Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

MIDI AUTOMATION????

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

MIDI AUTOMATION????

Postby lukeis2k20 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:46 pm

When i make a VST in flowstone and put it into a DAW will the automation work? or do i need to add my own MIDI automation into the design?
lukeis2k20

Re: MIDI AUTOMATION????

Postby ncmedia » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:16 pm

Heya,

Though I'm still in SM I assume most is still the same re theory.

Automation is handled by presets that are assigned to each knob/control - most in SM now have them built into most modules (and most DAW's now assign their own to missing/problematic presets if they can find their way into them).

If you have a schematic open go into any of the knobs (click on the little P - maybe different in FS) and look for 'preset' modules of any kind in there. If you see [preset] you simply give it a unique name so the DAW can recognize it and so you know what's what (use a standard naming convention - top level modules have their own presets too - so REVERB has a preset then each knob within it has one and you would see them as REVERB - WET/DRY when seeing them in your daw).

Also you'll need to make sure you have a preset manager module in your schematic in order for them to populate in your daw.

Even after all that - you'll need to test test test in as many daw's as you can. I get different results even within the same daw but different versions of it. The preset manager is one thing that always had its glitches in SM I'm not sure how it's handled if any differently in FS - so hopefully your tests come up positive. If available - grab any FSM files with ready to go synths/samplers that you can export a vst from to test/inspect yourself and see what limits you have if any.

**Your other post re showing/hiding sections - yes you can - search the forum for 'tabs' you'll see a few threads and can search further from terms you find in there. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2637&p=13335&hilit=tabs#p13335

Cheers.
ncmedia

Postby lukeis2k20 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:35 pm

nice, thanks.

and FYI the thing you said about click the P and then the preset name is exactly as you explained it in FS
lukeis2k20

Postby lukeis2k20 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:36 pm

any thoughts on this question??? this one is driving me nuts

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2932
lukeis2k20

Postby ncmedia » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:56 pm

I actually answered it for you already, above in the last part.
ncmedia

Postby lukeis2k20 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:33 pm

ah, sorry, missed that. it has been a very long few days.

thank you!
lukeis2k20

Postby KG_is_back » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:40 pm

lukeis2k20 wrote:When i make a VST in flowstone and put it into a DAW will the automation work? or do i need to add my own MIDI automation into the design?

Automation is handled via the preset manager module. All stock knobs have a preset parameter prim in them. These receive and transmit data from and to the preset manager. The preset manager function is twofold:
1.lets you save these parameters as presets and load presets to restore saved parameters
2.creates automation inputs and outputs for your DAW, which allows your DAW to save all the parameters with the project and receive and transmit the automation for them.

In stock knobs you may edit in preferences (to give each knob a unique name, select whether is should be saved with presets and whether is should be automated form your DAW).
With the preset manager module in the schematic your DAW should be able to recognize the knobs/sliders etc. and allow you to automate, save and load them.

The VST automation system is completely independent of MIDI. Knobs in FS can receive both MIDI and automation and GUI editing at the same time and those 3 will interfere. To allow knobs to receive MIDI you simply have to select the desired midi CC number in the knob preferences and from the midi input of your plugin (which is just a module at this time in your flowstone) create wireless transmitter (you may drag it from the toolbox or simply click "T"-key) to send the midi to all knobs (naturally most knobs will ignore it - unless specifically set to react to it in preferences).
However, I highly recommend not messing with MIDI CC. Most DAWs can easily convert midi into VST automation (FS studio for example does so by default, when you assign midi knob to a VST parameter input).
KG_is_back

Return to DSP