Support

If you have a problem or need to report a bug please email : support@dsprobotics.com

There are 3 sections to this support area:

DOWNLOADS: access to product manuals, support files and drivers

HELP & INFORMATION: tutorials and example files for learning or finding pre-made modules for your projects

USER FORUMS: meet with other users and exchange ideas, you can also get help and assistance here

NEW REGISTRATIONS - please contact us if you wish to register on the forum

Troll Xmas: Doubler named Hydra

Post any examples or modules that you want to share here

Re: Troll Xmas: Doubler named Hydra

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:58 pm

Funny how you can update the GUI of an older version. The version I posted was like 10 subversions old lol. Anyways, this one works very well and it's choice.

The knobs from the other one just don't sound nice. Or at least the code of the end product doesn't create a nice end product; and it's trial and error. So I think I'll revert to these space monkey knobs I made for this product.

It's at 2% CPU though. It could be smaller. Once I change the knobs over to a simpler math using area shrink modules I'll replace the arc with Ruby and perhaps the text too so it scales properly by percentile. I tested it with Guitar sounds. I tested the sound for about four hours so I'm certain that it's palpable, but not certain that the broadcast leveling works as well as I wish it would.

That's My ultimate goal; To have a ceiling slider to the right so that it automatically reduces the volume dynamically rather than limiting after the fact. Enjoy this product; It's everything I said it was in the last post :/ blah lol.
My youtube channel: DSPplug
My Websites: www.dspplug.com KVRaudio flowstone products
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:18 pm

OK, so - Into a stage now that might be considered beta. This version has very slow volume. The volume can change by degrees but with vocals it doesn't get too quiet all of a sudden. Useful for vocals. You could use this for other things, but that's not what it was designed for.
There's a free knob that's quite good in here for whoever wants it. It looks nice and should serve You well if you fix its lag problem.

Let Me know if You think that this effect is "good enough" if someone says so, I will stick with that. When You've let Me know I will continue with this project. Until then I'll be upgrading FDN Reverb and making it a final and then I'll get into finishing spectre till its perfect, I want to add some GR because bass is a bit loud treble is a bit to quiet as well.

So, anyone; If You have a newer version of Trogluddite's auto off reverb that's newer than His 2013 version can You share it here? Useful for Me. Need it for a now abandoned project. The 2013 version ended up crashing. And no amount of extra addons seemed to fix it from happening.
Speaking of bugs, this project was bugging when output to a plugin. Seems fixable though.

Updated version on first post.

BTW, this version (20) has nice gifts, 2-6x input mean averages and standard deviations for You limiter and makeup nuts out there. I admit, the standard deviation has an almost deadening impact on volume change. It's sobering; Maybe division would slow it and make it sound less muddy. You decide. Good luck.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:26 pm

So, I noticed in the way of mathematics We have a lacking on the forum int he sense of premade examples that do basic functions.
I like the fact that We have access to complicated solutions but often Our ability when humbled to use sophisticated math is hampered by inaccessibility of statistics functions and mathematical averaging mechanisms.

They are definitely the handiest things for DSP. So, keep in mind the latest version has these:

• Mean Average (/2 items)
  • Mean Average (/3 items)
  • Mean Average (/4 items)
  • Mean Average (/5 items)
  • Mean Average (/6 items)

A mean average is a very basic way to check averages and it is useful in many tenses. There's not much to it.

as well as:
  • Statistical Deviation (/2 items)
  • Statistical Deviation (/3 items)
  • Statistical Deviation (/4 items)
  • Statistical Deviation (/5 items)
  • Statistical Deviation (/6 items)

A standard deviation is much like the name would suggest; That averaged loss of Mode / Mean / Median. And loss is sometimes exactly what you need to know for things like limiters and peak reduction. I would also recommend standard deviation in cases where You are testing stereo width against a norm. What you do is get the two norms and then reduce or average by mean or multiply by the percentile of the mean and deviation to keep the grade smooth. You could also then in turn use a median to decide a dramatic middle ground; But dramatic.

Really useful stuff. Though, in an earlier post I mentioned that too much multiplication leaves sound seeming smooth and muddy. A bit of division is slower in the fractions of milliseconds but it has a slight raspier sound as a result and You mind find pleasing. There's such a thing as too smooth, the faster the sound, the smoother it is. In truth, I'm often smoothing over the result of superfluous amounts of division; Albeit handy - But too much smoothness (especially in the real-time dynamic applications) is so dull and lifeless.

I'm getting into some basic statistical math now, including Mode and Outlying Data Points.
While Mean is thrown off by a data point outlier; Mode can forego the peaks and allows You to succeed with a weighted average.
I'll be including the above average tools with Mode, Median and some of My own tools for deciding the average chronologically or ultimately. It's always preferred to be dynamic though IMO.

So, Coming Soon:
  • Mode calculator module
  • Median calculator module
  • Chronological average device that uses a combination of averaged results and deviation as well as lowest keep-alive average
With these I'm sure You'll be able to make a Governor or something handy.

For more information regarding median, mode and mean watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1HEzNTGeZ4

All math modules coming soon in: LA School Tools:Math Functions V1
which will be found in the LA School tools post:
http://www.flowstone.co.uk/support/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13647&p=45720&hilit=LA+School

However, it's not perfect without keeping in mind that certain ideas like normalization are chronological. And data points dependent on time use the median and a mode to decide the average but (I would use) a standard deviation to decide how much influence the mean average (often wildly thrown off "spikes") has.

Too much normalization for the mind is a strange idea, but it's like air; I think what We hear: Ultimately is the competition of air pressure and sound amplitude; We hear the (fight), the collision between the two forces. A good thing to keep in mind because I have the feeling that My new Hydra 7 is too smooth. It could benefit from having the inclusion of something like a formant with fast peaks an drops which is mixed in by a small percentile. Or elese there's no fight, there's no excitement in the sound.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:12 pm

I just wanted to remind that this place for Me, is like a log. I know other people have some business or something and they want notoriety and that's cool but for Me I'm just a student learning this product. I leave logs here reminding Myself of everything I need to do and learn as I go.

However, this new version of Hydra is woot! very cool. I was able to remove any kind of instability that stopped it from loading by doing the following things:

• Removing ASM Stereo Packs & Replacing with conventional primitives
  • Removed Mono stream primitives (old versions from synthmaker) and replaced with ASM

Ok, so with those things done it loads fairly well, but it's a bit warm on the GPU. It's so due to the fact that I use image-less knobs which are made from primitives. They're very fast; But it seems like versions of Flowstone other than the FL Studio version of 3.08 have better redraw events when moving a knob. But I guess what that says to Me is that there is still an issue which has been solved with a windows hack.

And if that is the case; Than I'm sure it's present when You try to run it in Mac. So, I came up with a workaround and am pondering whether or not I should make something called the knob wizard. I'll make another post about it.

So, all images look cool and the workings of it are very stable, It sounds better than most coef equalizers. I remind that the 5 band crossover is the summated work of I and Martin Vicanek. I'd found a really fast way of optimizing which is still functional and it's the fastest crossover I've tested. If anyone else knows of a five band crossover that I can test that might be faster let me know.

Also, at one point during testing I'd thought there might be a stability issue with the slide primitives. I'd tested their functionality against ASM slides that doe the same thing. Even using a 100ms tick the slides were amazingly faster. It was scary how staggering it was to be honest. I presume that slides might be the only primitive that can handle affecting volume real time like in the way of an envelope.

Enjoy the pre-final, download on first post

and BTW, people have questioned why I worry about speed. Did You know logic amongst others runs at only 1ms latency? FL Studio is rather slow by comparison. You might want to try NCH Mixpad for a VST testing environment. It will give You an idea of how Your plugin will standup. It runs innately at 1ms of nudge.

Here's an image of that:
optimized-nch-mixpad.jpg

It's why I say, Multiplication is the best route. I mean within ASM perhaps trigonometry is the best route; But I would guess in either tense the fastest instance is straight math with a near total lack of long division for float point (0.0000000001) values.

I intend to make modules for every instance of trigonometry so that I can use it for My calculations and yet the inner workings have no instance of long division that tries to summate a sum greater than one or two, three maybe (dependent on rounding up or down - Up could be handy). I've noticed that the ability to summate a lesser average is hampered lest its done in trigonometry (makes You wonder why they don't teach it in schools). I was talking to My father Who's a mathematician and He was surprised that "a" method is not curriculum.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:29 pm

Making a nice guide for this; I'll be updating it next week.
I decided to keep the volume the same. It's just about perfect considering LU and LTFS standards.

Here's a sneak peak at the new manual:
Last edited by wlangfor@uoguelph.ca on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby ChrisHooker » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:24 am

wlangfor@uoguelph.ca wrote:I just wanted to remind that this place for Me, is like a log. I know other people have some business or something and they want notoriety and that's cool but for Me I'm just a student learning this product. I leave logs here reminding Myself of everything I need to do and learn as I go.

You should keep in mind that the User Examples sub-forum is intended as a place to provide people with assistance via functional examples, not as a personal scratch pad where you post dozens of versions of your projects at intermediate stages with non-tested, semi-functional schematics. Keeping logs of what you need to do/learn should be done at home, not here in the guise of examples for other users. ...Unless you're seeking notoriety. (P.S. - you should look up the definition of that word. It's typically reserved for doing bad. Most of us DON'T want to be known for that.)

You lose face and reduce people's interest in trying your examples when you repeatedly post incomplete works: http://www.flowstone.co.uk/support/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14042&p=46591&hilit=spogg&sid=8b2519f418eb0fd0e6fd5510ac5d249b&sid=8b2519f418eb0fd0e6fd5510ac5d249b#p46589
And if you recall yourself posing the question "why... Flowstone is getting such negative reviews", one of the reasons is because Flowstone makes it easy for people to quickly piece together semi-functional projects without a truly in-depth understanding of what they are doing. (Don't get me wrong - I'm no exception, and have been guilty of this myself.)

...image-less knobs which are made from primitives. They're very fast; But it seems like versions of Flowstone other than the FL Studio version of 3.08 have better redraw events when moving a knob.

Can you provide an example of what you're talking about?

But I guess what that says to Me is that there is still an issue which has been solved with a windows hack.

How exactly did you come to this conclusion?

And if that is the case; Than I'm sure it's present when You try to run it in Mac.

Making an assumption based off of the previous assumption, and no experience with the plug-in wrappers you're assuming work (but haven't tried)... seems legit.

Also, at one point during testing I'd thought there might be a stability issue with the slide primitives. I'd tested their functionality against ASM slides that doe the same thing. Even using a 100ms tick the slides were amazingly faster. It was scary how staggering it was to be honest. I presume that slides might be the only primitive that can handle affecting volume real time like in the way of an envelope.

What are you talking about? Do you have something against the use of a De-zipper prim? Why not post a schematic illustrating what you're trying to describe?

Did You know logic amongst others runs at only 1ms latency? FL Studio is rather slow by comparison. You might want to try NCH Mixpad for a VST testing environment. It will give You an idea of how Your plugin will standup. It runs innately at 1ms of nudge.

Nudge has absolutely NOTHING to do with latency. Nudge is a tool/keyboard-shortcut to move the position of a pre-recorded clip. That is independent of anything related to processing effects or audio throughput where latency comes into play.
ChrisHooker

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:32 pm

I respect Your opinion and note what You've written.

So, it's taken a lot of research and I have been working hard on making Plots and Graphs and readouts to make the manual as profound as possible. It has a lot of interesting data and research into the NEDF (Non Existent Delay Filter) which You can get an opinion regarding it.

The manual is now posted on the first post.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:28 pm

In the manual I'd planned a chorus/exciter effect. Decided against that due to the functionality of another product I'll be releasing named Bronislav 752. It's a very easy to use 5 band crossover EQ that allows the manipulation of stereo width in either linked or extremely un-linked ways. The effect seems best suited to that after some mixing and testing. Bronislav uses a bit more than 1% and has almost no colour.

Stay tuned for a three band EQ named the "Le Attol EQ" it's very pro sounding. To be honest the initial stage had a more cutting edge colour, but the new one sounds like the flattening effect that is common for television sound treatment. I've used it to master a track and it's worthy. Also, I painstakingly made sure that readouts for the knobs and the logarithms used to associate the turn to frequency are streamlined and simple to use.

It's one of the main reasons I held off releasing Bronislav. Thanks to Martin Vicanek for a very utilizable example for this btw.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:02 pm

So, I was tending to reliability. And so far so good. From an older reverb example (a Freeverb Port which Martin Vicanek had worked on) I found a very stable non-interpolated delay. It turned out well and I've been removing any kind of code that seems to stop the plugin from loading; Especially in the tense of multiple times.

I realize most are pretty busy, but if You have a chance and You spot any load issues please let Me know. I thought I'd make the final next and make sure the readouts have the exact result like that of an equalizer.

Thanks, Download on first post

For those looking for project ideas; I included some interesting modules labeled LA Tension which get rid of any slow GUI interaction. Also, various tweaks You might spot which could assist You like for the instance the way in which I tailor stereo width. It's a rather original implementation and I made sure there is outputted values so that You can compare and tweak to suit Your needs.
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

Postby wlangfor@uoguelph.ca » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:09 pm

Some nice knobs from the new version of hydra coming soon.

I'm making the math as streamlined as I can. In the tense of the width limiter I realized it wasn't enough to reduce but in the cases where it needs to add I need a fast way of achieving that as well. rather than a positive negative switch I conceived maybe a float scaler with negative an positive values; But getting My head around that is intense.

I've discovered ways of optimizing too that I hadn't explored previously. The new version of Hydra7 will be a good resource. Oh and btw I'll be adding an optional decibel selector. I guess it was made by Sam Mungall years back.

You suggest exactly what the dB, and it changes the volume to that. So rather than an AGC; It seems ideal. I of course though added code to do the same thing in My governed Gain rider though.

Here's the knobs:
knob files.rar
knob files ccby le attol
(35.38 KiB)
wlangfor@uoguelph.ca

PreviousNext

Return to User Examples