Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Light Industrial Robot Welder, need programming help

Discuss robotics applications using FlowStone here

Light Industrial Robot Welder, need programming help

Postby Glomagno » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:24 am

Didn't know where to turn. I have reviewed many free CNC software and none are actually capable of what i am trying to accomplish. I'm a mechanical engineer with a weak programming background. I downloaded the flow stone trial and see what it can do but lack the knowledge of how to use it. I don't have a whole lot of time to learn programming. I wanted to know if anyone would be interested in working with me on this project. The welding torch section is still in progress. Basically i would like to control up to 6 axis using stepper motors. When the robot stops, using relays the brakes engage and hold the arms in place. Would also like the ability of welding in a straight line. I believe this is accomplished by moving 2-3 joints 1:1 opposite directions. A relay to operate a solenoid to activate the trigger of the welding torch as well. This robot is 100% my design and willing to share

Glomagno

Re: Light Industrial Robot Welder, need programming help

Postby Embedded » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:51 pm

Looks Impressive!

Maybe you could control it using the new Flowbotics Studio software:

http://www.dsprobotics.com/support/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=416

It also uses IK (Inverse Kinematics) which is what you need to do your straight line weld.

This has a sequencer to record the movements, and the ability to support different types of arms.

How do you talk to your arm, TCP, Com port ?

I would be happy to help you with this, is this a commercial product that we could make some money on? or just for fun?
Embedded

Postby Glomagno » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:17 am

hello embedded

It is intended for parallel port type stepper board. This can be made into a commercial product. Its primary function is to be able to hook up any 110 mig welder to this robot. Being able to do light production or just make some fine welds. weld tubing with a rotary indexer etc. possibilities are endless. I have this robot 50% built. working out the kinks. Mostly made out of laser cut .250 steel and .125 cold rolled steel. Few things i need to figure out like the brakes. Trying to get quotes on heavy duty yet affordable brakes. Then offer this package as a kit. I work at a machine shop with 3 trumpf laser and punch machines. tolerances best of .004 true position. Making production units is not a problem. And of course using the robots to make new ones :)

please contact me via email. glomagno@hotmail.com
Glomagno

Postby urthlight » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:07 am

I too am looking to use the printer port for my robot project. Surely there is a way to peek and poke the LPT port?
urthlight

Postby Embedded » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:04 pm

urthlight wrote:I too am looking to use the printer port for my robot project. Surely there is a way to peek and poke the LPT port?

You can definitely gain access to the printer port using the Ruby Module!
Embedded

Postby ttchiong » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:58 pm

Glomagno wrote:Didn't know where to turn. I have reviewed many free CNC software and none are actually capable of what i am trying to accomplish. I'm a mechanical engineer with a weak programming background. I downloaded the flow stone trial and see what it can do but lack the knowledge of how to use it. I don't have a whole lot of time to learn programming. I wanted to know if anyone would be interested in working with me on this project. The welding torch section is still in progress. Basically i would like to control up to 6 axis using stepper motors. When the robot stops, using relays the brakes engage and hold the arms in place. Would also like the ability of welding in a straight line. I believe this is accomplished by moving 2-3 joints 1:1 opposite directions. A relay to operate a solenoid to activate the trigger of the welding torch as well. This robot is 100% my design and willing to share

Simple solution (3axis): ask your CAD manager to visit www.ptc.com. The manufacture module will allow you to generate CNC codes based on your solid model in about 20 clicks (set up workcell, tools, and retract plane. Select path. Creo will automatically generate CNC codes as well as checking for any problems as well. Have fun!

ttchiong

Postby Glomagno » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:38 pm

how are they on pricing?
Glomagno

Postby Glomagno » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:32 pm

they offer cam software. im looking for more of a cnc interface. working with industrial welders its a lot easier just manually programming what you want it to do with the kinematic calculations.
Glomagno

Postby Glomagno » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:17 am

Glomagno

Postby kkannan » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:05 pm

It looks interesting. Having tried similar projects in the past i came to the conclusion that steppers are really not suitable for articulated robots. The problem with them is, to hold an arm you have to keep the steppers energized, and that makes the stepper drivers running real hot. If you disable the power, the detent torque alone is not sufficient to keep them in position. So a servo with planetary gear box is the correct solution.

On the other hand, you can try RC servos with high torque to build your arm. Have a look at the following link, IK problem is already solved. Just buy an arduino board and bunch of big servos and you are ready to roll. Of course there may be couple of issues like EMI and jerky motions.

http://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/progr ... on-arduino

Cheers/
kkannan

Next

Return to Robotics