Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Music listening/mastering EQ

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Music listening/mastering EQ

Postby k brown » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:16 am

Will do - one can do things in the analog realm that are not wise in digital.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby lalalandsynth » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:34 am

I could make a GUI like that if needed :)
lalalandsynth

Postby k brown » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:20 pm

Well, I figured a direct imitation of the hardware knobs would be impractical because the markings are so tiny and fine. But something more silvery and modern would be a nice alternative.
k brown

Postby k brown » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:54 pm

Here it is incorporating Martin's 'Cellino'. Also with a bit better GUI. I added Q switches for the two highest and lowest bands to switch between 0.5 and 0.75.
Viola_mv2.fsm
(1.98 MiB) Downloaded 1288 times

Thanks SO much Dr. Philter! 8-)
Last edited by k brown on Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
k brown

Postby lalalandsynth » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:35 am

Very nice , one thing with the gui , the 12 and 6 db are still marked as 20 .
lalalandsynth

Postby k brown » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:29 am

Yeah, I know - it was just too much work to make number labels incremented for those. I justify this to myself (I'm easy to fool) by the fact that the Fletcher-Munson curves make it sound like there's that much boost/cut at those frequencies. Rather like actual weather temperatures vs 'feels like'. :geek: :roll:

This is not a 'technical/scientific' EQ - one just sets it for the sound you like; the numbers are just decoration.

Lets' see - what other cheezy excuse can I think of . . .
k brown

Postby martinvicanek » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:08 pm

Could somebody please buy the hardware and compare against the FS clone? I am curious whether we could sell the software product also for 6 k€. :mrgreen:
martinvicanek

Postby k brown » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:10 pm

Ha !!

Some further tweaks. To make lala happy, redid the legending to accurately reflect the actual boost/cut in dB. Made slight adjustments to a couple of Fr and boost/cut settings to more accurately reflect those of the Audio Palette.

There were two different Cello EQ products - the original Audio Palette, and a later, less expensive more consumer-oriented unit called the Palette Preamplifier. This had the usual features one would expect in a home HiFi preamp: standard InOut jacks, input selector switch, tape monitor facilities, etc. I realized Martin had used the specs for this unit, rather than the Audio Palette. The AP had the bottom band at 15 Hz, with boost/cut of 29dB, rather than 20 Hz @ +/- 20 dB; 120 Hz band was +/- 14.5 dB, rather than 12, and top band was +/- 24 dB, rather than 20. Though the AP's top band was @ 25 kHz, rather than 20, at Martin's suggestion, I left it at 20 because we don't want the kids playing too close to Mr. Nyquist's backyard!

Controls also given the correct number of steps.

Added a control that always surprised me was not included in the Palette. One of the few commercial products that had it was the Apt Holman preamp - a L-R / L+R control for adjusting the strength of the center of the soundstage. Many classical recordings were/are done with rediculously wide mic spacing, resulting in the dreaded 'hole-in-the-middle'. Conversely, many pop recordings have too much of the mix panned close to the center resulting in a narrow, congested soundstage. This control allows adjusting to personal taste. I've marked it simply 'Center +/-'. It's also great for 'pushing back' a centered pop vocal that's mixed too loud, or bringing forward one that's mixed too low.

Replaced schematic in previous post.
k brown

Postby RJHollins » Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:44 pm

martinvicanek wrote:Here is an emulation of the EQ part, according to the transfer curves in the first post. Kevin, please check thre transfer function of your Viola, I believe there is an issue with negative dB settings (cuts).

I know this is an older thread ...

but I wanted to check out Martin's Cellino eq version.

Problem is, when I try to make a VST, none of the GUI values are changing when adjusted.

I Exported as a standard VST ... can any check this ?

thanks
RJHollins

Previous

Return to User Examples