Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

HDMI?

For general discussion related FlowStone

HDMI?

Postby tulamide » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:43 pm

Thanks to the donations and one extremely generous person among us, I was finally able to order a new monitor! Today it arrived. But the crazy thing is, although the monitor was first build in 2018, it is shipped with a VGA cable (I think it's called VGA D-Sub in full). My graphics card, although over 8 years old, doesn't support such an ancient tech.

It comes with DVI and HDMI. I'm currently using DVI.
The monitor, besides VGA, comes with two HDMI ports.

I need to buy a cable, but I'm unsure which is the correct one. A converter from DVI to HDMI (or vice-versa) doesn't make sense for me, so I think it should be an HDMI cable. But which version? I don't know which version the monitor and the graphics card support!

The monitor: ACER NITRO VG270bmiix
The graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 7870

Please help me with the correct HDMI version to use.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Re: HDMI?

Postby deraudrl » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:39 pm

I'm not sure there's an HDMI cable available that won't work: anything that will drive a TV will drive that monitor...it's just 1080P and the length would only be 1.5M. It's only when you go to 4K/5K and longer cables that it really matters.

That said, I'm a bit surprised it came with the VGA cable and not HDMI: last time I checked, VGA cables were more expensive than HDMI.
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Postby tulamide » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:08 pm

Just to make sure I understood: There is no version restriction and connecting a, say, 1.3 device with a 2.1 device, using a 2.0 cable would not introduce any issues?

I used DVI for so long that I never got into the HDMI topic. My old XBox 360 was connected via HDMI to my TV, but the cable back then was recommended, so I didn't think about it one second. Now for the new monitor (which is only Full HD on purpose, to aid my eyes) I googled a bit and it seems they are rolling out new versions by the minute. It's v2.1 currently, if Google trained me correctly, and that made me unsure, because my graphics card is so old.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby pshannon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:17 pm

tulamide wrote:Just to make sure I understood: There is no version restriction and connecting a, say, 1.3 device with a 2.1 device, using a 2.0 cable would not introduce any issues?

I used DVI for so long that I never got into the HDMI topic. My old XBox 360 was connected via HDMI to my TV, but the cable back then was recommended, so I didn't think about it one second. Now for the new monitor (which is only Full HD on purpose, to aid my eyes) I googled a bit and it seems they are rolling out new versions by the minute. It's v2.1 currently, if Google trained me correctly, and that made me unsure, because my graphics card is so old.

Congrats! I am glad to hear you were able to get a new monitor.

Stay away from the VGA :)
Any HDMI cable will work, it comes down to bandwidth and versions of the HDMI standard which is backwards compatible. Any hdmi version will support your monitor. However, DVI-->hdmi adapters are cheaper than the cable! You don't have to buy a replacement cable unless you want too. The video DVI and HDMI signal is digital and fully compatible between them without sound.

Good luck!

Here is what you need if you want to use the DVI port with HDMI:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CXY79KR/re ... ljaz10cnVl

https://www.newegg.com/p/30U-00B8-00010 ... lsrc=aw.ds
Last edited by pshannon on Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pshannon

Postby deraudrl » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:32 pm

tulamide wrote:Just to make sure I understood: There is no version restriction and connecting a, say, 1.3 device with a 2.1 device, using a 2.0 cable would not introduce any issues?
Don't overthink this. The HDMI cable hasn't changed physical format since day 1...it's a bit like twisted-pair Ethernet in that respect. It's only when you get to the bit-rate and attenuation limits that you need anything special in the way of cable.

(I'm using the generic piece of crap the cable company sent with my latest DVR to connect my desktop computer with a 2560x1440 monitor, no issues.)
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Postby pshannon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:38 pm

Agreed! Don't over think. Buy the cheapest one even, I have used gold ones expensive and cheap ones. I never actually analyzed the signal directly, but from watching the picture and sound, I couldn't see or hear a difference because it is digital. I do use Displayport for my newer RTX gear at 144hz and Ultrahd. But HDMI for anything else.
Last edited by pshannon on Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pshannon

Postby deraudrl » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:39 pm

pshannon wrote:However, DVI-->hdmi adapters are cheap! Don't buy a replacement cable for this. The video DVI and HDMI signal is digital and fully compatible between them without sound.
Unless he wants to wait a couple of weeks to get that Newegg adapter from China, Amazon has HDMI cables cheaper than their DVI-HDMI adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Hig ... B014I8SSD0
deraudrl

Postby nix » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:56 am

VGA is often used in servers still afaik

afaik- a generic hdmi cable will work
u can pay for a quality(more hard-wearing) one if u like
nix

Postby deraudrl » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:53 am

nix wrote:VGA is often used in servers still afaik
I found a link from 2010 or so that the major PC makers (Intel, Dell, Lenovo, etc) would phase out VGA completely by 2015. Didn't happen. As near as I can tell, VGA support is still baked into the current-gen Intel support chipset.

I just got a new (2019) Lenovo for my girlfriend to replace her ailing Dell. Both have a working VGA port. as does the 2019 GigaByte mobo I used in my current machine. Good thing too, as the DVI connector is broken on the 2003-vintage 4:3 monitor she loves. (If/when that antique Sharp dies, I'll be in a world of hurt: she hates 16:9 monitors. :shock: )
deraudrl

Postby nix » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:12 am

eBay is ur friend!

I have the nasty VGA monitor 26-28"
I was going to do some video editing, we'll see

I bet u could u could get some format on eBay
nix

Next

Return to General