Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

How do I send glissando midi messages?

For general discussion related FlowStone

How do I send glissando midi messages?

Postby boi123 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:23 pm

This tells how to make pitchbend in bytes, but I need to make them according to the pic.
MIDI Tutorial Part 8 - Pitch Bend
The Pitch Bend message is used to vary the pitch of the notes that are playing on the current MIDI channel. The message is the following:

Status byte : 1110 CCCC
Data byte 1 : 0LLL LLLL
Data byte 2 : 0MMM MMMM
where CCCC is the MIDI channel, LLLLLLL is the LSB of the pitch bend value and MMMMMMM is the MSB. The 14 bit value of the pitch bend is defined so that a value of 0x2000 is the center corresponding to the normal pitch of the note (no pitch change). Using numbers above 0x2000 (up to 0x3FFF) will increase the pitch and using numbers below (down to 0x0000) will decrease the pitch. The range of pitch change is symmetric (up and down) and can often be adjusted in the synthesizer itself. The most common range value is +/- 2 semitones around the standard note pitch.

Pitch bend is often used to create glissando and guitar bend effects. To achieve this, you must send a continuous sequence of pitch bend messages, to vary the pitch in real time, often enough so that the ear does not hear too much steps in the curve.

For instance, to "bend" a note of a semitone higher, you must send a value of 0x3000, which will be sent as:

0xE0 - 0x00 - 0x60
Indeed, the value 0x3000 must be split into two 7-bit values, giving 0x60 and 0x00 for the MSB and LSB parts.
Attachments
flowstone midi message.jpg
flowstone midi message.jpg (26.09 KiB) Viewed 7198 times
boi123

Re: How do I send glissando midi messages?

Postby tulamide » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:53 pm

status = 224
channel = whatever channel you want to transmit on
data1 = single steps
data2 = 128 steps

example: pitchbend value 9000
data1 = 40
data2 = 70
(70*128+40)
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby boi123 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:29 am

Thanks, that works, but also would like to make the slide happen over 1 second, not instantaneously.
boi123

Postby tulamide » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:09 pm

boi123 wrote:Thanks, that works, but also would like to make the slide happen over 1 second, not instantaneously.
That's up to you to realize. There are quite a few prims and modules that will help you with that (like looper or timer for example).
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Return to General