Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Direct Sound In/ Out Sync

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

Direct Sound In/ Out Sync

Postby arend » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:44 pm

Hello,
Looking for your help. I am trying to use the computer sound board as a low frequency "vector analyser", injecting a variable frequency signal (DS Out) to an input circuit (filter) and reading the output circuit through the DS In, so calculating the attenuation and phase between in/out. The issue is related with the phase, each time that the sin signal frequency is changed, the delay changes too (circuit independently). Sounds that the Direct Sound Out buffer is not synchronized with the Direct Sound In buffer.
Thank you !
Arend
arend

Re: Direct Sound In/ Out Sync

Postby lalalandsynth » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:49 pm

Latency , would be better with Asio but you will still have latency .
lalalandsynth

Postby arend » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:09 pm

lalalandsynth wrote:Latency , would be better with Asio but you will still have latency .

The latency could be compensated, if not changing all time (at frequency steps).
Thank you !
arend

Postby deraudrl » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:30 pm

The only reason I can imagine that latency would be frequency-dependent would be that there is a LPF on the output of the soundboard's DAC, and what you're seeing is its phase delay. Shouldn't be difficult to measure and compensate for, but I suspect its characteristics would vary between different boards.
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Postby DSP-Robotron » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:30 am

lalalandsynth wrote:Latency , would be better with Asio but you will still have latency .

The latency comes from FlowStone because it's accumulating all the open schematics on top of each other while showing you only the last one on the screen. That also explains why the results are 10 to 40 times slower than Synthedit.

Tell them to fix it and I need a free beta to play with. Preferably one that is not so extremely buggy like the current demo version (3.0.8.1 Skylark). Thanks.
DSP-Robotron

Postby Spogg » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:13 pm

DSP-Robotron wrote:The latency comes from FlowStone because it's accumulating all the open schematics on top of each other while showing you only the last one on the screen. That also explains why the results are 10 to 40 times slower than Synthedit.

Tell them to fix it and I need a free beta to play with. Preferably one that is not so extremely buggy like the current demo version (3.0.8.1 Skylark). Thanks.

Please refer to my comment on another thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4189&start=130#p162768

Cheers
Spogg

Return to DSP