Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Synthmaker bundle

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Synthmaker bundle

Postby k brown » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:11 am

Hey, I've a general question for the gurus out there - nothing to with the ESQ-1 project.

I was going through an ancient SM schematic called UniRetro by Christoph Bielen that was on the old Synthmaker website and I noticed that throughout most of the actual audio path he seemed to avoid using stream prims in favor of code modules, for things like vcas and mixers/adders. Prims were used more often for control voltages, etc. So in my most recent finishing up of old projects and re-dos, I did the same and it seems that the sound is much smoother and cleaner/fuller. Is this possible, or just my imagination? Maybe it's mostly the replacement of most of the oscillators with Vicanek's low-distortion BLITs? And/or his re-tuned SVF filter? Just seems like everything I've wrapped up lately sounds better. Also much lower CPU loads.

I apologize for my ignorance on these things - any thoughts?
Website for the plugins : http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
k brown

Postby nix » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:41 am

Should be just the same Kevin mate.
Multiplies is exactly the same, whether code or prim,
as is plus
nix

Postby k brown » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:10 am

I kind of figured that, since both are just shuffling bits around - must be Martin's oscillators (or my imagination ;-} ). Any idea why Bielen would have gone to the trouble of doing that?
k brown

Postby Spogg » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:45 am

Here’s my opinion Kevin…

You changed the filter for Martin’s, and that’s probably the only effect that’ll be audible. Also, with the new and improved filters AND his oscillators I would expect the CPU to be a lot lower.

Plus, did you do a proper A/B comparison? If not, you might have a cognitive bias going on. Like if you expend a lot of energy or money on something, you anticipate an improvement.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:12 am

As a long-time audiophile I'm all too aware of how easily one can hear what one wants to hear. But you don't think Martin's BLIT oscs are cleaner than the SM stock ones? I think he claimed a significant degree of reduction in distortion.

Did he do some other filters? - the only one I'm aware of is his 're-tuning' of the SVF.
k brown

Postby Spogg » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:30 am

I don't think there's a difference between the sound of the stock oscillators and Martin's. None that I can hear anyway, but others may disagree. The huge advantage is with CPU useage, which can be a reduction to as little as 10% of stock.

Martin has made many filters; I think of him as the Filter King. If you need something specific he will probably have it or even make it for you if you ask him. You'll find many examples on this forum but they'll 'll all be in FSM format of course.

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby k brown » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:56 am

I found where I got that impression - a note inside his sine osc that says "some harmonic distortion (<90%)" - I think he means that distortion is <10%. Is this lower than the stock sine osc?
k brown

Postby Spogg » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:55 am

I don't know!
I would ask Martin because I don't know how to measure thd, sorry!
Or maybe someone here has a tool to do this...

Cheers

Spogg
Spogg

Postby RJHollins » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:32 pm

PluginDoctor can measure THD of a VST plugin ... as well as other useful tests [freq response, phase, harmonics, compression curves, etc].
RJHollins

Postby martinvicanek » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:21 am

k brown wrote:a note inside his sine osc that says "some harmonic distortion (<90%)"

Sorry that should read "harmonic distortion < -90 dB". That's a negligible amount of distortion and, since it is harmonic, it would not be perceived as disturbing (as opposed to aliasing). The stock sine generator has (negligible) distortion, too.
capture.png
capture.png (105.21 KiB) Viewed 17668 times
martinvicanek

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples