Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

Guys, please help me get some more free Gb of cloud storage

For anything not directly related to FlowStone

Guys, please help me get some more free Gb of cloud storage

Postby Tzarls » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Hi guys. The other day I was doing some rearranging to the PCs in my home and I found out that after 10 years of marriage I´ve managed to accumulate about 40 Gbs of photos and videos... and guess what? Not a single byte has been backed-up!!!! (In my defense, I´ve been too busy backing up my Synthmaker projects.... ;) ) So I´ve come up with a solution to make sure all that data lives as long as possible. I´ll burn some DVDs (the most unreliable part of the solution IMHO), then I´ll setup a Raspberry Pi as a low power file server and have the files copied to 2 hard drives for redundancy, and for off-site storage I´ve created an account at copy.com.

For those who don´t know about it, copy.com is currently offering new users 15Gb of free storage, but if you sign-up using a referal link then you (and the referer) get 5Gb as a bonus. And for each person that sign up using your referal link you can get 5Gb of additional storage, without limits - I´ve read about people having several Tb already!!!! So I´d appreciate if you can help me get some more Gbs for my photos and videos by signing up for the service (you´ll have to download their app, which is basically the same thing as Dropbox`s). Here´s my referal link:

https://copy.com?r=F8PiWV

Thank you guys! I´ll let you know how much space I end up with.
Tzarls

Re: Guys, please help me get some more free Gb of cloud stor

Postby tester » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:52 am

...good that you have great upload speeds! :mrgreen:

I wonder about these DVDs and incoming blurays called millenium data.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC
Need to take a break? Looking for relaxing sounds? I have something right for you.
(by purchasing, you are also supporting further development of related projects).
Thank you for your contribution.
tester

Postby Tzarls » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:08 am

Hi tester. Actually my upload speed isn´t that great.... but I have lots of patience!!!! ;) Plus I´m plannig to distribute the initial uploading process among the family.... some files uploading at my dad´s place, some other files at my in-law´s... you get the idea.

About the M-DISC thing - it looks interesting. I wonder if any of my drives can write in that format? Mmmmmm.....
Tzarls

Postby tester » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:29 am

New drives for m-disc are not expensive. They just must have m-disc write support (higher laser power). I think LG makes good ones. I'm thinking to buy one at some point.
Need to take a break? Looking for relaxing sounds? I have something right for you.
(by purchasing, you are also supporting further development of related projects).
tester

Postby stw » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:41 pm

Tzarls wrote:Thank you guys! I´ll let you know how much space I end up with.

[x] Done. Have a 20GB account now :)

Seems to be a nice DropBox alternative. Didn't know that service before...
If you got enough space maybe folks can click my bonus link? ;)
https://copy.com?r=jmJtyi
stw

Postby Tzarls » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:11 pm

tester wrote:New drives for m-disc are not expensive. They just must have m-disc write support (higher laser power). I think LG makes good ones. I'm thinking to buy one at some point.

The only problem is: how can we actually check if the claims about data lasting 1000 years is true? And.... will there be optical drives in 1000 years? :lol:
Tzarls

Postby Tzarls » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:15 pm

stw wrote:
Tzarls wrote:Thank you guys! I´ll let you know how much space I end up with.

[x] Done. Have a 20GB account now :)

Seems to be a nice DropBox alternative. Didn't know that service before...
If you got enough space maybe folks can click my bonus link? ;)
https://copy.com?r=jmJtyi

Thanks stw. Now I have 25Gb in my account! 15Gb to go.

And yes, feel free to post your referral links. As long as everyone only clicks mine, it´s ok. :lol:

(Just kidding of course!)
Tzarls

Postby tester » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Will there be internet in 1000 years? As we know it?
Will your data be stored for so long in internet services?
Will your content be still your content within few years from now on?
Will someone profile you and your family using your photos given to some web service?

It's a matter of taste, whether to prefer to sell your freedom for cloud or to keep your activity within controlled borderlines.

Both solutions have advantages and disadvantages. Thus - they are complementary. Backup your data on blurays and harddrives because you can, and make a copy of your data in the internet if you can.
tester

Postby Tzarls » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:36 pm

Hey, tester, you really feel you´re loosing freedom for using cloud storage? I´d really like to read your point of view. I can understand that by using, for example, facebook you might end up exposing aspects of your life that should be kept private, and some one with the wrong intentions could use that information for their benefits.... and yes, every system can be hacked, and maybe tomorrow someone could find a hole in barracuda´s system and have access to my photos.... but hey, you take risks like that all the time. Like, keeping photos at home, then one day someone enters my home and steals everything, including photo albums. Or when having a bank account - everyone who works in the finance market can have access to your info.... so, what´s the REAL risk of using the cloud for storing? (not speaking about social networks here).

On a related note: I initially thought of making my own cloud for backup.... but right now I could end up severely injured if I told my wife about my intentions of spending more money on *more* gadgets! So copy.com seemed like a great opportunity: lots of free space, they have a raspberry Pi app... of course, there´s really nothing free, but only time will tell how that service behaves and what their real intentions are. For the time being, they have what I need.

BTW, have you signed up? You don´t have to use it, but I´d appreciate the extra GBs! ;)
Tzarls

Postby tester » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:43 pm

I really prefer to keep my independence from third parties / corporate web solutions like that.
It's the direction in which it is going. Privacy is only one aspect of it.
tester

Next

Return to Off Topic