Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Is there an alternative to FFT prim?

For general discussion related FlowStone

Is there an alternative to FFT prim?

Postby guyman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:31 pm

Is there an alternative method to, or different use of, the FFT prim that "captures" & displays more low frequency content? perhaps another octave or so? Even if accuracy decreases this far down, I want bins to display freq content below what our FFT currently spits out...

I've thought maybe it could be slid over, and combined with an envelope follower, on a filtered signal, and filing the bins with that.

Couldn't make it work.

Possible? workaround?
guyman

Re: Is there an alternative to FFT prim?

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:48 pm

Last edited by MichaelBenjamin on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelBenjamin

Postby guyman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:06 pm

Thanks, but I'm not seeking more resolution in the lowend of the spectrum, as much as I am seeking to EXTEND the RANGE of the spectrum dsiplayed. I think the graph is only going down to 20hz, I want it to go down to about 10hz..
or am I misunderstanding what's taking place...
guyman

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:17 pm

Last edited by MichaelBenjamin on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelBenjamin

Postby guyman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 pm

I do, but it isn't showing a proportionate change in distance in the display view... the octaves in a display window of the spectrum are equidistant. so if I conduct some operation that pulls a mono sig into fft, and run a sine wave, or filter bells in and observe where the peaks are, they are all equal is distance to one another, but if I have a wave form below say ~20-25hz, it goes off screen.. I haven't seen this in some other fft displays in vsts, I assume it's because the prim is calculating an array that only displays the content above ~20hz, but if I want to show say 8 - 9 - 15 hz, I'm getting no proportionate shift in the spectrum, you would think if i did something to do this, all the octaves would shift to the right by the distance equal to one octave in the display.

I understand what you are saying about grabbing a large enough window of samples, but I think this has less to do with the math not being done to calculate those freq when given the appropriate window, as so uch the prim has a cutoff of what populates the array...

I don't know how the prim does the math, but I was wondering after typing all of this if ruby were a feasible alternative.... could one run a mono2float @ 100ticks or more(custom) and then run that number into ruby and conduct the transform... with custom fft parameters, and spit out an array on the other side that gives us a spectrum of bins of say 0-30,000... (40,000)...

I am imaginative and bright, but ignorant so always feel free to correct my presumptions of possibilities.
guyman

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:41 pm

MichaelBenjamin

Postby guyman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:45 pm

I'll contribute more to this convo after I study more on the actual formula of the fast fourier transform..

without posting my whole toy, all I can say is the graph is proportional, but doesn't show 11 octaves, only 10...

but back to the ruby thing, can custom FFT be done in ruby? like custom ranges, etc...?
guyman

Postby MichaelBenjamin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:49 pm

MichaelBenjamin

Postby guyman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:55 pm

Lol thanks :lol: but that is a bit above where I am today. I'll have to really dig in..... :lol:
guyman

Return to General