Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Getting poles out of the Moog filter

DSP related issues, mathematics, processing and techniques

Getting poles out of the Moog filter

Postby adamszabo » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:33 pm

Hey guys, I am in a need of a bit of help. I am testing the stock Moog filter thats in FlowStone, and as I understand in a moog filter, the signal goes through several poles before going out of the filter. I would like to see how the filter behaves when it only goes through the first pole, the second and so on. In this schematic I only output pole 3 (red graph), and pole 4 (blue graph). The pole 3 is acting all strange when one moves the cutoff. Anyone know why it doesnt work? Does the code need to be changed in some form? Thank you!
Attachments
filter_pole_outputs_3.0.6.fsm
(17.83 KiB) Downloaded 863 times
Last edited by adamszabo on Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
adamszabo

Re: Getting poles out of the Moog filter

Postby martinvicanek » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:05 pm

When you say the pole 3 [...] doesn't work, what would you expect instead?

The problem with this implementation is that there is an extra delay in the feedback loop, resulting in bad tuning and instability at high cutoffs. It is quite easily possible to overcome this drawback, refer to https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=350246
martinvicanek

Postby adamszabo » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:36 am

martinvicanek wrote:When you say the pole 3 [...] doesn't work, what would you expect instead?

Thanks for the link, I will take a look!
What I expected is to simply get the output of the other poles like in your version. In that one it worked as expected.
Attachments
filter_pole_outputs_2_3.0.6.fsm
(23.56 KiB) Downloaded 867 times
adamszabo

Postby martinvicanek » Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:46 pm

Ah, the filter in your second post is without an extra delay in the feedback loop (aka zero delay feedback). The loop gain is evaluated in advance and is distributed among the four lowpass stages. That's why you can choose an output terminal at each stage and get a normalized signal. Something similar happens with the second order state variable filter (in zero delay feedback implementation), where you have lowpass, bandpass and highpass output terminals.

You could probably apply a similar normalization to the filter in your first post, however the issues mentioned before remain.
martinvicanek

Return to DSP