Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

I just wonder whether there is extra documentation?

For anything not directly related to FlowStone

I just wonder whether there is extra documentation?

Postby Phil Thalasso » Fri May 31, 2019 2:54 pm

Hi all,
I may be just dumb, but in this case I was at least not too lazy to look at the manual. What is explained there on pp. 236 regarding the DSP Component certainly is helpful, but doesn't really meet my special needs of having things explained thoroughly to me.
Is there any extra documentation on "dsp code" available. Asked differently: Is that DSP Component using a proprietary language of its own or is that a derivative of something or is DSP code a language by itself??

I found this:
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~daz2002/t ... /code.html
on that
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~daz2002/tech/DSP2/

and now wonder whether I can buy a dsp-code tutorial or a dsp code textbook somewhere.
Thank you for an answer + have a nice week-end.
Best regards
Phil
Phil Thalasso

Re: I just wonder whether there is extra documentation?

Postby trogluddite » Fri May 31, 2019 6:14 pm

Phil Thalasso wrote:Is that DSP Component using a proprietary language of its own or is that a derivative of something or is DSP code a language by itself??

It's a proprietary language (though the syntax is similar to many general-purpose coding languages.) And the "native tongue" of DSP is essentially mathematics rather than any specific coding language. So unfortunately, there aren't any specific resources for it outside of the User Guide and whatever tutorials and examples have been put together by folks on the forums (sadly, much of this was lost along with the old SynthMaker forum and Wiki.) On the positive side, it is a very stripped-down language; the User Guide really does cover every language feature which is available, though I'd be the first to agree that some better worked examples would improve it enormously.

IMHO, probably the biggest challenge is that the DSP language is so stripped-back that generic on-line tutorials about coding and/or DSP can be difficult to translate. Even if we're able to comprehend examples written in another language, they often assume access to features taken for granted elsewhere but which the DSP code lacks, such as conditional branching, arbitrary-length loops, user-defined functions, etc. This is a necessary compromise so that FS can use the efficient four-channels-in-one features of SSE, but the DSP code's very simplicity ironically makes many algorithms much trickier to implement. Similar problems can arise with the ASM component, due to the restricted set of CPU instructions which it is allowed to use.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Postby Phil Thalasso » Fri May 31, 2019 7:41 pm

Once again, thank you Trogluddite. You're a kind man.
So, that leaves me with the option of either not even trying to understand or to go piece-by-piece with the help of posted material. The guide, however, reminds me more of a Soviet textbook than of any McGraw-Hill's products :-)
With the old synthmaker forum often cited as a source of wisdom, it certainly is sad that it is gone.
Have a nice evening!

Best regards
Phil
Phil Thalasso

Postby trogluddite » Fri May 31, 2019 8:32 pm

You're welcome.
Phil Thalasso wrote:You're a kind man.

Well, a kind of man, at least! :lol:

I think the best tactic is probably to begin by taking small chunks of stream schematic and try to turn those into equivalent DSP blocks - in the same way you might select a chunk to wrap into a module. Straightforward mathematical calculations are the easiest to start with, where there are no arrays (sample data in "mems") or decision-making parts. That will get you used to the syntax, variable declarations, inputs and outputs, and functions - all of the absolute essentials.

After that, there are a few key concepts to master (corresponding primitives in parenthesis)...
- When and how to use local variables for feedback (links from outputs back to inputs, delays.)
- Comparisons and decision making (comparisons, boolean logic gates, selectors and multiplexers.)
- Arrays of sample data ("Mem" primitives.)
And a few features with no primitive-based equivalent...
- Loops
- Stages
- Hopping

Of those, I would say that the "decision making" part is usually the one which baffles people the most, as it works utterly unlike most common languages, and the code doesn't read anywhere near as intuitively as the normal "if...then...else" kind of construction. This, at least, would be worth a new tutorial if none of the old ones can be found.
All schematics/modules I post are free for all to use - but a credit is always polite!
Don't stagnate, mutate to create!
trogluddite

Return to Off Topic