Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Procedural generation in action!

For general discussion related FlowStone

Procedural generation in action!

Postby tulamide » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:54 pm

I don't know exactly when, a year or so ago, I talked about procedural generation, and how it differs from randomness and how exciting it would be to make a VST based on it. I wanted to share my knowledge about the topic, but nobody was interested. Some even tried to ridicule it.

Well, it's no surprise to me that the company Propellerheads thinks quite similar to myself, only that they have the manpower to realize a plugin, based on exactly that procedural generation. And it's of course just great, as I expected from this technology.

https://youtu.be/9V9GCxbILaw
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Re: Procedural generation in action!

Postby Spogg » Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:43 pm

Very impressive I must say. :shock:

I bet a huge amount of work went into those density algorithms and especially tying that into the visual map. I wonder if the cross-hair position can be recorded/automated. I also wonder if you can record and edit the created patterns at event level.

Reason is an amazing product, probably all you need in reality.
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:47 pm

Spogg wrote:Very impressive I must say. :shock:

I bet a huge amount of work went into those density algorithms and especially tying that into the visual map. I wonder if the cross-hair position can be recorded/automated. I also wonder if you can record and edit the created patterns at event level.

Reason is an amazing product, probably all you need in reality.

Yes, I'm sure the most amount of work was to transform map information into meaningful behaviour. That is the heart of procedural generation. Setting up rules, which define, how an object reacts to information coming in.

The second sentence is answered easily. Yes, it can be. Controls are always on the "back" of any device in Reason. Here's a screenshot of the map controls (I left the other ones out). As you can see, you can not only automate position/movement, you can also get the information of a position out to control other devices with it.
Screenshot_2020-09-05 Getting Started with Beat Map in Reason 11.png
Screenshot_2020-09-05 Getting Started with Beat Map in Reason 11.png (22.83 KiB) Viewed 16413 times

I'm not quite sure how you mean the last sentence. But maybe some of what I say matches, what you wonder about? Beatmap is a so called "player device". As such it operates on midi messages. Every device has its own track (and lanes) in the track view. Arming that track and pressing record + play will record the midi output of Beatmap. There's also a "copy to track'" function on any player device, which instantly creates a clip with the midi data on the track that belongs to Beatmap. And finally, since it has up to 8 patterns on up to 4 lanes, you can also use Reason's pattern lane on Beatmap's track, which tells Beatmap, when to play which pattern.
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:04 pm

Thanks for the responses tulamide. :D

If I actually made music and hadn’t got addicted to FlowStone I would buy Reason and have done with it. It’s gotten so powerful, in recent versions especially.

If you personally had version 11 would you actually want or need anything else?
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:01 pm

Spogg wrote:If you personally had version 11 would you actually want or need anything else?

No.

(I know it should be more text, but actually there's nothing more to say. Reason 11 is like a DAW, instrument & effect plugins and a modular environment, all in one app!)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:13 am

Ok, but does it have a truly wonderful midi gated delay?
;)
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:22 am

Spogg wrote:Ok, but does it have a truly wonderful midi gated delay?
;)

You thought you got me there, didn't you? But Reason 11 supports VST plugins (there's a special VST-device) :mrgreen:

... but Reason is also capable of it with its on-board tools https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqxBd1GJKPo ;)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:39 am

Yes I thought I’d got you!
:lol:

It just proves to me how powerful Reason has become. With the VST plugin support too it’s literally limitless. Wow!!
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:01 am

I know you consider the topic as ended, but allow me to blow your mind, now that you already understand how versatile Reason is. Please take 12 minutes time off to enjoy this video, that shows just how deep VST integration goes (even CV automation = Reason's modular aspect):

https://youtu.be/2Zy3RipH5u0

Just make sure to have a wet towel handy to cool your brain, before it explodes :mrgreen:
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:18 pm

Totally amazing! :o :shock:

I think it would take me many years to learn everything, but that’s like any deep program I guess. It seems that if you want to make music you don’t necessarily have to dive in deep, but I would want to get a handle on everything that’s possible.

Thank you for sharing the video. :D
Spogg

Next

Return to General