Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

Reason 9

For anything not directly related to FlowStone

Reason 9

Postby tulamide » Thu May 19, 2016 10:11 pm

Here Reason 9 is announced:

https://youtu.be/EEXFGO5NKc0

Thing is, what once was an innovative company that brought us new possibilities in music making is now just trying to compete in a market where they don't stand a chance.

What's new in R9?
* The "Players". Cool name, old thing. Those are midi manipulating effects, like chord creators, note repeaters and the like.
* Realtime audio pitch editor. Sounds familiar? Correct, it even looks like Melodyne.
* Bounce in place. Another standard from each DAW
* Visual themes. Another standard from many DAWs

A closed system that tries to be a DAW with VST plugins. Just that there is no open standard like VST. And no real DAW
tulamide

Re: Reason 9

Postby Jay » Thu May 26, 2016 2:46 pm

reason is good for getting down ideas, i have owned every version and will no doubt update to ver 9, the one good thing it has going for it is stability, it is rock solid unlike most full daw products and vst applications out there atm and that would end if they were to allow vsts which proppelerhead say wont ever happen anyway!

the synths on offer in the store are mostly overpriced garbage though as are most of the effects, quite a few that i have purchased would be blown out the water by even novice flowstone offerings!

still though it is good as a scratchpad! i do know quite a few people that have been signed to big labels and made lots of money from music that was made only using it!

regards
Jay

Postby Spogg » Thu May 26, 2016 4:05 pm

I liked the very early versions of Reason and it appealed to me, to some extent, because it was a closed system so you could share files and so on. But I didn't think much of the built-in sequencer and if you're going to use it as a re-wire thing then the original philosophy and stability is defeated. As I understand it, since there are now so many versions out there, the file sharing idea is lost too because your target audience would need the same version or later to share anything.
So, for me, it was a great idea in its time but these days what's the point? I find Reaper very stable and a great DAW too and you can plug in whatever you fancy.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Jay » Thu May 26, 2016 7:00 pm

yeah i would agree with most of that Spogg! there is that problem of people not being able to use shared files from newer versions! i never do that anyway but a hell of a lot of people do! where i see it getting used most often is novices buy it as their first foray into digital audio systems and a lot of guitarists and solo musicians like it for pure simplicity!

i would always recommend that they start out with a real daw and just take the learning curve on the chin!

Having a busy multiroom studio i see all levels of musical talents come through my doors, i provide a full 128 track protools suite as well as Cubase, sonar, live, reaper systems etc, hardly a soul cares about protools or wants it these days! even among the bigger well known bands i have had in! reaper is very very popular with much of my clientele as is cubase and ableton live! i do get asked sometimes if we have reason too and i usually just let those folk use my own copy on my personal machine! all in all though i would say that Reaper is the most popular daw with the young folk i see!

all the best!
Jay

Postby tulamide » Thu May 26, 2016 8:37 pm

With Reason (v5) I found a workhorse I don't want to miss. Its greatest plus is the unbelievably low cpu usage. Believe me, I use combinators (think of them as modules with one stereo output, that can have a chain of instruments and effects and mixers without any limit to the number of them) in extreme ways! Running a dozen of such combinators doesn't even make my pc sweat! I never had more than 30% processor load for complete songs with complex routings, that's where Quilcoms usually start at!

I also love the midi editor. Never found any other that is equally fun and easy to work with. From the clips to the parameter automation - everything is so intuitive. And it's just one click to swap between midi editing and song arrangement.

And then the goove manager! Load a groove file, apply it to a track and you're done. Those groove files aren't magic. You can even create them yourself! Your gitarrist played a sequence on his guitar via to-midi-converter? You love his timing? You just don't like the melodic part? Select the part whose timing you like, save as groove file, done. You can now apply that groove to anything you create. Here's a video, in case you want to hear it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REq9GijEtQo

And it is rock-solid! It is such a reliable piece of software, that I totally forget about saving! When I'm creative, I don't want to be interrupted. I just forget the world around me. Sometimes I'm working for 6 or more hours on an idea, before I remember that I hadn't saved at all since the beginning. No problem with Reason.

Well, it was a problem once: I was working the whole day on my idea, created patches, combinators, even a rough arrangement, had parameters automated, etc. Late afternoon, I was really pleased with what I achieved so far, there suddenly came a blackout (which, admitted, is rare around here). Sitting in front of a dark monitor, total silence around me, I realized I hadn't saved :o

I think, you get the point. It is just awesome as a big box of instruments and midi. Rewired to Reaper, I can do all the stuff, only a DAW can do, and add additional sounds from VSTi. Perfect.

That's version 5. Nowadays it is so blown up with all kinds audio related. Recording, mixing, editing. Not that it's bad, but it's not needed. Any serious producer will use a "real" DAW, when it comes to mixing/mastering. If only they had concentrated on the first concept. I mean, there are a bunch of instruments, for example, but the number of them hasn't changed since Kong came on board. That's like 6 years now? Instead you can now buy doubtful third-party-instruments. Why not keeping the intrument part of Reason up-to-date? For example, you can put something together that reminds on a trancegate - but hell, that's a lot of work. There's still no way to import your own waveforms to the Malström Graintable Synth. The list is long.
tulamide

Return to Off Topic