Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Fixed variable storage

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

Re: Fixed variable storage

Postby deraudrl » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:34 pm

tulamide wrote:Later on the Atari 520 I already was using a function-driven basic (way ahead of its time, but forgot the name), but learned to save on RAM (using nibbles instead of bytes and bitmasks and such weird stuff) to realize a full-featured 3-track "Tracker", that used the in-built OSCs to create the sounds. 3 mono tracks of realtime processed sounds! Who would even spend a second on something like that today?
Heh. Anybody here old enough to recognize the phrase "line printer music"?

That was where you fed a block of punch-cards into a mainframe, and the printout made the chains in the line-printer 'ring' to make notes to play a song.
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Postby trogluddite » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:32 pm

deraudrl wrote:Heh. Anybody here old enough to recognize the phrase "line printer music"?

For anyone who hasn't encountered this before - feast your ears!... YouTube: Rocky's Printer - Eye of the Tiger on a dot matrix printer.

Back when I used to be a CNC machine programmer/operator, I quite often used to know that something wasn't right because the machine wasn't "singing" the tune that it was supposed to.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby tulamide » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:06 am

trogluddite wrote:For anyone who hasn't encountered this before - feast your ears!... YouTube: Rocky's Printer - Eye of the Tiger on a dot matrix printer.
Don't you dare forgetting the greatest orchestra of all time - The Floppotron

Here performing "Beat it" by Michael Jackson, and if you think it will surrender to the famous guitar solo, you better listen to the whole thing!
https://youtu.be/6B522GbH3D8
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby deraudrl » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:19 am

Then as now, geeks with too much time on their hands. 8-)
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Postby deraudrl » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:24 am

The very definition of "old school": http://www.righto.com/2019/09/risky-lin ... e-ibm.html

The IBM 1401 was the first computer I ever programmed, over 50 years ago (high school). They could also make music with it by "transmitting" direct to radio, but I never saw that: "Programmers also used the 1401 to generate music on an AM radio via RF interference. Running the right instruction sequence generated a particular tone. We hope to try this in the future." (from the link above)
deraudrl

Postby trogluddite » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:00 pm

Thank you both, those had me grinning from ear to ear (and disappearing down the Google rabbit hole for a while - I'll wear out Wikipedia's "vintage computer gear" pages one of these days!)
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Previous

Return to DSP