Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Will stream 2 midi ever be possible?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Will stream 2 midi ever be possible?

Postby guyman » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:38 pm

Without sampling / converting to float?

What is keeping us from having a prim that can take mono/poly/stream data and converting it to MIDI directly/ reliably/real time?

I've seen ruby implementations, but the cpu & latency it takes to create a frame of a mono, and feed it to ruby seems silly. Isn't this sort of stream clock the backbone of all daws?

The ruby clock doesn't function the same across all rates, so a ruby clock isn't the same as a stream clock.....
guyman

Re: Will stream 2 midi ever be possible?

Postby tulamide » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:53 pm

Correct, a Ruby clock isn't the same as a stream clock. But you don't need a Ruby clock.

Ruby is snyc'd to sample rate, when either you're working with ASIO out in your schematic, or use your plugin in a DAW. This is possible, because in reality something called double-buffering is going on behind the scenes in Flowstone. We are working on a buffer, while another buffer is sent to and processed by the DAC.

We just don't get to see it, because it is much cooler to actually work "sample-based". But you shouldn't forget about the real mechanic in the background. Because of the buffer, you can work sample-precise with Ruby as well (this is also explained somewhere in the user guide). Of course, the time Ruby needs to achieve something, needs to be shorter than the time a buffer needs. The time of a buffer can be calculated from its size. For example, a 256 samples buffer at 44.1 kHz covers approx. 6 ms. That should be enough for Ruby to create a MIDI event and send it.

For larger tasks however, Ruby will fail with a too small buffer. Look at your ASIO buffer and try to find a setting that covers, whatever you ask Ruby to do.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby guyman » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:21 pm

If that's the case (if i even understand you correctly :lol: ) why isn't there a fool proof step sequencer in ruby? why don't I see ruby oscillators? can I generate realtime index clocks in ruby? sync systems to ppq in ruby? adsr?

I guess to get the functionalities I have imagined in my head, I expect to create 2 ticks/clocks at any fraction of sample rate, one in ruby, one in stream/dspcode, and trigger them simultaneously, they should run in complete sync without question?

How do I do that?
guyman

Postby guyman » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:25 pm

I don't know if I'm communicating effectively.

I want to generate midi events reliably, like in the fl studio step sequencer, using data obtained from streams... or ditch streams for "ruby streams"???

Thank you for your responses.
guyman

Postby tulamide » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:28 pm

Yep, that's what I understood as well.

As I said, the crucial part is the time you have to get Ruby do things. And that isn't much time. That's why you can't see full blown sequencers.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby guyman » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:32 pm

Well to hell with ruby ! :twisted:
Will flowstone ever translate stream into midi signals?
Am I lost in a sea of ignorance?
guyman

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:57 pm

Last edited by MichaelBenjamin on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelBenjamin

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:59 pm

Last edited by MichaelBenjamin on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelBenjamin

Postby guyman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:10 pm

I want to run a custom clock that then runs a step sequencer... like a daw... any inaccuracy is unacceptable..

I'd love to run a stream into a prim, a set of scheduling commands/data sets... and get midi events on the other side... wholistic latency is acceptable, but things being off AT ALL would not...

a dream I suppose.
guyman

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:14 pm

Last edited by MichaelBenjamin on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelBenjamin

Next

Return to General