Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Impulse Response

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

Re: Impulse Response

Postby Spogg » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:35 am

martinvicanek wrote:Thanks, Spogg, you were spot on: I made a mistake right before uploading, which I now fixed in the original post. There was also another bug with the source selector whic is also fixed.
I will check out your IR generator later. I find it fascinating to be able to create arbitrary spaces this way, and I am thinkitg that we could integrate the IR generator with the convolution engine so you could use it right away without saving it to disk and loading it in another app. How does that sound?
KG, thanks for your thoughts and modification. I was actually planning to take it yet one step further and replace the green FFTs by stream versions hooked to analyzers.
tulamide, you have probably realized that we will at some point need to replace that ugly controls pannel by a proper GUI? ;)

It's fixed! Yay!! :D :D

It sounds wonderful on headphones and my synthetic IRs now work as I'd hoped for.
I had a lot of fun making many and varied stupid noises into the microphone this morning :lol:

I like very much the idea of an integrated IRA in the final product, not necessarily mine of course. I think the possibility of saving the created IR should be there too.

It's been really interesting for me to learn about this and a lot of fun to make a schematic that emulates real-world responses using just my ears for judgement. A synthetic IR will never beat a real-world one in my opinion because the spacial subleties will be absent, but, at the same time, you have very detailed control of the behaviour of the result with little effort. BTW I only just found out that if you drag up and down on the envelopes' scroll bar you can zoom the view. This is very useful for getting the all important initial attack correct.

Here's a great site with lots of IRs from many sources and some can be auditioned from the website:
http://emmanuelderuty.com/pages/impulses/#mpx1
There are some synthetic ones there. You must check out the the Lorenz, the Chaos and some of the real instrument ones, especially the Cymbal!

I checked out the Voxengo IR wave generator which seems to use a ray-tracing algorithm. This is far beyond my capabilities but I wonder if someone here could make such a thing...?. The Voxengo looks to have quite a steep learning curve however, whereas my approach is quick and dirty with fast results. To be able to audition the result shortly after pressing the FIRE button would be very nice.

I must say that I'm really looking forward to seeing what tulamide can create for the GUI, once we have a Release Candidate.

A great project with amazing results so far Martin, so many thanks and much respect.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:46 am

martinvicanek wrote:tulamide, you have probably realized that we will at some point need to replace that ugly controls pannel by a proper GUI? ;)

I'm working on it! I'm so damn slow compared to you all. Maybe it's because I want it done as good as I probably can. I spent 5 days searching the web for the font used for the flowstone logo. Then I gave up. Now I'm nearly finished with a first logo draft, and I have a complete vision of how the GUI should look like. Some elements already started. A first draft should be available soon.

How can you all be so fast? Everytime I think I got something good, I see hundreds of issues that bug me or "not quite right" things, and it takes longer and longer to finish.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby martinvicanek » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:19 am

Hey tulamide,

good to hear that you are working on the GUI. :D However, please do not finish your design too early, we might still want to add features and controls as we go.

Who has experience with releasing stuff at KVR Audio or elsewhere, and would be willing to do some marketing noise at some point? :mrgreen:
martinvicanek

Postby Spogg » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:16 am

tulamide wrote:How can you all be so fast? Everytime I think I got something good, I see hundreds of issues that bug me or "not quite right" things, and it takes longer and longer to finish.

Because you are a perfectionist. I can tell from all your output tulamide. It may well be a burden for you but we all benefit greatly :D :D

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby martinvicanek » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:51 pm

Next update!
Version 7 comes with a completely new IR preprocessing in ASM, replacing the green FFT arrays in previous versions. I found this necessary to provide more flexibility and better scaling regarding IR size. As an extra benefit the fsm has a smaller footprint now. :D

I set the IR size limit to 260k samples or 6s @ 44.1 kHz for now. If no problems occur we can crank it up to whatever seems appropriate.

Have fun!
ConvoRev7.fsm
(332.78 KiB) Downloaded 1572 times

P.S. Remember the Yamaha Rev7 in the 80s?
Attachments
ConvoRev7fixed.fsm
(332.56 KiB) Downloaded 1201 times
Last edited by martinvicanek on Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martinvicanek

Postby Walter Sommerfeld » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:15 pm

Real awesome work martin :)

I know there was something wrong in the Pack asm... ;) 2301 vs 1032
... my asm knowledge is really very basic :(

btw: hint 4 a free Headphone IR source?

Keep on doing!
Walter
Walter Sommerfeld

Postby Spogg » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:26 pm

Brilliant Martin!

The sound quality is great and I can't hear any background artefacts.

I can hear a nice extended tail on longer IRs. My Cathedral one is 10 seconds and it sounds really good to me.

My CPU has increased a little, from about 6.5% to about 8.5% (on Flowstone CPU meter). In my view this is well worth it.

Other points (for debate mainly):
(1) My personal preference would be for a Dry/Wet balance knob and an overall volume knob.
(2) I like to see level meters with peak hold to see where I'm at when making adjustments. This would be much more important in a stand-alone export since the host DAW for the VST export would have level meters normally.
(3) I'm not convinced that we really need the additional delay since this can be achieved either with the IRA or from the real IR recording.
(4) If I apply any audio feedback at all the engine squeals and cuts off. I don't understand this behaviour at the moment since it's all just digitised sound, wherever it comes from. Does this mean there is an audio input complexity limit?

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Tronic » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:57 pm

:ugeek:
Tronic

Postby tulamide » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:07 pm

Walter Sommerfeld wrote:btw: hint 4 a free Headphone IR source?

If simulating a real word room to get rid of binaural hearing with headphones is your intention, then you should look for the keywords HRIR (Head Related Impulse Response) and HRTF (Head Related Transform Function).

If it's the other way 'round, I have no clue.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby stw » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:30 am

martinvicanek wrote:Next update!
Have fun!
ConvoRev7.fsm

...erm... what the... :shock:
Simply outstanding! ;)
Seems my asm skills are a bit *cough*..."rusty" :?
stw

PreviousNext

Return to DSP