Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Automatic reloading of previously used settings

For general discussion related FlowStone

Automatic reloading of previously used settings

Postby Spogg » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:10 pm

Hello guys!

Our good friend Johan (djbrynte) asked me to help with something he wanted, but I confess it’s beyond me. Because he’s not confident with English, I offered to post here on his behalf.

If it’s actually possible, I feel convinced it would need a significant Ruby solution far beyond my basic grasp. So maybe someone here could help.

What he wants is a system whereby he would load a plugin for a new song, but the plugin would automatically restore all the settings when it was last used (in another song).

I believe this would require the creation of something like an ini file which was written to when any settings were changed. Then, when the plugin was next used, it would read the ini file and restore the last-used bank of presets.

Of course one could save a preset bank and reload that bank for a new song, but he would like it to be automatic.

We would really appreciate comments, ideas and, of course, solutions. If it’s NOT possible that’s also a valid response!

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Re: Automatic reloading of previously used settings

Postby djbrynte » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:16 pm

Thanks spogg. Im trying to use the synth to remember last used samples from some Maps. For example if i use a Map with samples i want so next time u use the plugin it remember last loaded samples;)
djbrynte

Postby billv » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:42 pm

Spogg wrote: the plugin would automatically restore all the settings when it was last used

My custom Preset manager can do this, although I'm not sure if this is what you after. :?
Scroll down the thread and select version 3.
http://www.dsprobotics.com/support/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2294
billv

Postby Spogg » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:26 pm

I checked this out Bill, thanks.

I made a VSTi and changed preset 1 name and settings and saved the song.
Then I started a new song (in Reaper) and loaded the VSTi into the new song.
The preset name had been remembered correctly from the previous song, but not the settings for that preset. The text file created alongside the plugin only listed the program names.

Maybe I misunderstood or did something wrong.

One issue I can see is where you have more than 1 plugin instance in a song. When the song is re-opened after saving, wouldn’t all the same VSTi plugins default to that saved file?

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby DaveyBoy » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:27 pm

Hi Guys

If it helps here is a very simplified version of how I save and load my settings using Ruby.

Save & Load Demo.fsm
(1.44 KiB) Downloaded 810 times

Change the values in the top Ruby edit and save.
An 'ini' file is created in the directory where the schematic is saved

Load the file in the lower ruby edit to see the changes.

To automate in your schematic:
Save to file at the same time as you change settings
Load using an afterload prim.

Maybe someone with more experience than me could develop this into a Ruby based Preset Manager.... Spogg? :D
DaveyBoy

Postby RJHollins » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:30 am

I had to do something for a project design I was working on ... it was a MIDI Controller for a series of RAM heavy plugins [numerous] that seemed to cause reload of settings to mess up.

One of the GURU's here pointed me to a File Management system call MARSHAL.

It has been quite awhile back ... remembering details on this is not fresh, but I remember that the 'technique' worked great.
RJHollins

Postby billv » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:39 am

RJHollins wrote: File Management system call MARSHAL.

Here's a module that saves and loads ruby using Marshal. It might help...
Save_load_Ruby.fsm
(653 Bytes) Downloaded 800 times
billv

Postby RJHollins » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:02 am

Nice .... thanks BillV 8-)
RJHollins

Postby Spogg » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Thanks for your input guys. :D

@DaveyBoy
This is clever and works well, but it would mean the whole current preset bank data would have to be dynamically updated and somehow reloaded into the FS preset manager to achieve what Johan was hoping for. I wouldn’t know where to start unfortunately, as my Ruby skills are still too basic. Plus, I don’t think a complete preset bank could be “forced” into the preset manager without dialogue.

@billv
Similar comments apply to your Ruby save and load. In this case the whole preset bank would have to be converted dynamically into a Ruby object, saved, and when re-loaded converted back to a preset bank that was automatically somehow forced back into the FS preset Manager.

I think the only viable solution would be a new Ruby-based preset manager which could handle all the parameters of a synth and, while that would be really nice, is way beyond me. It would also mean changing every control to interact with the new manager, since the “P” signal is proprietary in FlowStone so couldn’t be utilised.

At this point I’m thinking the “solution” for Johan is simply to ask his users to save the preset bank and reload it if they want to re-use the last settings. I believe this process can’t be automated with the FS Preset manager.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby DaveyBoy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:13 pm

Here's a little auto-load & save demo that I've thrown together:

Auto Save & Load Demo.fsm
(608.28 KiB) Downloaded 804 times

I've modified the knobs to get it to work but the same principle can be applied to other types of controls or values.
ini file is created with defaults on first use and then updated on a mouse left up event (if moving a knob).

It works with standalone exes but I haven't tested with vst.

If anyone is interested I will endeavour to get it to work in parallel with the preset manager system . . . let me know

Have fun :D

Edit: Please re-download . . small error in knobs corrected
Last edited by DaveyBoy on Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaveyBoy

Next

Return to General