Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Pack your de-zippers for co-efficients with stereo pack

For general discussion related FlowStone

Pack your de-zippers for co-efficients with stereo pack

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:58 pm

Hi all, I've had differing results with stereo pack, but assuming you're only trying to pack two co-efficients at a time, it's a nice way of running those signals through a 20 mS (the most well rounded timing IMO) de-zipper to save memory, I was able to save 1.5% CPU in this manner. It meant two instances of stereo packed de-zipping and one singular de-zipper instance without packing (for forty bands in all).

A lot of savings and I felt it was nice to mention.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Re: Pack your de-zippers for co-efficients with stereo pack

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:14 pm

Schematic attached :)

coeff de-zip.fsm
5 or 6 slots
(971 Bytes) Downloaded 903 times
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby ChrisHooker » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:57 pm

SSE allows 4 channels to be processed together at the same CPU toll (hence the 4-dot symbol and naming of the "Mono4" connections), so even better than your stereo (2-channel) pack would be to use the stock Pack and Unpack primitives, supporting 4 channels.
That will take the CPU down to 1/4 of the original vs your 1/2.
ChrisHooker

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:00 pm

causes the de-zips to crash for some reason. the most possible is two at a time. tested many times.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby ChrisHooker » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:11 pm

No probs for me, but there's not much going on in this schematic. Maybe the cause of the crashing you're getting is actually something else you have happening in whatever schematic you've been trying it in.
Attachments
coeff de-zip (1).fsm
FS 3.0.8.1
(1.83 KiB) Downloaded 849 times
ChrisHooker

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:34 pm

When I say "crashing" I'd meant normally the signal converts to mono, I use the term loosely. Maybe the error I've seen is due to the RBJ filter type; but thanks for adding your own variant. I'm sure it will be useful if it works for someone.

Of course, by outputting mono instead of mono4 stream; it's sometimes counter intuitive until you change any instances of "streamin" to "monoin" if asm or code.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:23 pm

Here's an example of that happening in fsm form along with a youtube video going over the details of it. For an equalizer, this can be about as important like to a car as drive assembly or transmission.

This schematic shows, that by using a mono4 packing as was suggested by a poster, you'll likely get an overload or your audio will default to the left and go mono instead of stereo. Try it out for yourself; I provided the tests for:

- Stereo pack
- Mono4 pack (floawstone default)
- Fast ASM pack
- NO pack

And you'll get a better idea of what is and what is not possible with a co-efficient.

Watch this video to see this schematic being used and tested in a live environment. I alos talk about the alpha maybe becoming a beta soon and the likelihood of vst2 being a problem and possible workarounds and negations maybe. Either way, a new version of flowstone is very exciting.

64 bit friendly rbj packed coef.fsm
for 32 and 64 bit
(595.95 KiB) Downloaded 903 times
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby adamszabo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:12 am

Robert, it seems you dont fully understand how to pack things, and your lack of knowledge and ignorance results in that you are absolutely 100% convinced that the problem is with FlowStone and it is something that cannot be fixed, and it seems you are mocking FlowStone for it. Just because you dont know how to do things doesnt mean its not possible. I have fixed all versions for you, so they all work equally well, there is no magic voodoo mumbo jumbu bullsh*it, secret conspiracy coefficient dezipper abnormality or anomaly that you have secretly discovered. Its just that you have not learned things yet. Enjoy the fixed schematic.
Attachments
64 bit friendly rbj packed coef_FIXED.fsm
(596.04 KiB) Downloaded 886 times
adamszabo

Postby k brown » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:19 pm

I'm so puzzled by all these threads. I've built some pretty complex synths, and I use and test them on a 20 year old Win XP machine. I've never encountered any of the problems that Robert posts 'solutions' to - am I just incredibly lucky?

I sometimes wonder if his computer has major issues. Of course all of these things are related to effects (EQs and dynamics processors, etc.), is there a fundamental difference between synths and effects regarding these issues - mono vs poly, or something?
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby adamszabo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:42 pm

k brown wrote:I'm so puzzled by all these threads. I've built some pretty complex synths, and I use and test them on a 20 year old Win XP machine. I've never encountered any of the problems that Robert posts 'solutions' to - am I just incredibly lucky?

I sometimes wonder if his computer has major issues. Of course all of these things are related to effects (EQs and dynamics processors, etc.), is there a fundamental difference between synths and effects regarding these issues - mono vs poly, or something?

The answer is simple, he is using modules created by others for things that they werent designed for. Since he lacks the sufficient knowledge to understand and fix them, he assumes its a problem with FlowStone, then when we tell him its not he gets defensive. I provided the fix for his project to prove he is wrong, but got no reply...
adamszabo

Next

Return to General