Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Memories!

For general discussion related FlowStone

Re: Memories!

Postby tulamide » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:51 pm

When I said that my buddy was the best arranger I've ever met, I understated his talent. Luckily, I have proof of his excellence, because I found an old original recording on cassette, that he later (I always gave him a copy of any cassette for him to listen to and decide on a song to take for our repertoire), around 1990 or 1991 arranged into something that one actually wants to listen to. Please don't mind the lyrics, they are horrible. Back then I hadn't much experience writing in English. It was supposed to be about mercenaries and what I think about them (pretty childish view, but hey, I was a child back then)

Also, I did the mixing on the new rendition, arranged by my friend. And I made lots of mistakes. The vocals are way too loud, which is the most pita. I keep silent about the other mistakes.

Here's the original idea done by me somewhere around '84:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j9b038vqwhw2ube/war_criminal.mp3?dl=0

And here the arranged version from around '90 or '91
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2do9q6jhwd7n2cu/21%20Go%20To%20War.mp3?dl=0

I think you will agree that he is awesome at arranging!
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:14 pm

tulamide wrote: ... I think you will agree that he is awesome at arranging!

My word what a difference between those. :o

The first one is a “sketch”, with a hint of Kraftwerk influence I would say.

The second is a “proper” fully developed song and I love it!
On first listening to this arranged version I think the mix is spot on and, for me, the vocals are not only at the right level but I can hear the words, which is sadly uncommon.
In my view this should have been in the charts at the time; it’s just so damn professional.
Spogg

Postby marcelodantas » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:22 pm

OMFG! (which means: Only Music For Good)
So much good music here. We should put it all together in an album called "The Flowing Stones".

@Spogg - Daaaamn Duuuude (which in Somali means: Shuuuut Uuuup) "Tubes in Tubes" took me on a good trip. You can close your eyes and place a movie on top of it. Did you use modular synths on your creations?
Funny that my first computer was also a Z80, I had to design and build myself, no computer kits back in Brasil by the 80's. You would need to buy the parts, wait a month for them to arrive, and hope you won't fry any. Good times.

@Tulamide - Really good music, I like it. Now I have the "Released '90" version and the "Demo Tape '84" version, LOL. And you know what's the best: no excessive compression, no "loudness wars", how i miss those times. People would respect their parents, and mixing headroom.
Also, I especially miss the times where people selling computers at the stores actually knew what they were talking about. :D

I am not even checking the other threads anymore. I am staying on this one. LOL
marcelodantas

Postby Spogg » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:28 pm

marcelodantas wrote:@Spogg - Daaaamn Duuuude (which in Somali means: Shuuuut Uuuup) "Tubes in Tubes" took me on a good trip. You can close your eyes and place a movie on top of it. Did you use modular synths on your creations?

Thank you!
All the sounds you hear, apart from the KPR77 drum machine, came from the DX7 and all the presets used were my own; no factory stuff! Any effects were home made to my own design. The kit lists suggests that I did use the modular I guess, but I didn't. It was more of a list of what I had at the time.
Spogg

Previous

Return to General