Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

variable delay time without artefacts

For general discussion related FlowStone

variable delay time without artefacts

Postby TrojakEW » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:02 pm

How to adjust delay time without causing artifact (cracks, noises or pitch shifting) :idea:

I need to adjust delay time for distance in stage panning in my "3d" panner attempt that cause problem during automatization of position. Any advise would be greatly appreciated :D .
TrojakEW

Re: variable delay time without artefacts

Postby Spogg » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:20 pm

Hi TrojakEW!

If you alter a delay time dynamically, the contents currently in the delay buffer will be read out at a different rate to which they were entered, so a pitch shift is inevitable while the delay time is changing. This is like the classic Doppler Effect in the real world.

Regarding crackles and noises this could be down to you using a delay which doesn’t use interpolation, meaning you will be requesting non-integer values for the delay clock.

There could be other reasons, like using green prims in the automation without de-zipping for example.

If you care to upload your schematic we can have a look and maybe make recommendations.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby TrojakEW » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:21 pm

Hey thanks Spogg.

Your answer make me realize what I really want to achieve. Pitch sliding due to delay change is more like feature because it adds "variability" to sound and it is quite handy for fx. For placing/positioning instruments there is no problem since delay will not change dynamically. I will also include option to turn of distance delay.

Really thanks :mrgreen: .
TrojakEW

Postby martinvicanek » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:48 pm

In case you didn't want the R2D2 sound when changing the delay time, there is a way to avoid it using two delay lines, one silent and the other active. You change the delay time on the silent one and then crossfade. I think I posted a working schematic some time ago.
martinvicanek

Postby rocknrollkat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:20 pm

TrojakEW wrote:How to adjust delay time without causing artifact (cracks, noises or pitch shifting) :idea:

I need to adjust delay time for distance in stage panning in my "3d" panner attempt that cause problem during automatization of position. Any advise would be greatly appreciated :D .

Hi TrojakEW !
Looks like you've stumbled upon one of the hallmark effects of the old tape echo delay days !
Several machines had a movable head to affect different delay times, and within minutes we discovered the most fun was horsing around with the head spacing 'on the fly', or 'live', as it were.
Here's a clip of the effect being created on the venerable Dynacord Echocord Mini, check out the sound at 1:35 in !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbsi8C2jOUk
....or here at 0:44 in !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulY5mM3cUxQ

ROXY :D
rocknrollkat

Postby Spogg » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:35 am

martinvicanek wrote:In case you didn't want the R2D2 sound when changing the delay time, there is a way to avoid it using two delay lines, one silent and the other active. You change the delay time on the silent one and then crossfade. I think I posted a working schematic some time ago.

Oooh can I see it please?

I also thought about having a silly amount of fixed delays set to different times and cross-fading between them to alter the delay, but it would probably sound like crap because of cancelling effects in the cross-fade regions. So I never bothered to try it out.
However, it might make an interesting noise, and some people do seem to like interesting noises :lol:

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby rocknrollkat » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:52 am

.[/quote]

"....some people do seem to like interesting noises :lol:

Cheers

Spogg[/quote]

That would be me.... ;)

rocknrollkat

Postby martinvicanek » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:56 pm

Here you go
Attachments
PitchPreservingDelay2.fsm
(8.63 KiB) Downloaded 904 times
martinvicanek

Postby rocknrollkat » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:19 pm

Hi Martin,
I may have a use for these , I was about to build an A/B switch do solve a problem I'm dealing with.
These may save me some time and headaches, thank you for posting !

rocknrollkat

Postby Spogg » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:11 pm

@ Martin: Many thanks Martin, I'll check it out soon.

@Roxy: I just love the old stuff! Thanks for the video links.

Spogg
Spogg

Next

Return to General