Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Help to make Side chain plugin like Nicky Romero Kickstart

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

Help to make Side chain plugin like Nicky Romero Kickstart

Postby rdgaudio » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:22 pm

Help to make Side chain plugin like Nicky Romero Kickstart using Flowstone.
http://www.kickstart-plugin.com/
JC Conkato
rdgaudio

Re: Help to make Side chain plugin like Nicky Romero Kicksta

Postby Spogg » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:24 am

Interesting!

Needs 4 inputs. Stereo to be processed and stereo source for the control channel (side chain). Mono selectable for inputs and outputs.

Then selectable and adjustable envelope follower(s) (rms/peak/attack/decay/method etc.) with output response envelope shaping, threshold, knee, amount and make-up levels.

Basically a compressor/limiter with sidechain input? Or something more simple?

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby adamszabo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:48 am

I think its just a very simple volume curve thats multiplying the incoming signal, nothing fancy
adamszabo

Postby tulamide » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:04 pm

Indeed, the purpose of Kickstart was to give the EDM scene a tool to get the pumping effect (which EDM is living from) without cpu intensive compressing. You just put a repeating curve on the amplitude control that changes the incoming signal amplitude. That's it.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:08 pm

tulamide wrote: You just put a repeating curve on the amplitude control that changes the incoming signal amplitude. That's it.

But you must surely have some sort of envelope follower? That's where choices have to be made.
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Spogg wrote:
tulamide wrote: You just put a repeating curve on the amplitude control that changes the incoming signal amplitude. That's it.

But you must surely have some sort of envelope follower? That's where choices have to be made.

I never understood what an envelope follower is and nobody ever explained it to me in a way I could understand. So maybe my answer is a bit off, but this Kickstart tool has no complicated dsp. It is linked to midi, so that's where it knows the cycle from, and it uses premade curves. A curve is a bunch of numbers basically, with each number an amplitude value in the full digital range 0-1, so on every tick within the cycle it applies that value to the volume out. Done.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby adamszabo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:58 pm

Im sure its just a tempo synced lfo thats playing that curve on the graph
adamszabo

Postby Spogg » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:28 pm

tulamide wrote:I never understood what an envelope follower is and nobody ever explained it to me in a way I could understand.

An envelope follower converts the amplitude of an incoming sound to a control level, usually unipolar and typically in the range 0-1. This can then be used for anything that a control signal could be used for. For example controlling the output level (as in a compressor), or the filter cutoff frequency or a display on a meter.

The design details of the envelope follower will affect its response to the incoming signal. For example do you want to follow the rms value or the peak value and also how fast should it respond and how slowly the control signal should decay.
Plus, no fast envelope follower is immune to producing ripple on the control signal so a compromise may be needed for some applications to avoid distortion.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby rdgaudio » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:02 pm

Hahahaha... :lol: Thank you Spogg Sir, Tulamide Sir and Adamszabo Sir. Adamszabo Sir's concept is matching with my thinking.
What I am asking for is a predefined volume curved that is synced. In FL Studio using Gross beat or Love filter we can make Side chain from scratch and it's completely user customizable. But the Nicky Romero Kick Start is just a preset of Volume curved or a kind of Tempo Synced LFO. Most importantly it consumes very low CPU as a VST Plugins.

So I guess it is not like the so called Compressor with SC input etc.
However,I understood the theory but my point is.............................................
How can I do it Practically in Flowstone?
Frankly, I don't understand Flowstone very well. Imagine I am your student and you all my sirs.
JC Conkato
rdgaudio

Postby Nubeat7 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:16 am

Yes you are right, a compressor like tool OR envelope follower depends on the actual signal and follows its volume with different parameters line attack OR release... While the tool you are behind is just a synced envelope which isnt depending on the source signal itself, it also has nothing to do with sidechain modulation, because it doesnt feed any other soundsource into the Plugin which would manipulate the target signal, its basically a trancegate with different waveforms
Nubeat7

Next

Return to DSP