Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Click at note-on in exported executable

For general discussion related FlowStone

Click at note-on in exported executable

Postby Spogg » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:04 am

Guys, I have a problem and I wondered if you’ve had it yourself or if there’s a fix, or any ideas…

Normally I export just a VSTi for a synth but I wanted to export an executable too for my current project. It all works but I get a nasty click with note-on, only in the exported exe version. Here’s what I’ve done so far:

-Increased Attack time (slower ramp up to max level) but unless it’s too long I still get the clicks. At long Attack times there’s no click.
-Tried dc blocker before ADSR and also directly at output, no change.
-It’s fine with DirectX driver (primary and soundcard) but not with ASIO (Scarlett USB). But I get latency of course.
-Increased ASIO buffer size to max (20mS), no change.
-Tried exporting a different synth, still the same issue.
-Went over to the latest test alpha in Windows x64 and exported from that. Still get the clicks.
-There are no clicks from the exported VSTi in Reaper (same ASIO used).

My impression is that there’s something dodgy in the ASIO handling of an exported synth. Or maybe it doesn’t like my ASIO driver, but it is up to date.

If I find a work-around I’ll post it here, but in the meantime any suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Re: Click at note-on in exported executable

Postby Spogg » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:22 am

I’ve now tried ASIO4ALL 2.14 connected to the Scarlett WDM driver and it works fine. I shouldn’t need to do this because I have a proprietary ASIO driver that works fine in all other situations, but at least it works!

Thanks for listening!

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Spogg » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:36 am

I should also mention that I just tried “downgrading” to FS 3.06 but the clicks still happened.

I’m going to stay with this version 3.06, based on tulamide’s recommendations, and see how I get on. I backed everything up before doing it, but everything still seems to be in place and working, without having to restore anything.

I’m forced to assume the clicking is driver-related, unless you suggest otherwise.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby adamszabo » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:24 pm

My first reaction would have been the envelopes but then I read you tried them. Its indeed strange why the asio driver should matter. Maybe there is some sample rate changes going on, and somewhere in the schematic this causes problems? Thats the only thing I could think of at the moment.
adamszabo

Postby Spogg » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:59 pm

Thanks Adam, but ASIO and everything is running at 44.1kHz with no internal changes in the schematic.

I don't like not understanding why something is happening or not, but I at least have a work-around.

Cheers

Spoff
Spogg

Postby tulamide » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:39 pm

Spogg wrote:Spoff

Who's that, and what have you done to my favourite Vulcan?

Let's do it the Sherlock way:

- There's a consistent schematic.
- There's a problem that only happens, when ASIO is the selected audio driver.
- There's no issue with any other driver, not even ASIO4All.
- There's no issue when run as a plugin.

Conclusion:
When the setting changes from being encapsulated and controlled by a DAW to acting as a host itself, which includes the handling of audio drivers, the ASIO driver is handled differently as from the DAW and that causes the engine to click at Note-On. In other words, whenever new sound is produced. Since the sound driver's buffers are constantly updated, it can't be a buffer problem, else it would click regularly and repeatedly.

Clicks are a sign of missing or wrong audio data. As such, it would be possible that there is a memory addressing issue (for example a shift to shortly before the actual memory start byte). It seems to only happen in the combination of that one specific audio driver and the executable of an instrument, which leads the the conclusion that there is a miscommunication between only those two.

If anyone else can report the same clicks on Note-On in an executable with a different proprietary ASIO driver, then the issue is caused by Flowstone alone. If not, I would rather assume the driver may need an update.
"There lies the dog buried" (German saying translated literally)
tulamide

Postby Spogg » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:54 pm

Spoff :lol:
I'm so old I forgot my own name and insulted my Vulcan cultural upbringing in the process.

I agree completely with your analysis tulamide. All we need is for someone else, or a few, to check it out. It's not a subtle click and it sounds more harsh than too fast an attack time. I noticed that if you repeatedly play a single note it's much more apparent on the first note-on, but if you play a scale it's there on every new note.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Spogg » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:50 pm

OK, a bit more info:

When I tested with a completely different synth I used my ASS. And my ASS clicked.

But I just tried the demo synth that comes with Flowstone and… no clicks.

So… I need to try and find out just what in my schematics is causing this. Of course it could be just the size, but size, so they say, shouldn’t matter.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Spogg » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:35 pm

Sorry, ignore the post above :oops:

The basic example synth does click, but to hear it you need to select a sine wave and open up the filter to hear it. Clicks on my ASIO but not on Directsound.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby Spogg » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:43 am

Guys…

To make it a bit easier for you to test for me I’ve prepared a FSM, an exported version ready to go and a very short video of my issue. The zip is about 6 megs so I would really appreciate it if you could download and test it for me. The synth is already set up on preset 1 to demo the clicking.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/raqfb3oi8kjsc ... o.zip?dl=0

This only applies if you have a native/proprietary ASIO driver for your soundcard, since it works fine on my system with ASIO4ALL.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Return to General