Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

philosophy

For anything not directly related to FlowStone

philosophy

Postby BobF » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:00 pm

Hello gang,
Well I have been thinking (I know a bad idea). Have we come as far as we can (music/sound group)? We have Oscillators, Filters, ADSR's, vca's, ring mods, phasers, flangers, sequencers, and etc.. Is this one possible reason why we do not see many new subscribers to to forum? Before I subscribed I viewed the forum for some time, downloaded a few fsm's, and played with Flowstone for several months. I thought what can I contribute ! I had built several analog/digital synthesizers in the past, so I looked at them again and there again were just the oscillators, filters, vca's, and etc.. So I decided to add things I did not see much, like stream type nand, or, and etc gates. Then I developed these into dividers and etc.. It did not really take off , not much real use for them I guess. At a later date I thought why not try scope/Lissajou art. Well this has really taken off. I guess the point is we really need to put on our thinking caps and do some real brain storming. Since I have been on the forum I have seen some new and really clever new things and this is really a great start, but this is only from a few . There has to be some new and cleaver ideas roaming around in all your heads. Come I gang lets see some new ideas. I even tried "Odd and different uses for modules", to hopefully spark new ideas, but it did not take off either. Is it TRUE like I said in the opening, have we really come as far as we can? Well that's my rant. Of course this to is open to discussion also. Well hoping to here from you all soon.

Later then, BobF.....

P.S., Sorry in advance if I upset or made anyone angry.
BobF

Re: philosophy

Postby KG_is_back » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:03 pm

Well, flowstone is mainly oriented towards real time Audio processing and robotics. Graphics and image processing certainly plays second violin. That makes following applications really badly implementable (if at all):
Image processing / visualisation
Game development
3D graphics

One might argue (as PHD correctly pointed out) that there are certainly better development platforms (far ahead of Flowstone) for those applications. For me, the path is more important than the result. As you said we basically exhausted audio-applications of flowstone and need to look wider / think bigger...

I'm currently working on a strategy game made in Flowstone. I have a great idea on how to implement animations. Will post examples soon...
KG_is_back

Postby BobF » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:50 pm

Thanks KG,
Basically I am hoping this little rant inspires everyone in all areas of FLOWSTONE ! Also still including Audio Processing.
I love audio processing myself and that is why I joined the forum. I was just suggesting we all do some brain storming and I am sure we can come up with some really interesting new things in all areas.

Thanks again! Later, BobF.....
BobF

Postby tester » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:26 pm

Like Trog once said - there are times of rather less activity and there are times of rather high activity.

As for brainstorming - it requires goals (directions). Right now, general market of ideas seems to be somewhere in between. Many things are evolving, but are not yet that popular.

As an example. Let say you want to make a BCI and measurement suite for it. Or intelligent AI. Or flock of micro-drones that don't require battery recharging.
Need to take a break? Looking for relaxing sounds? I have something right for you.
(by purchasing, you are also supporting further development of related projects).
Thank you for your contribution.
tester

Postby martinvicanek » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:53 pm

KG_is_back wrote:we basically exhausted audio-applications of flowstone
We have not seen much use of stream FFT yet. That's a shame really, as it is a key ingredient for e.g. spectral processing. For me the principal obstacles of using Trog/MyCo's stream FFT are:

1. latency overhead due to serialization of input/output
2. lack of random access to data

Both issues could be addressed with the various shared mem techniques available now. Any volunteers?
martinvicanek

Postby tulamide » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:54 pm

BobF wrote:Have we come as far as we can (music/sound group)?

I don't think so. It's rather that people are lazy, indifferent and greedy. Yes, I know, harsh words. But that's my conclusion from the last months of observation. Most people here just want to be fed with *enter your favourite module*. They don't want to invest (neither time nor brain), they want to get. Just so.

There's only a handful of us who really give impulses and make something new or different. For ages there were the stock oscs. Then came Martin. Different approach (algorithmic/assembler), better results. And nobody really noticed it until I combined his work into a module similar to the known one. Why? See above.

See KG and his dsp replacement. Awesome and a better tool than the original. Nobody notices it. Why? See above. It would envolve your own time and brain to make something out of it, since it's a tool. But people just want to get their next brick for the wall, not actually carve them.

See my central color management. Ew, he wants us to test it. No way! I'll grab it when ready. See Apex, my complete font to bitmap font application including a full featured bitmap font engine. As soon as I asked for participation by leaving a line, or anything to let me see it's actually worth the work - silence.

No, there are only a few impulses for doing something new, something different, something innovative. A collaborative work is impossible nowadays. Sad, but true.
tulamide

Postby tester » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:57 pm

No worries - KG's work is respected and acknowledged. Like the work of others. It does not mean however that everything has to be expressed so public. [But - yes, if someone starts to complain about lack of fanfares, then it may make an impression for new comers, that something is wrong. In other words - you are becoming a victim of your own words, in the meantime trying to take hostages.] :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Need to take a break? Looking for relaxing sounds? I have something right for you.
(by purchasing, you are also supporting further development of related projects).
tester

Postby tulamide » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:19 pm

tester wrote:No worries - KG's work is respected and acknowledged. Like the work of others. It does not mean however that everything has to be expressed so public. [But - yes, if someone starts to complain about lack of fanfares, then it may make an impression for new comers, that something is wrong. In other words - you are becoming a victim of your own words, in the meantime trying to take hostages.] :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well, if it needed another proof, here it is. We shall work hard to give. Don't dare to expect any reaction/participation or at least a thank you. It has to be a matter of course that you do the work for us. And if you complain - you are the one who's wrong.

Yeah, right :roll:
tulamide

Postby tester » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:00 am

Well - this topic is about philosophy, so let's philosophize a little bit. :mrgreen:

Do you have a good contact with people in general and with people you like to stay in touch with? Did you noticed, that with good friends - if over distance - sometimes there are longer periods of time, when you don't communicate? Yet you are always there if needed, and that matters.

So another question - how (in what way) do you pay attention to other people? Expectations vs relationships. Do you create relationships or force expectations? One creates frustration, the other one gives a sense of peace - that you are not alone/lonely.

It's not about right and wrong, it never was.

BTW, to we have scalable and editable spectrogram here? :o) This project should be doable at 16 or even 32kpts resolution, which is enough for creative, photoshop-like processing.
tester

Postby Tronic » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:48 pm

on the crest of the philosophy ...

If you give something, you should not expect anything?
I only hope that tomorrow someone still presents something.

Someone took the opportunity?
Take advantage of things is only a given, in all kinds of nature all this is normal.

You angry about this?
Well, not donate nothing.

Donate only to have confirmations of yourself as a good person?
Well, I do not think you are.

My English sucks?
I had no gift of nature on this.

Give and you shall receive.
Tronic

Next

Return to Off Topic