Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Elektron Digitone

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Elektron Digitone

Postby Spogg » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:36 am

I’ve modified LFO 1 so I think it now emulates the Digitone’s LFO modes correctly, although a certain amount of interpretation of the manual was involved! I left LFO 2 alone and arranged the additions to LFO 1’s schematic so you can see what I did (it’s not pretty!).

The main question I had was not answered in the manual, namely is the LFO monophonic or polyphonic? A mono one would modulate the chosen target in the same phase for all notes played, whereas a poly LFO would modulate each note from when it’s played. I chose to keep it poly for 2 reasons. One is that I think it’s more useful and secondly because a mono system would be a lot of work and re-triggering would sound wrong in my view, since it would affect any notes already sounding.

Modulating the green stepped ratios: It seems to me that developers these days think that everything should be a modulation target, even the effing algorithm! Maybe it’s expected by users, even though some targets will just sound crap when modulated. Also, as I’m sure you know, developers can do stuff in different ways than FlowStone is capable of. The review said that the stepped ratio thing sounded “zippered” but maybe it would be interesting or something. The core green binary processing was really involved and not made by me, so converting it all to stream would be a daunting task. However, I’ll give it some more thought. Maybe there’s a better algorithm which can be built in DSP (but I doubt it!).

Finally, I must mention the problem with using the BUS prims. If you want to make this available as 64 bit you need to know that it won’t work in FS4. Ages ago I documented the problem on Slack but it isn’t fixed yet. I found the issue when helping Johan and he had to change to multiplexors with wireless module outputs. Personally I prefer the multiplexor method because it’s easier to use Tab to find the sources and targets. In my opinion the Bus system is more about making a pretty schematic than improving functionality.

BTW I totally love the FlowTone name. Really clever!
Attachments
FlowTone dev 3 LFO spogg dev 5_.zip
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 512 times
Spogg

Postby k brown » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:09 pm

Thanks so much for crunching around in the LFO.

I think you're right about modulating the Ratios; seems a bit daft, and I think I'll just leave it out. Don't mess about with it unless you want to out of your own curiosity.

Thanks for pointing out the issue with the Bus system; I seem to remember you telling me this before; one of the problems with taking such a long break! I'll re-do it with Multiplexes. What exactly do you mean by 'using Tab'?

I got Martin's 1st order High Pass plugged in OK, but the stream input Low Pass I can't get working - adjusting the freq doesn't sound at all like the version with the green freq input; turning the freq down just seems to lower the output, rather than rolling off the highs. ?

When I post the updated version it'll also have a much different GUI - a little more like Viper.
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby Spogg » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:49 pm

k brown wrote:I think you're right about modulating the Ratios; seems a bit daft, and I think I'll just leave it out. Don't mess about with it unless you want to out of your own curiosity.

In actual fact, after messing around with maths and struggling with rounding issues, I managed to make a stream-based ratio stepper. I’ve attached a demo with it modulated by a simple LFO and I must say it sounds wild :o

k brown wrote:Thanks for pointing out the issue with the Bus system; I seem to remember you telling me this before; one of the problems with taking such a long break! I'll re-do it with Multiplexes. What exactly do you mean by 'using Tab'?

If you select a wireless connector and hit the keyboard Tab key it will take you to its wireless connections directly. That makes following a wireless connection easier, especially when there are multiple connections.

k brown wrote:I got Martin's 1st order High Pass plugged in OK, but the stream input Low Pass I can't get working - adjusting the freq doesn't sound at all like the version with the green freq input; turning the freq down just seems to lower the output, rather than rolling off the highs. ?

That’s a puzzle because I make extensive use of his high and low pass 1-pole filters. I never compared the green to the stream frequency control though because I always choose the stream ones.
Attachments
Stream-based ratio with LFO demo_.zip
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 514 times
Spogg

Postby k brown » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:39 pm

So, I'm getting close to finalizing this, but I've encountered a difficulty that I don't remember ever having before.

I added an additional item to the LFO's 'Mult' choices: "Kybd", where the LFO speed will track the keyboard. I got that all working fine, but when selected, the change won't take effect until any stream input inside the LFO is clicked on. Then have to do it again when switching back to normal ('x1').

I tried that weird '0 to output' thingy you came up with to address an issue with my 'maGGi' LFO; that doesn't work, then I tried force connecting an 'After Load' prim to a stream input, that doesn't do it either (?).

FlowTone dev4_stereo.fsm.zip
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 511 times

FlowTone copy.jpg
FlowTone copy.jpg (160.8 KiB) Viewed 10945 times
k brown

Postby Spogg » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:30 am

I fixed the issue (in LFO 1) and added comments to the schematic.

I’ve had this kinda thing happen before. When a schematic gets complex I think the timing between green and stream gets dodgy. I don’t know for sure about the cause, but the solution has always been to add a de-zipper, since that would appear to provide a correctly timed interface between green and stream.

I should add that I found it unpredictable as to when such a thing is needed, but my guess is that it’s trigger related. My thought is that the de-zipper triggers a priority read of the green value at the moment the poly channel opens.

Or... it’s a bug! :lol:
Attachments
FlowTone dev4_stereo -spogg LFO 1 fix.zip
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 505 times
Spogg

Postby deraudrl » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:27 pm

Spogg wrote:Or... it’s a bug! :lol:

In a mature software product?!? How can such a thing even happen?

Next thing, you'll be telling me there are bugs in Windows...
8-)
I keep a pair of oven mitts next to my computer so I don't get a concussion from slapping my forehead while I'm reading the responses to my questions.
deraudrl

Postby k brown » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:28 am

Well at 66 years, I guess I'm mature enough, but I'm certainly full of bugs !!
------
I guess I can call this v1.0 - Thanks Spogg for the zip-fix (I really should have thought to try that!); some additional GUI refinements (including lightening the Quilcom logo so it's easier to see), but main addition is Smart Labels for time readouts on the EG controls.

All EGs time scaled like minimoog - 10sec at max; 1 sec at center.

I suppose a version with FX is worth doing; we'll see if I have enough steam to go at it.

64bit version with four GUI sizes (by right-clicking on the 'FlowTone' label).

FlowTone v1.000 fs4.fsm.zip
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 493 times

I welcome all feature ideas, criticisms, refinement suggestions, etc.
k brown

Postby k brown » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:32 am

Ooops, just realized I used the version of Martin's Square and Ramp LFOs that have errors that prevent them working in FS4. Fixed.

FlowTone v1.000 fs4.fsm.zip
(1.26 MiB) Downloaded 509 times

Just as a reminder - very little of this synth is my work - the concept and general structure is from the Elektron Digitone hardware synth, the Ratio controls, odd AD/End EGs, the non-standard LFO modes, and other odd bits are from the 'Mind of Spogg', the GUI is heavily based on Adam's Viper, and as usual Martin's work is liberally sprinkled throughout. It was really more of an 'IKEA assembly' on my part. I guess my main contribution was organizing the panel layout to put all the controls into one view in a clear and logical manner - emulation of the hardware in this respect was out of the question !
Last edited by k brown on Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
k brown

Postby k brown » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:03 pm

A minor update -

It occurred to me that one of the odder limitations of the Digitone is that, having only 5 mod sources, one of them would be Breath. Since this is an FM synth, and the Multimode Filter wouldn't be used all the time, as it would in a subtractive synth, a more useful 5th mod source would be the Filter EG. So I made the 'Breath' button in the mod section toggle-able to 'FEG' by right-clicking it.

Since the 'hidden' right-click button blocks the left-click action in the area of the text, one has to click on an area of the button not covered by the 'Brth' label in order to select those mod controls. Is there a way to make that 'hidden' selector 'invisible' to left-click, so one doesn't have to click only outside the text to do this?

Schematic replaced in previous post.

P.S. - A 3.0.6 schematic is available too, of anyone wants it; like Spogg I build in 3.0.6, then open in FS4 to generate the 64bit with multiple GUI sizes.
k brown

Postby Spogg » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:17 am

k brown wrote:... P.S. - A 3.0.6 schematic is available too, of anyone wants it; like Spogg I build in 3.0.6, then open in FS4 to generate the 64bit with multiple GUI sizes.

Yes please to the 3.06 version! I can check out your question more easily then...

Cheers!
Spogg

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples