Studio 7 DAW. It softened the high frequencies, stopped some of the squeals from the guitar amp.

It still needs more work (need to scale the frequency display appropriately depending on the selected low and high frequency range and continue experimenting with filter combinations). Below are some screen captures and osm if you want to play around with it. I would appreciate any constructive comments.
Attachments
13_0512_GuitarAmpCab_1_test4.fsm
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 1823 times
Guitar Cab_1.jpg
Guitar Cab_1.jpg (5.43 KiB) Viewed 32184 times
Guitar Cab_2.jpg
Guitar Cab_2.jpg (7.74 KiB) Viewed 32184 times
acg2010

Re: Guitar Amp and Cabinet modelling

Postby ahcurer » Sun May 19, 2013 2:18 am

Very cool, I like the mic placement thing. It sounds harsh on my laptop (well, because its a laptop) and I haven't tried it in a host but all in all a nice project!
ahcurer

Postby VPDannyMan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:16 am

You should get in touch with AcmeBarGig, they used SM to create this so I'm sure they'll be able to help you along a bit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F1K8EJoWC4
VPDannyMan

Postby d3drocks » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:00 am

I've actually been at the amp modeling thing for quite a while now myself. here's a good example of some modeling I did with synthmaker https://soundcloud.com/d3drocks/a-short ... l-rock-jam
I've upgraded to flowstone since, but I'm having issues making a GUI for it.
d3drocks

Postby acg2010 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:48 pm

Thanks d3drocks and VPDannyMan for comments and checking it out. I think I have resolved some of the sound issues by placing a built in filter based modeled cabinet. The revised version is posted in the User Examples section here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1654#p7484

Hope you will cehck it out and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Ph D(J) Music aka acg2010
acg2010

Postby antonella » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:13 am

I want to try my hand at building an amplifier (preferably a stack rather than a combo). Now before anyone says "It's more expensive and too complex, just go buy one" I already have amps. I've got a nice marshall stack, a fender hotrod deluxe combo, and a cheap crappy first act combo that a friend gave me that I never use. I want to do this more for gaining the knowledge and having a project to work on. The wall I keep running into is, I can do woodworking fine, but I'm as ignorant as they come on electricity. I have ZERO knowledge of how electronics work.

Postby jesterstudios » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:11 am

acg2010 wrote:Originally posted on SynthMaker forum, reposting here. I was hoping someone would try it out and comment back. So far 18 people downloaded it but provided no comments. Saved back as fsm format for this forum.

After my guitar amp project had a poor showing in the KVRAudio DC2013, I started reading more material on guitar amps and cabinets. I realized real amps produce a significant amount of high frequency harmonics and by themselves are not very pleasant to listen too. A guitar cabinet has a reduced frequency range and thus helps cut out those high frequencies.

So I started trying to simulate a guitar cabinet in SynthMaker. My simple approach was to use a combination of filters that would mimic the frequency response curve of the cabinet/speaker combinations. After finding very good reference material, it appeared others were using simple combinations of low and high pass filters. On one blog a person was experimenting with using a combination of low/high self and a notch filter so I thought I would start with that.
Thank you. I am going to try this out.
This is the result of that work. I included a frequency readout so you could adjust the response to your own taste. I also added a section that acts like the microphone adjustment that other cabinet sims have. However, my version only pans and adjusts the volume level using the X-Y pad created by oddson, Angular Momentum, and infusion, and a simple mic graphic. I have attached a revised version of my guitar amp as well.

When I tried it out with my revised guitar amp, it made a significant difference, at least on my Win XP, Sony Music Studio 7 DAW. It softened the high frequencies, stopped some of the squeals from the guitar amp.

It still needs more work (need to scale the frequency display appropriately depending on the selected low and high frequency range and continue experimenting with filter combinations). Below are some screen captures and osm if you want to play around with it. I would appreciate any constructive comments.
Industrial music isn't dead.
jesterstudios

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:20 am

Thanks AGC, I hadn't seen this before. It looks great and I will try it out.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Return to DSP